Carnival corp please read

Cruisegirl6

The Miami terminals are not big enough to hold the increasing numbers of passengers and who are arriving earlier and earlier. Some are pulling up at 8 am. Those people have to sit outside with no access to facilities until about 10am. Around about 11-11:30 am, the terminal is full of people, many who have gotten their S&S cards and are waiting to board. That could be an hour yet or more. They end up preventing anyone more including those with Priority into the terminal at all until the zones are boarding reducing the number of people inside the terminal since the terminal has reached fire capacity. There are lines left outside, in the Miami heat, many of whom take out their frustration on any visible Carnival or port personnel.

In Miami, people will be able to enter the port. They just will be prevented from entering the terminal.

That Miami situation sounds horrible!:eek: In addition to everything else that would stink about being stuck outside in that hot, angry crowd, I'd be P.O.ed if I, as a priority guest, wasn't able to even get inside.:mad: If this is the case (and I don't doubt you), I can see why they're trying to do something to alleviate it. Unlike the OP, I don't think staggered check-in is "unfair" - I just think the system has some flaws in it.

Maybe by allowing people to enter the terminal building but not allowing them to check in and receive their S&S card until their allotted time. That would discourage people from coming early unless they had nowhere else to go and allow the check in lines to go smoothly like they want.

I think that's a fair compromise.

Give people a place to sit; air conditioned, water fountains, vending machines, toilets are all inside the terminal. Sure, maybe they can't "check in" but they have gone through security and can cool their heels on the benches.

Blocking them outside of terminals like Miami is just begging for issues. It is hot, humid, no respite from the sun. Not everyone has complete control down to the minute of when they arrive and to be held outside is just not right.

Then you call "check ins" in zones or time slots from that point on. It's not about getting on the ship first, it's about having a reasonable place to wait when you have to vacate your hotel, or get there at 11AM because that's how travel arrangements worked out.

Yeah, everyone is choosing 10:30AM now, but eventually SOMEONES got to end up with the 2:30PM slots...

Give people a place to sit; air conditioned, water fountains, vending machines, toilets are all inside the terminal. Sure, maybe they can't "check in" but they have gone through security and can cool their heels on the benches.

Blocking them outside of terminals like Miami is just begging for issues. It is hot, humid, no respite from the sun. Not everyone has complete control down to the minute of when they arrive and to be held outside is just not right.

Then you call "check ins" in zones or time slots from that point on. It's not about getting on the ship first, it's about having a reasonable place to wait when you have to vacate your hotel, or get there at 11AM because that's how travel arrangements worked out.

Yeah, everyone is choosing 10:30AM now, but eventually SOMEONES got to end up with the 2:30PM slots...

and then there is Long Beach: no waiting area for the masses and room for only 40 in the Captain's Lounge.

Edited by sanmarcosman

and then there is Long Beach: no waiting area for the masses and room for only 40 in the Captain's Lounge.

That doesn't sound like any fun at all. I have never been there, but am familiar with Miami. I realize not all terminals are the same; and depending on the ship that is boarding can range from 2K guests to 4K guests.

I can agree with that and have said as much before. Next best thing though, is just to do as asked and then abide by the time you choose. I know not everyone agrees.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I agree. what is wrong with saying what you are going to do and then doing what you said? I should not be made to feel guilty because I plan to get there at 10:30 and then tell them that is when I am going to get there. If a significant number of P/D's and FTTF people start showing up earlier than they say they are going to and clog up the process, I can justifiably see them taking away the "board at your leisure" privilege.

Or require them to choose a time like everyone else and come either at that time or later. As a Plat, I would not have any problem doing this.

Other Ps, Ds, and FTTFs may not be happy with having one of their perks taken away.

The Miami terminals are not big enough to hold the increasing numbers of passengers and who are arriving earlier and earlier. Some are pulling up at 8 am. Those people have to sit outside with no access to facilities until about 10am. Around about 11-11:30 am, the terminal is full of people, many who have gotten their S&S cards and are waiting to board. That could be an hour yet or more. They end up preventing anyone more including those with Priority into the terminal at all until the zones are boarding reducing the number of people inside the terminal since the terminal has reached fire capacity. There are lines left outside, in the Miami heat, many of whom take out their frustration on any visible Carnival or port personnel.

In Miami, people will be able to enter the port. They just will be prevented from entering the terminal.

Serves them right for getting there at 8 am.

Just an honest question, not trying to stir anything, but if you were a new cruiser and someone talked you into going on a cruise and did not explain this issue to you and you booked through a travel agent and they said nothing. And you got the 3pm board time and then felt rushed to find a muster station , can't get food or just relax, how would you feel? Would you be mad at the TA for not telling you? Or if they did you would you continue with the booking. Just a curious question.

Just an honest question, not trying to stir anything, but if you were a new cruiser and someone talked you into going on a cruise and did not explain this issue to you and you booked through a travel agent and they said nothing. And you got the 3pm board time and then felt rushed to find a muster station , can't get food or just relax, how would you feel? Would you be mad at the TA for not telling you? Or if they did you would you continue with the booking. Just a curious question.

If I were a new cruiser, I would just assume that was the way it is, and more than likely how it has always been. Those who have never cruised should have the easiest time excepting this procedure. They have never experienced anything different.

The only other solution I see to this is to not have any time on the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF boarding passes.

Let me put your mind at ease. I didn't check to see if you've cruised since the new program went into place, so here's our experience.

We just sailed on our 25th milestone aboard the Triumph on December 28 from Galveston. The drop down box for check in times was wide open for us, and we selected the earlier time.

Being suspect, I called Carnival ready to give them a piece of my mind about being forced to arrive in the time slot, how we make a casual morning of breakfast, shower, load the car and then drive over to the terminal, etc.

Carnival has platinum and diamonds check in at their leisure still, that hasn't changed. The only thing is all guests must choose a time for their system.

The mess was once inside the entire group rushed the cue area after the wedding parties were taken aboard. We had to push our way to the front to board when platinum and diamond was called next. Not many friends were made doing that...

Edited by BallFour4

There are experienced cruisers who prefer to arrive later in the day. In fact up until a few years ago we never got to port before 2 pm. We shoot for a little earlier now but you don't miss out on anything in my opinion by taking your time to show up. The buzz and rush is part of the experience.

We will be taking a newbie with us this Summer and she has no clue about checking in other than what we have told her. Last thing she needs Is to be overwhelmed with a bunch of semantics. Many people only obsess over after they become veteran cruisers. For the record the TA we use has sent out an email to the entire group explaining how to pick a check in time. Nobody registered a problem with it.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

It is exactly this rationale that has led to the introduction of a staggered check in process. The "me first" attitude of wanting to get on the ship at the soonest opportunity to get maximum benefit of the first day is the crux of the problem. A large number of pushing, shoving, desperate people clogging the terminal as soon as the doors open creates unnecessary chaos, delays and long waits for everyone.

Staggered check in solves that problem.

However, there will still be those who can't grasp the greater benefit because they can't see past their own selfish perspective.

If you want to be one of the first to board, you have several options: have Platinum status, purchase FTTF or select one of the first check in times.

The problem is you don't want to be limited in your options and want the freedom to let everyone show up early and shove your way to the front.

In the greater scheme of things a couple hours difference in when you board is insignificant, even if you have mobility issues and a desperate need for immediate and multiple martinis.

The big picture is there if you choose to see it. I reckon the haze is too great for you to do so.

A big AMEN to you.

At least try the staggered check-in before writing a letter of complaint about it.

You may:

A) Find it works really well, or

B) have a complaint specific to your situation in your letter. Carnival will probably take it more seriously than a random vent on a message board from someone only writing about "things they've heard".

The other issue is people who get an email telling them when to arrive yet they ignore it and go Early anyway

My understanding is that those who arrive early will not be be able proceed to checkin until their designated check in time.

My understanding is that those who arrive early will not be be able proceed to checkin until their designated check in time.

That is the case with this new process. The post you quoted was referencing the old system and how people routinely ignored it....entirely. ....and proudly advised others to do the same.

Or require them to choose a time like everyone else and come either at that time or later. As a Plat, I would not have any problem doing this.

It's not like Carnival loyalty program is all that great but I DO have problems with this. They have taken away enough from the Diamond and Platinum program.

It's not like Carnival loyalty program is all that great but I DO have problems with this. They have taken away enough from the Diamond and Platinum program.

Without rereading the entire thread, how does this take always things from the loyalty program?

Aren't you given a choice to choose what time you want to arrive? for May 15 Breeze from Galveston I chose 10 am to 10:30 am... I like that you are able to choose not them choosing for you.

You are given a choice ...to a point .. Once a time window is filled , They move on to the next time slot ..say 10-10:30 gets filled , The next earliest slot is 10:30 -11 , it fills and on to the next , Not sure how many per slot