Coming soon...Internet included in fare?

CleoT

I just got off the phone with a HAL rep, asking several questions and reserving a few things for our cruise in 10 days. While I had her on the phone I asked about Internet packages, figuring she'd tell me to inquire on the ship but since I had her on the phone I thought I'd give it a shot.

She told me that they were working on including the cost of Internet services in the cruise fare. This was the first time I'd heard of it so I thought I'd pass it on to all of you who are so generous in offering your knowledge/information. Maybe some of you have heard of this? She said it wouldn't be available for our cruise yet, and of course I need to inquire about rates once aboard, but it sounds like it might be coming fairly soon.

I just got off the phone with a HAL rep, asking several questions and reserving a few things for our cruise in 10 days. While I had her on the phone I asked about Internet packages, figuring she'd tell me to inquire on the ship but since I had her on the phone I thought I'd give it a shot.

She told me that they were working on including the cost of Internet services in the cruise fare. This was the first time I'd heard of it so I thought I'd pass it on to all of you who are so generous in offering your knowledge/information. Maybe some of you have heard of this? She said it wouldn't be available for our cruise yet, and of course I need to inquire about rates once aboard, but it sounds like it might be coming fairly soon.

I personally doubt that will end up being the case, simply because then it would TECHNICALLY mean that anyone that doesn't use it has been "overcharged" for their cruise...

That said though, it would certainly be an intriguing offer and something no one else offers outside of some luxury lines...

Agree: for those who want it - great. For those who don't use the internet much or not at all - subsidizing those who do is not good value idea.

Probably would lead to everyone using the internet and with the state of things with HAL's internet in general (just read Jeff's blog about how the previous HD called the Amsterdam's internet service "the worst of the fleet"), how would that work?

If HAL thinks this is the way to compete with the luxury lines or even the premium lines, they are delusional.

Edited by SilvertoGold

They can hardly provide acceptable service to the passengers who pay for Internet now so I'd have to wonder what leap in technology is going to open the Internet up to the whole ship? :confused:

As for the "I don't use it so I ought to pay for it" thought.....well....we only eat two meals a day routinely so maybe we ought to pay for three. :rolleyes::D

Edited by Randyk47

I certainly hope not!!

Over the last several years I have used the Internet only twice.

Once because we needed to get hold of our CPA as we were cruising during tax season. And the other time when friends of ours didn't show up for the cruise and we needed to get hold of them.

There is no way I would agree to pay a higher cruise fare for other people to use the Internet.

I had the same thoughts and tried to pry more information out of her but she kept saying she didn't have the details yet. I mean, even nicer hotels still charge for Internet, and even though unfortunately we'll need the Internet this cruise, I don't want it and wouldn't want to pay for it any other time.

Sometimes I wonder if they throw things out like this to keep us all talking and wondering what's coming next. lol.

They can hardly provide acceptable service to the passengers who pay for Internet now so I'd have to wonder what leap in technology is going to open the Internet up to the whole ship? :confused:

As for the "I don't use it so I ought to pay for it" thought.....well....we only eat two meals a day routinely so maybe we ought to pay for three. :rolleyes::D

Everyone eats on a ship. Some more, some less. Maybe you eat as much in two meals as I do in three? Do you want ala carte throughout the ship?

Internet is use it or not, a little, a lot - you pay now based on how much use use it. This seems fair to me.

Sometimes I wonder if they throw things out like this to keep us all talking and wondering what's coming next. lol.

That could be a strategy through an info leak, but, and I have no idea who you spoke to or what department they were in, they would not have left it to one of the underlings/helper monkeys in whatever department to leak that info.

Either that agent was GROSSLY mistaken or there's something in the works that they became aware of.

Are you able to say what department you heard this info from at least?

Everyone eats on a ship. Some more, some less. Maybe you eat as much in two meals as I do in three? Do you want ala carte throughout the ship?

Internet is use it or not, a little, a lot - you pay now based on how much use use it. This seems fair to me.

I was being "tongue in cheek". :) There are a lot of aspects of a cruise, call it the cruise experience if you will, that are part of the fare. Not everybody takes advantage of every aspect but they all pay for every aspect whether they use it or not. Now personally, as I stated before, I find it hard to believe they're going to open Internet access up to everybody, which would imply that the shared cost is rolled up in the basic fare, simply because of the technical challenge. Some day maybe but not with the limited bandwidth they're dealing with today and not without a significant outlay to make it happen.

The money HAL currently receives from internet charges, has to be almost pure profit, as it costs very little to provide this service. This is why so many businesses provide it for free, from donut shops to cheap motels.

So if they are going to give up this free money, they have to make up for it somewhere else.

I was being "tongue in cheek". :) There are a lot of aspects of a cruise, call it the cruise experience if you will, that are part of the fare. Not everybody takes advantage of every aspect but they all pay for every aspect whether they use it or not.

Totally agree. Everybody on board pays for the maintenance of the gym area but what percentage actually uses it :confused: Put a buffet table or a bar in that space and reservations would soon become necessary :D

... as it costs very little to provide this service. This is why so many businesses provide it for free, from donut shops to cheap motels.
A satellite connection is nowhere near as cheap as a land fiber-optic connection.

Edited by jtl513

The money HAL currently receives from internet charges, has to be almost pure profit, as it costs very little to provide this service. This is why so many businesses provide it for free, from donut shops to cheap motels.

So if they are going to give up this free money, they have to make up for it somewhere else.

None of the businesses you cite use satellite connectivity. Are you aware of what that costs? It ain't cheap.

I think a ship's satellite connection is a bit more expensive than the local, land based donut shop's. ;)

We just received this message off line. Just repeating the message but we cannot attest to its authenticity.

"I'm actually the person that she spoke with on the phones this morning and I believe that she misunderstood what I was telling her about the internet packages that we do offer. I stated that we are working towards a more inclusive package for internet that can be purchased onboard. meaning that it would encompass all uses of the internet. Not at any point to my knowledge did she ask if it was going to be included in the cost of the cruise."

We just received this message off line. Just repeating the message but we cannot attest to its authenticity.

"I'm actually the person that she spoke with on the phones this morning and I believe that she misunderstood what I was telling her about the internet packages that we do offer. I stated that we are working towards a more inclusive package for internet that can be purchased onboard. meaning that it would encompass all uses of the internet. Not at any point to my knowledge did she ask if it was going to be included in the cost of the cruise."

Thanks for sharing Walt. I know this employee from my HAL days and she has a brilliant attention to detail, seeks out answers to questions when she is unsure and doesn't just "spout off an answer" based on a hunch or speculation. She was very well trained and takes exceptional pride in her job. I would trust that the message is from her and am glad you shared her side of the story as well.

Edited by InTheWASide

Thanks for inquiring and replying! I'll be happy to admit I misunderstood, which is why I came on the boards to clarify/understand. :)

This makes much more sense. I had a quite a few questions/requests for her but when I got off the phone I thought, "did I hear her correctly?" Obviously I didn't. Sorry folks! :o

Thank you Host Walt for getting the truth of what was said.

This all makes sense now.