Staggered check in for Port of Miami

FlaMommy75

Same here. I was skeptical but I checked it anyways. It was a very creepy situation lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got the email for our Breeze cruise in March and I didn't find anything creepy about it. The sender was Carnival Do Not Reply and the title was " Carnival Cruise Line important notice". Nothing weird. I read the email and went on and selected the time. Everyone, even if the don't get an email, will figure it out because it will say that your Online Check In is not complete until you select a check in time.

What kind of email does everyone expect to get?

I have not received an email from Carnival, but I would assume our cruise leaving in just a few short days wouldn't be affected. What I was wondering about is my Vista cruise for next January. I didn't get an email about it, but I looked at the online check in and didn't see a place for it either.

It looks like Carnival sent out different emails. I received one with symbols and numbers, with "staggered checkin" mixed in. It came from Carnivalfax or something like that. I didn't know what it meant so I deleted it.

Now I went to checkin and there is a new button to select a time for checkin. Does anyone know if the checkin time will correspond to boarding time? I wonder how they will know how to stop people. I haven't noticed anything different on the boarding pass yet.

Edited by Davey Wavey

It looks like Carnival sent out different emails. I received one with symbols and numbers, with "staggered checkin" mixed in. It came from Carnivalfax or something like that. I didn't know what it meant so I deleted it.

Now I went to checkin and there is a new button to select a time for checkin. Does anyone know if the checkin time will correspond to boarding time? I wonder how they will know how to stop people. I haven't noticed anything different on the boarding pass yet.

The symbols and numbers indicate that something technical took a wrong turn a classic output when file transfers of data go haywire, I expect that will be fixed in short order. Your question regarding the relationship between check in and boarding is a good one. I expect there is a direct tie between the two but we will have to see how it bubbles up. perhaps people who have experienced it in Galveston or New Orleans can comment.

From what I've read you can board after you check in. Since they typically let people board early anyways.

Interesting how they are pointing the finger at the US Customs for keeping people out of the terminal if they arrive early.

Wonder how this goes down in July or August when it's a a gazillion degrees outside and the thunder-n-lightning are going off in a thunderstorm??? [emoji12]

c4aeaa7b3471a97a8276e5f6c47b31ca.jpg

- JPO

I believe they are referring to the terminal not being set up for check in before 10:00 or so - customs doesn't allow people in the terminal prior to the check in being "open." I don't think this has anything to do with the staggered times & Carnival (rather than Customs) not letting you in before your "scheduled" check in time.

Per JH just a little bit ago:

The new staggered check in times we have on ships sailing from Galveston, New Orleans and from March, Miami

Here is a general summary which I hope will answer those questions ( thanks Elaine)

Please know that everyone has to pick a time slot.

If you are Diamond/Platinum/have FTTF or booked a suite, you still need to choose a time slot but you can show up anytime you want and be allowed into the terminal.

If you are not one of those, then you need to show up at the time slot you picked and will be allowed immediate access into the terminal.

If you are late, you will be allowed in.

If you show up earlier than your assigned time slot, you will not be allowed to enter the terminal and depending on the Port, can either walk around and sight see or just hang around outside and wait.

And Yes, regardless of whatever time you show up, you are allowed to give your luggage to the Porters. In addition, please do kindly understand that this is for check-in time only and does not mean you are boarding at that time.

cheers

So after checking in do you just hang around inside the terminal? Because I would imagine that it's still going to become crowded eventually and then there's going to be a rush to board the ship when it's time, no?

Referencing doing the staggered check-in and being able to board after checking in:

Just off the Carnival Magic. Quick review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2298818

--

But then again I just re-read and they had FTTF also. Ugh, this is confusing.

Edited by LEXIpoo

My e-mail came in as unknown sender also. I deleted it. I came on here and saw this posted. I went back an undeleted it. I went and selected a time. I knew they were going to expand this staggered time but didn't realize it was going to be that soon.

On what page is the checkin window under "My Booking"? I want to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks!

I didn't get the email but logged in to my carnival account and was able to select a time for my May cruise out of Miami. Hope we get the time slot I selected!

On what page is the checkin window under "My Booking"? I want to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks!

I believe this is one of Carnival's brilliant ideas. We will have to wait and see how they work all of this out. They will have to try and see how to make it work. I don't see how it makes any difference if everyone just picks 10-10:30 AM. They are going to have to limit how many people can use that time. I hope they have a place for those not allowed inside to sit. I have the feeling this idea will not work out. How can they tell an older or disabled person to stay outside in the hot sun or rain because you showed up early. My question is how are people going to break this rule??? Someone must have an idea already of how to get around this new idea. Will people be photo shopping boarding passes next????

Relax and enjoy life,

My interpretation of everything I read is that you can't enter the terminal until your window, unless you are Platinum, FTTF, etc. As you enter, they check your boarding passes and proof of citizenship and presumably check you in. This is where "check-in" occurred on my last cruise.

Once you have entered the terminal, you go through the metal detectors and then wait for an available window for "key pick-up" as usual. I assume that, like before, those without priority boarding are still given a boarding zone number at that point and then board when their number is called. This usually starts well before the official time of 12:30 p.m., but it depends on the port and any delays in disembarking the last cruise. I doubt that staggered check-in is going to change this.

People who have earlier check-in windows and arrive during those windows will have lower boarding zone numbers and get called sooner. But they may still have to wait before their boarding number is actually called. Just like in the past when people arrived to check-in at 10 a.m. to be among the first called to board. Enforced staggered check-in just means that you can't enter and start the process until your window. It's a personal judgment call whether it is better to arrive later and have a later boarding time but likely less wait once you've checked in.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I just read that there is a limited amount of people who can check in at each time slot. I believe this will help Carnival know how many people will be checking in at a time. The terminal can get very packed at 11AM. The workers are non stop getting people processed. Carnival can figure out how many windows to have open for check in. Why have 17 workers around when you are only checking in 200 guest.

I would also hope it is for my safety too. All those guest packed into one area at the same time. If a fire was to happen how would we all get out safe?

I hope this idea helps and people show up when they are asked to. It will make check in much better.

Relax and enjoy life,

I just read that there is a limited amount of people who can check in at each time slot. I believe this will help Carnival know how many people will be checking in at a time. The terminal can get very packed at 11AM. The workers are non stop getting people processed. Carnival can figure out how many windows to have open for check in. Why have 17 workers around when you are only checking in 200 guest.

I would also hope it is for my safety too. All those guest packed into one area at the same time. If a fire was to happen how would we all get out safe?

I hope this idea helps and people show up when they are asked to. It will make check in much better.

Relax and enjoy life,

At the end of the day, the embarkation process will be markedly better.

Glad you were able to pick a time! It seemed like the email came out of no where and I wasn't even sure if it was real or not because it said "unknown sender" and was in my spam. Luckily I logged in and checked my account just in case.

Heh. My DH thought it was a virus, but I had heard about the staggered times from these boards, so that's why we opened it instead of deleting it.

THANKS, CRUISE CRITIC FORUMS!:D

So, there is no penalty for booking a time and not getting there until later?

I am able to choose a time for my October cruise but have not yet made travel arrangements. Should I just choose the earliest time I can?

I don't know if there are any repercussions for arriving after your scheduled time, but you should be allowed to change it in your profile if you book travel that won't have you getting to the terminal until, say, noon or something. There may be a cutoff for that, though.

Relax and enjoy life,

The terminal reaches maximum capacity every embark, leaving hundreds outside because boarding has not begun. Guests then get very testy with staff who stop the line before security.

I don't know if there are any repercussions for arriving after your scheduled time, but you should be allowed to change it in your profile if you book travel that won't have you getting to the terminal until, say, noon or something. There may be a cutoff for that, though.

You might not be able to change your check-in time as only a certain amount of people can sign up per time slot. So the time slots become unavailable as it gets closer and closer. The earlier you book, the more options you have. However, there's no penalty for arriving late, so booking the earliest available gives you the most flexibility.

Edited by Pesh

• 1 month later...