Disney Fantasy new horn for Star Wars day at Sea

Ex techie

This info might not be correct, but is what I was told by a CM.

Supposedly the horns on the Fantasy and Dream are electronic and can be programmed to play anything they wish. However, they can only do it when the ship is out of service because legally they must have a functioning horn while she is operating. They can't be programming the horn during times that it must be functional. Again, techie and some others here have better connections than I have and better understanding of maritime laws. I'm only relaying what I was told.

Mokismommy,

I think the CM may have been confused.

All ships need to have a full functioning navigational warning horn to set sail. This is traditionally an air powered horn to get the appropriate sound level high enough to warn other ships or vessels within the prescribed distance set out by the IMO I would think.

The "musical horns" on both the Magic class and Dream class are purely for entertainment value, and you are absolutely correct in that the Dream class uses speakers to replicate the sound of the air horns the Magic class use. (they don't sound the same and the Dream class sound tinny to my ears).

However they all have a "fog" horn for use of a better word. On the Magic class it is on the Aft smoke stack, and the musical horns are on the Forward stack.

Not sure about the Dream class.

To play a new tune on the Dream class speakers, all that takes is someone shoreside to create a new MP3 file, bring it aboard the ship and upload the file.

They already know the parameters of the speakers capability and how they have been set up.

They actually blew a few of the speakers shortly after the Dream was launched and had to replace them!

But it certainly doesn't require taking the dream class ships out of service to play a new tune as her navigational and warning horn is entirely separate.

HTH's!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

In fact, here is a picture of the Disney Dream class speakers to replicate the musical air horns on the Magic class

You can see the sub woofers just to the left of the red section of funnel in from of the smoke stacks, and the other horn speakers dotted around the upper ring of the decorative top part.

maxresdefault.jpg

ex techie

Thanks' date=' Techie....knew you'd have the inside scoop.

I guess servers don't know all the technical stuff on the ships.:)[/quote']

Absolutely!

Techs might know servers spaces a little when they have to check the speakers or lighting, but MDR servers work in a different part of the "town" that is a cruise ship.

They both know a little about each others environments or how they work, but not in detail.

All I know is that I would NEVER want to work as a server and have to do their job. A massive hats off to to them for their hard work in a very challenging environment!

ex techie

Enjoy!

I hope your weather is a lot better!

We had wind/rain in Cozumel, then couldn't dock at Castaway Cay because of the weather.

The whole last day was windy, rainy and COLD!

I was also on this cruise. I thought Star Wars Day at Sea was well done, and the grandkids had a ball. We didn't even get off the ship in Cozumel, since the weather was so horrible. Have been there several times, and with a 2 and 3 yo, we hadn't really planned on doing anything there anyway.

Loved the new movie.