Own Wine in MDR

Tedferg

If you bring wine on board, pay corkage fee and take it to MDR do they retain the unfinished bottle for next night or do you have to take it back to cabin ?

DW usually has just a glass at dinner and two no-corkage bottles would be sufficient for pre-dinner cabin drinks. Would be convenient not to have to go back to cabin after dinner.

They will hold it for you BUT if you change dining rooms such as with anytime dining they sometimes have trouble finding it. If you are traditional fixed table then they find it instantly.

They lost our bottle on Island Princess, in same dining room - it was quite a to-do before they found it. Even bringing over the waitress from prior night's table - she said we had probably finished it already. I knew there was half a bottle because of DW limited consumption. I said, 'Just give us a glass of white wine and call it quits', but they searched and eventually found it.

They will hold it for you BUT if you change dining rooms such as with anytime dining they sometimes have trouble finding it. If you are traditional fixed table then they find it instantly.

This happened a few years back. I swore I was in the same A/T dining but it turns out I wasn't. They did find it. Then this year, I dropped a bottle of Veuve with the MD about 45 mins. before dinner as it was cold and I didn't want to carry it. It took them a good 20 mins. to find it, even though I kept asking them to check with the MD.

When they store your partially-consumed bottle of wine for the next dinner, do they store it under refrigeration or is it just placed in a closet?
We drink red wines. They've always stored it at room temperature. I'm assuming they have a separate place to store white wines at the appropriate temp.

We drink red wines. They've always stored it at room temperature. I'm assuming they have a separate place to store white wines at the appropriate temp.

When we had a galley tour during a Chef's Table they had different storage areas for reds & whites which as I recall were stored at an appropriate temperature.

When they store your partially-consumed bottle of wine for the next dinner, do they store it under refrigeration or is it just placed in a closet?

My experience has been that they chill what needs to be chilled and keep what needs to be at room temp at room temp :-)

I drink riesling and it was chilled and on ice when we arrived while DH had red wine and it was on our table (traditional seating)

We always bring wine on board for enjoyment at dinner.

Yes, they are stored at the right temp. They will also ice a bottle of dessert wine at your table for consumption the same night.

They should ask for your key card when they store your bottle of wine for you. It is a good idea that you make a quick check what they write on your bottle before they take it away to make sure it is correct, and legible.

It is also a good idea to ask your waiter if he/she would like a sample if you are bringing on something special, or that you really enjoy. Just good manners, especially if you have the same waiter each night.

:D

AC