1 can cruise, 1 can't.

island284

I'm sure this has been answered many times but I'm not sure how to search it.

Final payment has been made by both of us, insurance paid for, balcony cabin. My cabin mate is now unable to go because of health issues. She will be contacting Royal and hopes the insurance will refund most, if not all, of her cruise fare. The cruise is about a month away.

So, what happens to me? Do I pay more to cover her share since I still want to go? I checked solo inside cabins and for one it's more than the two of us paid for our balcony way back when. Finding someone to replace her is NOT an option.

I look forward to any suggestions or previous experiences.

If she gets her $$ back from the cruiseline, you will have to pay for her share....the price of the cabin is based on DOUBLE occupancy. If insurance pays her, you'll be fine..the cruiseline still has it's money..the insurance reimburses her.

You folks need to stop thinking of the "per person" price...because the cost of the cabin is DOUBLE that! RCI has few (if any) solo cabins. If they do, they will cost more than the "per person" price for the cheapest cabin.

If she gets her $$ back from the cruiseline, you will have to pay for her share....the price of the cabin is based on DOUBLE occupancy. If insurance pays her, you'll be fine..the cruiseline still has it's money..the insurance reimburses her.

You folks need to stop thinking of the "per person" price...because the cost of the cabin is DOUBLE that! RCI has few (if any) solo cabins. If they do, they will cost more than the "per person" price for the cheapest cabin.

I don't think that was the OP's question - I think they were more concerned if they would have to pick up the other fare if her portion was reimbursed by insurance. I think, BTW, most people do understand the stateroom fare basis. :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You should not have to pay more because your friend can no longer take the cruise.

My mother was not able to cruise with us a few years ago due to a health issue. We had 2 adjoining cabins and on paper I was sharing one cabin with mum and my husband and the kids had the other cabin. Her insurance covered her out of pocket expenses and we still went on the cruise as planned. From an RCI perspective her cruise had been paid for so I did not have to pay any extra for being a single in the cabin.

I would advise your friend to see if she can be reimbursed via insurance as the cruise has passed final payment. In this case you will not be asked to pay more for being a single.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

We had two things happen to our cruise on Oasis Dec 12, 2015. My DH and I were suppose to go, but I broke my leg and elbow in a fall right before Halloween plus had a blood clot in leg on Thanksgiving. I was in rehab/skilled nursing until New Year's Day. I had separate insurance which covered me 100%. My DD was suppose to take her boyfriend, but they broke up right before the cruise. We had two of my DD friends going in a 3rd cabin and they did not have insurance. So DD went by herself so her friends weren't on the cruise by themselves. I called RCCL on Dec. 2 when I knew for sure I wasn't going on the cruise and neither was DD boyfriend. All they did for DD cabin is refund the taxes and port fees, excursions, and she wasn't charged any additional for a single cruiser. The advantage of calling and changing to solo is that she did get double points supposably. I paid for DD cabin anyway, so it didn't matter if she took someone or not...same price.

We had two things happen to our cruise on Oasis Dec 12, 2015. My DH and I were suppose to go, but I broke my leg and elbow in a fall right before Halloween plus had a blood clot in leg on Thanksgiving. I was in rehab/skilled nursing until New Year's Day. I had separate insurance which covered me 100%. My DD was suppose to take her boyfriend, but they broke up right before the cruise. We had two of my DD friends going in a 3rd cabin and they did not have insurance. So DD went by herself so her friends weren't on the cruise by themselves. I called RCCL on Dec. 2 when I knew for sure I wasn't going on the cruise and neither was DD boyfriend. All they did for DD cabin is refund the taxes and port fees, excursions, and she wasn't charged any additional for a single cruiser. The advantage of calling and changing to solo is that she did get double points supposably. I paid for DD cabin anyway, so it didn't matter if she took someone or not...same price.

I hope that you are healed and feeling better! :eek:

Pretty straightforward.

Royal won't refund the cruise but providing it is a legitimate reason the insurance will. As far as Royal are concerned they have been paid - the insurance don't get a refund from Royal either, so nothing more to pay on your part.

Henry :)

Pretty straightforward.

Royal won't refund the cruise but providing it is a legitimate reason the insurance will. As far as Royal are concerned they have been paid - the insurance don't get a refund from Royal either, so nothing more to pay on your part.

Henry :)

I agree. I have only used insurance once, and both my wife and I cancelled. But it seems that, as mentioned, since insurance reimburses the person who doesn't go, Royal is still paid. Therefore it should be the OP's cabin for no additional cost.

the insurance will require document taion of her part being canceled by RCCL 1st. When that happens it takes the cabin down to 1 person. RCCL will refund port fees and taxes. And being that close to sail date will more than likey keep the rest of the money. But since she has to cancel it will only show 1 person in the cabin and RCCL may and could make you pay more.

Let us know what happens.

A friend was going with me on a Coastal last year but she had to cancel about 6 month after I booked the cruise. Her Port Fees & Taxes were removed but the base fare for my cruise remained the same. Island who is the primary on the booking, if your name is listed as the primary then you may need to cancel her booking.

Edited by Desert Cruizers