Ideas for packing...

I've got a list of extra things to pack for the cruise. I'm travelling with my husband, parents, DD (12) and DS (11).

* Power board

* Behind the door organiser (to hold sunscreen, glasses, sea pass cards, etc)

* Corkscrew/bottle opener

* Small sewing kit with safety pins

* Small first aid kit (band aids, aspirin/panadol, dettol cream, etc)

* Commander hooks (for totes, hats - these hooks are easily removable and won’t

mark the walls)

* Rid

* Sunscreen

* Binoculars (small pair)

* Coin purse/small wallet for day trip rather than taking the whole handbag

* Small over shoulder bag

* Fold up umbrella

* Large zip loc bags (only a few)

* Soap in dispenser for bathroom

* Small LED torch

* Highlighters (to highlight activities that you want to do)

* Wipes / hand sanitizer

Is there anything I've forgotten, or something you've taken along that has made life a little easier on board?

Thanks,

Looks a lot like my miscellaneous list I have filed under "what to pack for a cruise". I also add a compass (like to know the direction I'm going in), some, plastic masking tape... have used it a few times for minor repairs, and a small camping clothes line and pegs which I have used on the balcony when we are at sea.

I've got a list of extra things to pack for the cruise. I'm travelling with my husband, parents, DD (12) and DS (11).

* Power board

mark the walls)

* Rid

* Sunscreen

* Fold up umbrella

* Small LED torch

* Wipes / hand sanitizer

Is there anything I've forgotten, or something you've taken along that has made life a little easier on board?

Thanks,

OK so there is only 2 of us so my opinion may not count for some items but these are my thoughts:

Power board Be careful, it may get confiscated

* Behind the door organiser (to hold sunscreen, glasses, sea pass cards, etc)have never needed one but as I said there is only 2 of us

* Corkscrew/bottle opener again have never needed one, don't take our own wine

* Small sewing kit with safety pins yes

* Small first aid kit (band aids, aspirin/panadol, dettol cream, etc)Yes. Also consider things like strepsils, antibiotics, and any other sundry medicines you might need

mark the walls)again I don't need them but might be a good idea with kids

* Rid yes

* Sunscreenyes. Maybe some After Sun/Aloe Vera as well

* Binoculars (small pair)Yes

* Coin purse/small wallet for day trip rather than taking the whole handbagyes

* Small over shoulder bagyes

* Fold up umbrellayes

* Large zip loc bags (only a few)yes

* Soap in dispenser for bathroompersonal opinion - have never bothered, the soap is fine.

* Small LED torchyes, especially if in inside cabin. We use the torch app on our phones

* Highlighters (to highlight activities that you want to do)yes

* Wipes / hand sanitizeryes - good for shore trips

I also like to take air freshner - especially good when 4 people are sharing the same facilities.

It is so hard to decide what you really need. I always make a list and then adjust the list to include things we needed or delete things off the list if we didn't use/didn't really need certain items.

* Power board

Will be confiscated given back at end of cruise

why if you buy a bottle of wine in the restaurant and take it back to cabin it will be open

Will be confiscated at airport if you have scissors

Yep

* Commander hooks (for totes, hats - these hooks are easily removable and won’t mark the walls)

* Rid

Yep

* Sunscreen

Yep

water proof bag for swimming money, cruise card

* Fold up umbrella

supplied

* Small LED torch

yep

bingo

* Wipes / hand sanitizer

YEP

* Behind the door organiser (to hold sunscreen, glasses, sea pass cards, etc)have never needed one but as I said there is only 2 of us

* Corkscrew/bottle opener again have never needed one, don't take our own wine

Pretty sure I have read that several lines have banned the over the door things due to the amount of damage they were causing the doors. And honestly - even the smallest cabins have more than enough drawers and counter space for "stuff".

Majorty of wine bottles are screw top these days, if not the bar tender can open for you.

Will be confiscated at airport if you have scissors

Only if they are pointed or oversized. (sizes are listed on the airlines and ships websites).

I also like to take air freshner - especially good when 4 people are sharing the same facilities.

Yep compulsory for anyone in a shared cabin. Try to ensure its a pump action (nice quality orange oil ones in the laundry aisle are 100mls and last years with only half a sqirt needed and good for the environment).

I've never had a power board confiscated, but I agree it's always a possibility. Try to take one that has no surge protection, this is what they don't like. Mine have always been passed through.

If you're taking sharps, like scissors, safety pins, nail files etc, pack them in your checked luggage. You just can't take them with you in a the plane's cabin. Checked luggage is totally fine.

Last trip I took a multi-USB charger unit with about 5 USB ports. Charged all our phones, camera, tablets etc from the one unit. Did a great job.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qumox-5-Ports-Multi-USB-Power-Charger-battery-Wall-charger-for-iphone-ipad-s3-s4-/271594831323?hash=item3f3c503ddb:g:LckAAOSwstxVKIyh

Powerboards - some types will indeed be confiscated.

Scissors - the ships themselves have restrictions.

As per the list here on RCs own page:

Prohibited Items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

• Tools including axes, hammers drills, drill bits, saws & tools greater than 7 inches in length.

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with a blade length of 10.2cm (4 inches) or more.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

• Hookahs & Water Hookah pipes

• Illegal Drugs & Substances

• Candles & Incense

• Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travelling Irons & Hot Plates

• Sporting goods including Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

• Bicycles, Skateboards & Surfboards

• Martial Arts Gear

• Self-Defence Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

• Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

• HAM Radios

• Powerboards/extension cords

• Dangerous Chemicals, including chlorine, spillable batteries, gas cylinders, bleach and paint.

• Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from ships on board will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

As Greenstream said - it is the powerboards with surge protection that cruise ships don't like. Last year I saw a poster with information on what can happen with one of those boards and photos of fires they caused. I don't think we photographed it at the time.

Another suggestion - We take small button size magnets (any size will do) to put the Princess Patter up on the wall of the cabin. All the walls are metal. The Patter you get when you board has the itinerary for the whole cruise. We put that up, then each night, the new one is placed over the lower half of Day 1 Patter, then continue for each day putting them on top of the previous day. That way, for the whole cruise, the schedule with arrival/departure times is on the wall to see. (I hope I explained that logically.) Photos of our family are also put on the wall with magnets. :D

Edited by Aus Traveller

Royal Caribbean will definetly confiscate powerboards, we now take 2 double adaptors which are allowed. If it is a RC cruise you will need power adaptors European work better with Australian appliances.If it is an island cruise reef shoes are a must have. instead of over the door organisers I take the material fold up containers ( K Mart) in a few different sizes. Glen 20 spray for deodorising and sanitising your room, I always pack material shopping bags 1 for each person to keep their shoes in in the bottom of the wardrobe. I also take one of those fold up clothes peg things for wet cossies or if you want to rinse anything out, a dozen pegs as there is a clothes line in the shower and a small amount of washing liquid. Lanyards for your sea pass which is your room key and charge card in one. Robin:)

As Greenstream said - it is the powerboards with surge protection that cruise ships don't like. Last year I saw a poster with information on what can happen with one of those boards and photos of fires they caused. I don't think we photographed it at the time.

Another suggestion - We take small button size magnets (any size will do) to put the Princess Patter up on the wall of the cabin. All the walls are metal. The Patter you get when you board has the itinerary for the whole cruise. We put that up, then each night, the new one is placed over the lower half of Day 1 Patter, then continue for each day putting them on top of the previous day. That way, for the whole cruise, the schedule with arrival/departure times is on the wall to see. (I hope I explained that logically.) Photos of our family are also put on the wall with magnets. :D

Another vote for magnets.

Thanks for the post Serena. It's good that packing lists are posted periodically, as I find I can add a few more items to our list.

Thanks everyone for your feedback - there are some great ideas.

I won't risk the powerboards, so thanks for the idea to bring along double adaptors.

Thanks again!

You can also get a US adapter that gives two Aus power points.

Lanyards

These can be easily bought on board with the ships logo on them......but everyone else will buy one as well , so it will be hard to tell which is yours if you put it down somewhere. (Great souvenir though:D) . The $2 shop has them and you can choose one that will hopefully be unique to you.

These can be easily bought on board with the ships logo on them......but everyone else will buy one as well , so it will be hard to tell which is yours if you put it down somewhere. (Great souvenir though:D) . The $2 shop has them and you can choose one that will hopefully be unique to you.

Cheap necklace from the $2 shop with a key ring ring on it (for the ladies) nicer than a lanyard

* Power board

Some cruise lines (like Carnival AU could confiscated a power board, but they normally give it back after it has been checked, but when we did a Carnival USA cruise, they did not care about our power board!.), could confiscated the power board,

BUT P&O Australia, Princess and Cunard all allow power boards.

If you are unsure if the cruise like will let you take one on, put in in your check-in luggage.

Some cruise lines (like Carnival AU could confiscated a power board, but they normally give it back after it has been checked, but when we did a Carnival USA cruise, they did not care about our power board!.), could confiscated the power board,

BUT P&O Australia, Princess and Cunard all allow power boards.

If you are unsure if the cruise like will let you take one on, put in in your check-in luggage.

It was on Princess that we saw the notice about fires being caused by power boards with a surge protector. At any time, the Safety Officer on board could decide that these power boards are not allowed and order that they be confiscated. I suggest that if anyone wants to take a power board, they should take one that is not surge protected.

Don't know where you are going but anywhere that has Dengue Fever or Ross River virus then I would suggest Bushmans. You can buy from Woolworths and chemists, not sure about Coles etc. The other repellants just aren't strong enough apparently. Not cheap but always use in Bali etc.

Don't know where you are going but anywhere that has Dengue Fever or Ross River virus then I would suggest Bushmans. You can buy from Woolworths and chemists, not sure about Coles etc. The other repellants just aren't strong enough apparently. Not cheap but always use in Bali etc.

Bushmans insect repellent is great . It contains DEET , and is available in various strengths .Ask the pharmacist which one would be best for you.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer