Just returned from the Westerdam

EbayCruiser

We just returned from the Westerdam and here are my thoughts and observations:

Embarkation: Very easy and quick, we got to the terminal around 11:00 and had to wait until 11:45 to start boarding but it went real quick. We went to the Lido and had lunch and it was not crowded at all.

Stateroom: We went to our stateroom right after lunch and the luggage was already there. We had a signature suite #8044. We book a SZ gty. and this cabin was very noisy. It is located right under the Lido Pool area & ping pong tables. We heard lots of noise at night starting around 8:00 p.m. that went on until Midnight or after. Lots of running, carts rolling, chair scraping, etc. The room was large enough and I posted pictures on Halfacts.

Dining: We ate all of our meals in the Lido or Dive-In. We were very disappointed in the food selection on this cruise. I have always praised HAL for the food and even commented several times on the RCI board that HAL's food is better but not on this cruise. The choices in the Lido for lunch and dinner was limited. We never saw a grilled chicken breast, steak or a baked potato the whole cruise. They did have what they called steak (a couple of times), one was minute steak and I can't remember what they called the other one but it was not a normal steak on the grill steak. I love Asian food so I was happy with the lunch buffet everyday but DH was NOT. He ate at the Dive-In at least four or five times and mostly pasta or spaghetti the rest of the cruise - very disappointing, he called it the hamburger cruise. The salad bar was very nice. We actually prefer the way they serve the salad now instead of self-serve. It is more sanitary. Desserts were very disappointing. Usually two or three choices and they were not very tasty. We usually ate ice cream. I did not see any crème brulee or tiramisu. They did have one no sugar added tiramisu one night. I did enjoy the bread pudding. They should serve it at dinner also.

Good News is I only gained 1 pound. :)

This is the first HAL cruise we have been on where the age demographics were so different. Not very many scooters or older patrons, mostly families and young adults. There were a lot of children on board but most were well behaved, we saw a few running in the pool area.

Entertainment: We do not do the shows on HAL (gave up on those a long time ago).

Ports: We went to Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk. The weather was very nice, in the 80's, with very little rain.

Embarkation: Our flight out of FLL was at 12:40 p.m. so we chose to disembark later and we left the ship around 9:30. Found our luggage and only had to wait 15-20 min. to get through customs. Went out to the taxi area and caught a taxi right away.

Airport: Lines were the worst we have ever seen at FLL. We were flying SW and we had to wait about 30 min. to check our bags. The security line was the longest we have ever seen, it stretched all the way back to the rental car area. It probably took us about 45 min. to get through security. They were letting people who had flights at 11:00 a.m. cut line to make their flight. The FLL airport is very small compared to other airports and considering the amount of traffic that goes through it. There were five ships in port and we have been there when there were eight. It was worse this time with just five. There were no seats at the gate, we had to wait until they started loading another plane to find a seat.

All in all, it was great to get away after Christmas and we had considered booking the Celebrity Reflection out of MIA and now wished we had. We have another cruise booked on HAL. We would cancel but it is a charter and we don't have any choice on the cruise line.

I know a lot of people have complained and said "it's just not the way it used to be and HAL has gone downhill". I think this is probably true for all cruise lines. We have no intention, at this time, in cruising HAL again (except the Charter). I think the other lines have more to offer in line of entertainment, nicer ships and possibly better food choices but that is just my opinion.

I am anxiously awaiting for the email from HAL to express my opinions to them. If that will make any difference.

Anyone have any questions, I'll try to answer.

Edited by EbayCruiser

Thank you for taking the time to write yojur review.

When we got home from our Ocotber Eurodam cruises, we also completed the surveys on line. DH was very unhappy about several things.

Never heard back from HAL.

KK and OP-

The surveys are good for quick notes but should not on their own be expected to generate a response. I know for some it has, but the surveys are primarily scanned through a machine and scores are determined.

To share complaints/other comments with the explicit goal of receiving a response:

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

or

800-599-8256

Thanks for your review. We were on the Westerdam on Deck 8 (aft balcony) last month and had a similar experience. We had a very nice cruise but had one horrible experience that made my husband say "This has changed my view of them forever."

Without getting into too many details, on night 3 of our cruise we came back from BB King and heard some noise on deck. It was unusually loud (more than the scraping of chairs) and there was a "thump thump thump" from a DJ. I called the desk - no change. Called again - no change. Went up to the aft pool and there was an ENORMOUS staff party. This wasn't early - this was 1AM. I am fairly young, live in NY and have done my fair share of clubbing. This was exactly that.

People were out in the hallways horrified at the noise. SIX trips to the desk, calls, and a personal visit from the night manager resulted in the noise being turned down by 1:30AM. So for 3 1/2 hours I was "sleeping" below Studio 54.

I went down to the desk personally in the morning to complain. When we returned to our room later that day there was a bottle of wine and a note. The bottle of wine was the same bottle of plonk we had been drinking in the dining room on the beverage package. I honestly started laughing hysterically. I went back to the desk and talked to the woman (she was very nice but now I am blanking on her name) and told her we got the wine. She said something like "well, at least you like it," and I said it's not like we have much of a choice on the package!

In the end we would up with a $50 OBC for 3 1/2 hours of annoyance and six different trips to the desk (some were at their request) - a cost of about $5/hour if I were to calculate it.

What p*ssed me off more than anything was that I was told by two different people that the Hotel Director was at that party and was fully aware of the complaints. I have sailed on the Westerdam before and LOVED the Captain and had a great cruise director but that issue really soured me on that ship. There seemed to be a lack of attention to detail.

Edited by 1884Vic

I did also forget to mention that glasses and coffee cups are now already on the tables in the Lido. I suppose this is for the staff in the Lido to pour or get your drinks for you. We were only offered a tea or coffee a couple of times. We always got our own drinks from the drink station, which I do not mind but sometimes there were no glasses at the drink station and you had to get one from a Lido table. I found it very odd, in that most of the time, no one was there to offer to get you a drink or refill your drink.

One night I had to remove the dirty plates from our table and a server was within two or three feet of us folding napkins and silverware. He saw me set the dirty plates down right beside him and did not offer to stop what he was doing and help. The service was not like it used to be for sure. There were plenty of bar servers standing around doing nothing because not many were ordering from the bar. Lots of bar servers but little or no Lido staff.

Did you look at the menus posted for the MDR? I don't usually have dinner at the Lido, but from what I've read on CC, I thought that the Lido dinner offerings usually include some/all of the MDR items. Did that not happen this time?

I only looked at the MDR menu on the last gala night when they were having Prime Rib and Baked Alaska. No prime rib in the Lido. I don't think the Lido serves what the MDR serves anymore. Otherwise surely there would have been one or two nights with a baked potato & where was the steak? Some type of mashed potatoes were served every night and carved lamb and pork were served most of the nights. Previous HAL cruises we have been on have served lots of steak and beef in the Lido. I am not a big steak eater but my DH does like steak. I prefer to have a grilled chicken breast which I never saw. They did have a grilled chicken breast in the Dive-In but it closes at 5:30 pm so was unable to get it during the dinner hour. They served chicken legs/thighs at least 3 nights (marinated differently each night). I liked them okay but prefer white meat.

I only looked at the MDR menu on the last gala night when they were having Prime Rib and Baked Alaska. No prime rib in the Lido. I don't think the Lido serves what the MDR serves anymore. Otherwise surely there would have been one or two nights with a baked potato & where was the steak? Some type of mashed potatoes were served every night and carved lamb and pork were served most of the nights. Previous HAL cruises we have been on have served lots of steak and beef in the Lido. I am not a big steak eater but my DH does like steak. I prefer to have a grilled chicken breast which I never saw. They did have a grilled chicken breast in the Dive-In but it closes at 5:30 pm so was unable to get it during the dinner hour. They served chicken legs/thighs at least 3 nights (marinated differently each night). I liked them okay but prefer white meat.

Had you considered having room service delivered? You can order off the full MDR menu for room service and that would include the "every day" options like chicken breast and steak like you mention

I'm really surprised you couldn't get a chicken breast. That's one of the "always available" items in the MDR, so you'd think they would show up at dinner once in a while. Maybe HAL figures if they're available at lunch they aren't needed at dinner?

If I had the "burger and pasta cruise," I'd be disappointed, too.

Both posters comments on the noise from the Lido deck above is important to note. While I often book a cabin on the deck below the Lido deck, I always check to be certain that it is under the carpeted area of the Lido dining area - never had an issue then.

I know that with a guarantee you did not have a choice, but for those who do have the option, please pay attention to these very helpful posts.

The Lido noise issue is one of the reasons that the SS cabins were changed to SY ones about 1-2 years ago. The SS cabins are now in a lower deck than most of the SYs, which is counter to what you expect on a ship (the higher up the better), but I am pretty sure this noise issue is the reason.

Both posters comments on the noise from the Lido deck above is important to note. While I often book a cabin on the deck below the Lido deck, I always check to be certain that it is under the carpeted area of the Lido dining area - never had an issue then.

I know that with a guarantee you did not have a choice, but for those who do have the option, please pay attention to these very helpful posts.

The Lido noise issue is one of the reasons that the SS cabins were changed to SY ones about 1-2 years ago. The SS cabins are now in a lower deck than most of the SYs, which is counter to what you expect on a ship (the higher up the better), but I am pretty sure this noise issue is the reason.

I'm always leery of being under the Lido. I haven't booked a Neptune suite on the S-class ships because they're below the Lido. I remember head-splittingly loud music at a chocolate extravaganza the Lido on Veendam some years ago. I was curious if it could be heard below, so I walked the hallway on the next deck down. The reverberation was incredible. If I'd spent all that money to get a NS and had to put up with that, I'd have been at the front desk screaming louder than a HAL Cat!

KK and OP-

The surveys are good for quick notes but should not on their own be expected to generate a response. I know for some it has, but the surveys are primarily scanned through a machine and scores are determined.

To share complaints/other comments with the explicit goal of receiving a response:

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

or

800-599-8256

I had several pretty major issues on the eurodam (same cruise as kk) and did send them an email. It was clear from their response they really didn't care. I felt they dismissed my concerns by sending me what amounted to a commercial. I don't write to Hal often but this was the worst and most uncaring email I have ever rec'd. My cruises in 2015 were basically a disappointment. I hope this year is better.

Ebay,

Thanks for your comments and observations, they were very timely. We leave on the Westie in 11 days for the same itinerary, also in a SZ guarantee. We're still waiting for the cabin assignment. Hopefully, it'll be lower than deck 8 (SS?) or at least beneath a relatively quiet part of lido.

When did you get your cabin assignment?

This is our first HAL cruise and we're already hoping that the reductions in food, service and entertainment you mentioned don't cause us to regret our decision to try HAL.

If that late staff party on deck was keeping to me up, I would've been P.O.d also, but then again, I just might have gone up/out and JOINED in the party (for at least as long as I could have bared listening to the "thump-thump" music)!

Edited by Av8tor

I'm sorry you had such a memorable cruise, for all the wrong reasons. Can you tell us why you chose not to eat in the dining room, rather than the Lido? It's sad to refer to this as a "hamburger cruise" simply because you chose not to use the main dining room or room service.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ebay,

If that late staff party on deck was keeping to me up, I would've been P.O.d also, but then again, I just might have gone up/out and JOINED in the party (for at least as long as I could have bared listening to the "thump-thump" music)!

Haha! I would have totally joined the party except it was closed off! I love dancing, loud music, fun and nonsense but know enough not to annoy other people. We aren't shrinking violets- we closed out every BB King set - so this normally wouldn't have been a problem. The stuff in our room was literally rattling.

I should have known better too. We chose this room for the view and the extra-large balcony. On our transatlantic in November we are aft once again - but on Deck 4! The crew can party as much as they want.

Ebay,

Thanks for your comments and observations, they were very timely. We leave on the Westie in 11 days for the same itinerary, also in a SZ guarantee. We're still waiting for the cabin assignment. Hopefully, it'll be lower than deck 8 (SS?) or at least beneath a relatively quiet part of lido.

When did you get your cabin assignment?

This is our first HAL cruise and we're already hoping that the reductions in food, service and entertainment you mentioned don't cause us to regret our decision to try HAL.

We booked this cruise last minute and got the cabin assignment with just a few days. You should be hearing something soon. I should have called and tried to move to another room as soon as we were assigned but I thought it would be okay.

I'm sorry you had such a memorable cruise, for all the wrong reasons. Can you tell us why you chose not to eat in the dining room, rather than the Lido? It's sad to refer to this as a "hamburger cruise" simply because you chose not to use the main dining room or room service.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We only ate in the MDR on our first Alaska cruise. My DH is a VERY picky eater (I cannot emphasize this enough). It is very hard to cook for him at home and we rarely eat the same things. He hates the time it takes in the dining room and feels like it is too "stuffy". He wants to see the food he is ordering and will not try anything new .... won't even taste foods he has never tasted. Did I say he was picky? Maybe a little difficult. Cruise food is mostly "foo foo" to him so there you go (I'm with him a little on this). LOL In the past, he has always found something to eat each night in the Lido but not this time.

He does like a good steak, baked potato and salad but we were out of luck on this cruise.

This is kinda funny. Every night he would ask for Butter Pecan Ice Cream in the Lido and they would say no. Butter Pecan is his favorite. On the last night, we walked around looking at the selections on the buffet and low and behold Butter Pecan was listed on the Ice Cream Station. He was so excited. By the time we had our dinner the Butter Pecan Ice Cream was gone and the sign taken down. They must have only had one tub! As we were leaving the buffet, he heard another man asking the server if they had any Butter Pecan Ice Cream and they said no. My husband said HA! and just laughed.

Haha! I would have totally joined the party except it was closed off! I love dancing, loud music, fun and nonsense but know enough not to annoy other people. We aren't shrinking violets- we closed out every BB King set - so this normally wouldn't have been a problem. The stuff in our room was literally rattling.

I should have known better too. We chose this room for the view and the extra-large balcony. On our transatlantic in November we are aft once again - but on Deck 4! The crew can party as much as they want.

Boy, having a public space closed off for a crew party AND making so much noise would have really pissed me off. If passengers can't go party in the crew spaces, they shouldn't party in passenger spaces. The CEO of HAL sure would've gotten a "nasty-gram" from me for that...

We consider ourselves to be very fortunate.

We do not have to fly down to FLL and board a 7 day HAL cruise to get an Applebees dinner.

We can jump in the car and be at one within 15 minutes. And at considerably less cost and with much better service.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. We went to Applebees tonight for dinner. While our meals were OK, they in no way compared with the quality of the meals we had almost every night of our 55 day cruise this fall. While the server was very pleasant and attentive, no comparison to the wonderful folks who waited on us for the 55 days.

Perhaps I missed something earlier in the thread, but does not the LIDO offer the every night steak, potato, salad that the MDR does? WE eat dinner in the MDR, and while I seldom order the steak, when I do the steak is just fine (NOT outstanding, but just fine when they serve it rare as I like.) If not rare - back it goes. Only once and then the steward knew I meant RARE and so brought me that anytime I had beef.

Edited by wander

Dining: We ate all of our meals in the Lido or Dive-In. We were very disappointed in the food selection on this cruise. I have always praised HAL for the food and even commented several times on the RCI board that HAL's food is better but not on this cruise. The choices in the Lido for lunch and dinner was limited. We never saw a grilled chicken breast, steak or a baked potato the whole cruise. They did have what they called steak (a couple of times), one was minute steak and I can't remember what they called the other one but it was not a normal steak on the grill steak. I love Asian food so I was happy with the lunch buffet everyday but DH was NOT. He ate at the Dive-In at least four or five times and mostly pasta or spaghetti the rest of the cruise - very disappointing, he called it the hamburger cruise.

We understand about the food. We just got off the Amsterdam and my dh said the best meal he had onboard was the Nathan's hot dog from the Dive-in!

He calls it the "hot dog" cruise!

BTW - We had Nathan's hot dogs for Christmas dinner. We were in a port on Christmas day and the dining room was closed.

When I did my survey I offered to send HAL's "Chef" copies of my cookbooks!

Different strokes for different folks as they say. We went to Applebees tonight for dinner. While our meals were OK, they in no way compared with the quality of the meals we had almost every night of our 55 day cruise this fall. While the server was very pleasant and attentive, no comparison to the wonderful folks who waited on us for the 55 days.

Perhaps I missed something earlier in the thread, but does not the LIDO offer the every night steak, potato, salad that the MDR does? WE eat dinner in the MDR, and while I seldom order the steak, when I do the steak is just fine (NOT outstanding, but just fine when they serve it rare as I like.) If not rare - back it goes. Only once and then the steward knew I meant RARE and so brought me that anytime I had beef.

No there was no STEAK in the Lido or what I would call a steak. They had some thin meat swimming in some kind of liquid that they called minute steak (we did not try it). No baked potatoes at all. We have always enjoyed the baked potatoes in the Lido but there were none on this cruise.