Help us chose our Christmas cruise!

mariakitty

Greetings! Our family of five (me, husband, two pre-teen boys and grandma) are planning a Holiday Mexican Riviera cruise for December 2016 (over Christmas). We have two choices: 8-days from LA on Ruby Princess and 10-days from SF on Grand Princess.

Living in Oregon we would drive to SF, or fly to LA, but with gas, parking fees, hotels, extra meals we don't feel the added cost of flying to LA is a deal-breaker.

We have been on both the Ruby and Grand. Ruby is my favorite Princess ship that we've sailed and the Grand is my least favorite, however we had very enjoyable cruises on both ships. While the entire family would be thrilled with either choice, Grandma is leaning towards the Ruby, Husband is leaning towards the Grand (10 days!) and I'm really on the fence.

Which cruise would you choose and why?

Gotta agree with Shredie. Longer is always better . . . of course, those extra days will be chilly ones, but even so, I'd rather be in chilly weather on a cruise ship than at home. And you get a full day in Cabo instead of a half-day.

Plus, the Grand has Alfredo's pizzeria!

Thank you for the replies! They have been really helpful and we appreciate the feedback. :)

I had forgotten about Alfredos, since we actually didn't make it there when we were on the Grand. I've heard rave reviews and we are pizza fans so this is certainly something to consider. On the other hand Ruby has (or will have) the Salty Dog gastropub which would also be to our liking.

I also agree that 10 days is always better than 8, and the cost difference really doesn't matter to us. Since this is a holiday cruise and rates are higher than usual, we are going with an interior cabin, which we haven't done for a very long time and never with our boys. But I figure we just won't spend as much time in the cabin and that isn't a bad thing.

My other concern with the Grand itinerary is that the seas can be really rough from SF to LA and that of course is something I cannot control. I guess we can just fill up on dramamine and hope for the best!

DH and I will talk to Grandma and make the decision soon. Since we are going an interior I'm not sure if the current Twice As Nice deal does much for us. So much to consider (and I love it!)

Thank you for the replies! They have been really helpful and we appreciate the feedback. :)

I had forgotten about Alfredos, since we actually didn't make it there when we were on the Grand. I've heard rave reviews and we are pizza fans so this is certainly something to consider. On the other hand Ruby has (or will have) the Salty Dog gastropub which would also be to our liking.

I also agree that 10 days is always better than 8, and the cost difference really doesn't matter to us. Since this is a holiday cruise and rates are higher than usual, we are going with an interior cabin, which we haven't done for a very long time and never with our boys. But I figure we just won't spend as much time in the cabin and that isn't a bad thing.

My other concern with the Grand itinerary is that the seas can be really rough from SF to LA and that of course is something I cannot control. I guess we can just fill up on dramamine and hope for the best!

DH and I will talk to Grandma and make the decision soon. Since we are going an interior I'm not sure if the current Twice As Nice deal does much for us. So much to consider (and I love it!)

I always prefer the longer cruise! I say do the Grand, in fact we just did it this last Christmas and loved it. Would do it this year but we are doing Thanksgiving with friends instead (I know, contradicting our longer cruise preference, but it's the only time they can join us). We normally get an interior cabin with 4 people (2 kids). It's a bit cramped but as long as you don't spend much time in there, you will be fine. I usually flee to the spa to shower, however on the Grand they do not have showers to use :( I was very disappointed, but it did not affect my cruise. :)

Regarding your concern about rough seas, I find that West coast trips are always a bit rocky heading back home, in Los Angeles or San Francisco. So, it's not a deal breaker for either. I say enjoy the longer cruise! It's so worth it!!