If you could choose one beef entree - which would it be (list included for reference)

batt01

Actually, what makes a tenderloin is WHERE IT COMES FROM on the animal.

I didn't say that tenderness is what makes it a tenderloin. I said that is what makes it such a prized cut of beef, because it is so tender. But yes, the tenderloin is a specific cut from a specific location, which is why what you linked to is called a "petite tender" or "shoulder tender" and NOT called a "tenderloin" at all.

And I don't understand why you say there is "no way" they're carving up true tenderloins. The carved tenderloin is easier than serving filet mignon steaks, because they can roast whole tenderloins and slice it, rather than cooking an individual steak for each portion. Sure, they could do it with shoulder tender, as well, and it would be a bit cheaper. But if they do that, and call it beef tenderloin, rather than beef tender, then they are being dishonest on their menu.

Edited by Paul65

Of course a braised meat is very flavorful, that's the whole purpose of preparing it that way:D:rolleyes:

No, the purpose of preparing that way is to make a less tender cut of beef easier to eat, because the braising process breaks down the tougher connective tissues.

Edit: I see you expanded on your post to include some of that information, when you realized you were wrong about flavor being the "whole purpose" of braising.

Edited by Paul65

No, the purpose of preparing that way is to make a less tender cut of beef easier to eat, because the braising process breaks down the tougher connective tissues.

Well that's exactly what I meant. I guess it also makes it flavorful:rolleyes:

I didn't say that tenderness is what makes it a tenderloin. I said that is what makes it such a prized cut of beef, because it is so tender. But yes, the tenderloin is a specific cut from a specific location, which is why what you linked to is called a "petite tender" or "shoulder tender" and NOT called a "tenderloin" at all.

And I don't understand why you say there is "no way" they're carving up true tenderloins. The carved tenderloin is easier than serving filet mignon steaks, because they can roast whole tenderloins and slice it, rather than cooking an individual steak for each portion. Sure, they could do it with shoulder tender, as well, and it would be a bit cheaper. But if they do that, and call it beef tenderloin, rather than beef tender, then they are being dishonest on their menu.

If you want to believe they are actually paying the cost to serve tenderloins (filet) for that dish, good for you.:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

If you want to believe they are actually paying the cost to serve tenderloins (filet) for that dish, good for you.:rolleyes:

They used to serve full filet mignon steaks. This dish is a definite cost cutter from that. And the serving is generally three or four slices that probably amount to maybe 4 oz at most. It's not an incredibly expensive dish to prepare. If you want to believe that are lying about what cut of meat they are serving, good for you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Paul65

Actually, many of the tougher cuts of meat are just inherently more flavorful, but they are tough to eat, unless you prepare them properly.

I've carved up many a head of cattle. And deer and elk and caribou. I don't need a lecture on the cuts of meat, whether its in regard to the flavor or anything else.

Whole tenderloins are actually not very expensive at all, especially when you consider the ratio of edible meat to what gets discarded compared to something like a rib roast where you are paying quite a bit for bones and fat.

If a normal person can buy a whole tenderloin on sale at a BJ's or Costo or ever a Super Wal-Mart for 6.99 per lb on sale, I'd imagine RCL can get it for nearly nothing.

I've carved up many a head of cattle. And deer and elk and caribou. I don't need a lecture on the cuts of meat, whether its in regard to the flavor or anything else.

Okay. I was just correcting your misinformation about flavor being the "whole purpose" in braising. I'm done bickering with you. I was just curious of the source of your information that they were falsely claiming to be serving "tenderloin." And I got the answer, which was, "I know I saw it somewhere." So that tells me exactly how much faith to put in your knowledge. Cheers.

If a normal person can buy a whole tenderloin on sale at a BJ's or Costo or ever a Super Wal-Mart for 6.99 per lb on sale, I'd imagine RCL can get it for nearly nothing.

That was my thought. The portion they serve per person is probably $1 to maybe $1.50 max worth of beef at wholesale cost. I don't think it is breaking the bank on food costs to carve up whole tenderloins.

Anyway, I do like the carved tenderloin, as well as the braised beef. Not as much of a fan of prime rib, but it's not bad.

Okay. I was just correcting your misinformation about flavor being the "whole purpose" in braising. I'm done bickering with you. I was just curious of the source of your information that they were falsely claiming to be serving "tenderloin." And I got the answer, which was, "I know I saw it somewhere." So that tells me exactly how much faith to put in your knowledge. Cheers.

Enjoy the "tenderloin". :D As I said early on, whatever it is, it's not bad:) I'll ignore your parting insult and let you have the last dig......

Edited by bouhunter

That was my thought. The portion they serve per person is probably $1 to maybe $1.50 max worth of beef at wholesale cost. I don't think it is breaking the bank on food costs to carve up whole tenderloins.

Anyway, I do like the carved tenderloin, as well as the braised beef. Not as much of a fan of prime rib, but it's not bad.

and from a supply perspective, every cow is going to produce 2 tenderloins and 2 rib roasts and you'll get close to the same # of servings out of each (maybe a couple more out of the rib roast). It's not like a tenderloin has 5 portions and a rib roast has 20.

Plus there's the whole problem of it being straight up false advertising to call a meal beef tenderloin when it isn't. It's not like the definition is flexible.

and from a supply perspective, every cow is going to produce 2 tenderloins and 2 rib roasts and you'll get close to the same # of servings out of each (maybe a couple more out of the rib roast). It's not like a tenderloin has 5 portions and a rib roast has 20.

Plus there's the whole problem of it being straight up false advertising to call a meal beef tenderloin when it isn't. It's not like the definition is flexible.

How does a "rib roast" factor into anything? Do you even know the difference between a loin and a tenderloin?

Oh yeah FYI there is a difference between a cow and a steer. Most of your steaks come from one and not the other.

Edited by bouhunter

OK - I'm not a big beef eater and will probably order it once during my 7 night cruise. What is your favorite of the following? I know it depends on preference, but what is yours? Any to stay away from, in your opinion?

Slow-Roasted Prime Rib

Carved Filet of Beef Tenderloin

Veal Scaloppine Oscar

Surf and Turf: Petit filet mignon, baked jumbo shrimp

Braised Beef Duo: short rib, beef shoulder

Aged Hand-Cut Manhattan Strip Steak (available every night)

Now...it's been more than a year since our last cruise, but from this list I would probably go with surf and turf.

The last prime rib was below average. In fact, on our last cruise most people we spoke with complained about the beef...overwhelmingly the two biggest complaints were bland and not cooked correctly.

I also have learned the hard way to always ask about the aging process. Some of them can make the steak taste "odd" if they are not cooked very carefully.

Oh yeah FYI there is a difference between a cow and a steer. Most of your steaks come from one and not the other.

Ooh...he used the word "cow" instead of "steer"... You really got him there with your superior knowledge.

By the way, a rib roast figures into to disputing your ridiculous assertion that there is "no way" they're carving true tenderloins. It was introduced into the conversation to illustrate that for a given normal portion size, the carved tenderloin (even if they're not lying about it being tenderloin), is likely no more expensive for the cruise line than the prime rib they serve (which I assume, with your vast, superior knowledge, you know comes from a rib roast).

Edited by Paul65

Ooh...he used the word "cow" instead of "steer"... You really got him there with your superior knowledge.

By the way, a rib roast figures into to disputing your ridiculous assertion that there is "no way" they're carving true tenderloins. It was introduced into the conversation to illustrate that for a given normal portion size, the carved tenderloin (even if they're not lying about it being tenderloin), is likely no more expensive for the cruise line than the prime rib they serve (which I assume, with your vast, superior knowledge, you know comes from a rib roast).

Wow. I guess you can't let it go like you said you were going to. :)

Edited by bouhunter

Wow. I guess you can't let it go like you said you were going to. Get a life and move on. Enjoy your "tenderloin" and be happy with your own ridiculous assertions and lies and vast superior knowledge........

Well, I stepped back in, because you started jumping on someone else with your pettiness, once I left. You need to just stop it. If you are so convinced, for whatever reason, that it's impossible that RC would serve a few slices off a "real beef tenderloin" for one menu option out of the week, then give some back up for that, rather than just trying to cut down someone else for saying cow rather than steer, or pretending they don't know the difference between a loin and a tenderloin (even though there was nothing said to suggest that).

You want to seem like Mr. Know-it-all? Then back up what you say.

Well, I stepped back in, because you started jumping on someone else with your pettiness, once I left. You need to just stop it. If you are so convinced, for whatever reason, that it's impossible that RC would serve a few slices off a "real beef tenderloin" for one menu option out of the week, then give some back up for that, rather than just trying to cut down someone else for saying cow rather than steer, or pretending they don't know the difference between a loin and a tenderloin (even though there was nothing said to suggest that).

You want to seem like Mr. Know-it-all? Then back up what you say.

You are too funny!:D Take a pill and relax.

Sorry to everyone else about the diversion of this thread. I was just curious why someone thought the dish advertised as beef tenderloin was something other than beef tenderloin, and it turned into a macho display to hide the fact that there was no real evidence of the menu description being dishonest. It doesn't really matter, though, as long as you like the dish. :cool:

Filet of beef is your best bet. I agree with others that the prime rib they serve now is of lower quality- the texture is weird and it has no taste.

When did you last have it? There have been many times I would agree with that statement, but on my last 2 cruises I found it pretty good. I was hoping that is a trend. I think on both my 2014 Jewel cruise and my 2015 Cruise I ordered something else, but ended up trying it when my wife ordered it and it was very good for those two cruises.

How does a "rib roast" factor into anything? Do you even know the difference between a loin and a tenderloin?

You said "There is no way they are carving up true beef tenderloins for that dish for thousands of people. " Perhaps I foolishly assumed you were implying tenderloin would not be served due to price and/or availability. Feel free to provide the clarity to your statement the makes my cost/availability comparison to "prime" rib (maybe we can at least agree there's no way it's actually prime graded)?, since they carve up that dish for thousands of people as well.

Congratulations - you caught me making a minor terminology mistake that nobody outside of the meat processing world knows or cares about. I bet if you look hard enough, you can even find a comma I should have used but didn't.