JADE Oct 2016 Drydock ...

bluesea777

• 4 weeks later...

NCL Jade is due for Dry dock Q1- 2017 from what I have read it will be Public Area refurbishment and some modernisation of cabins. Hopefully just in time before my sailing in July 2017

Edited by The Weets

Yes, wish we knew the actual date :( Guess we'll know soon though.

Hopefully the date will be released before too many people have already booked their 2017 cruise only to get it cancelled. The uncertainty is certainly putting me off committing to a cruise on the Jade.

There is a full programme of cruises without a break throughout the Spring 2017 leading up to the Transatlantic on 30th April. I was looking at a back to back, Caribbean followed by the TA, but maybe that will be a no go. They (NCL) already messed about with the dates through October 2016 leading up to the Autumn Transatlantic when dates were cancelled and then re-instated when they changed the Dry Dock. It makes one a bit nervy to book anything.

There is a full programme of cruises without a break throughout the Spring 2017 leading up to the Transatlantic on 30th April. I was looking at a back to back, Caribbean followed by the TA, but maybe that will be a no go. They (NCL) already messed about with the dates through October 2016 leading up to the Autumn Transatlantic when dates were cancelled and then re-instated when they changed the Dry Dock. It makes one a bit nervy to book anything.

We were hoping to do the same, already having our aft balcony booked for the Caribbean portion. All of the aft balconies are already booked for the TA ... guess I should have booked it sooner... oh well, who knows what will happen? :confused: Obviously there are still questions to be answered. :rolleyes:

Not surprising that there is a lot of confusion when even those who are very knowledgeable about the goings on of NCL can be caught off guard.

"Norwegian Jade will spend two and a half weeks in dry dock in the Bahamas for a complete overhaul before arriving in Southampton in April 2017 for the summer season before spending winter in the Caribbean."

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/638563/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-returns-Southampton-2017-Norwegian-Jade

Above is what everyone quotes from a press release. Found nothing on any possible slots at Grand Bahama Shipyard in 2017 for Jade, still top secret.. :)

"Norwegian Jade will spend two and a half weeks in dry dock in the Bahamas for a complete overhaul before arriving in Southampton in April 2017 for the summer season before spending winter in the Caribbean."

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/638563/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-returns-Southampton-2017-Norwegian-Jade

Above is what everyone quotes from a press release. Found nothing on any possible slots at Grand Bahama Shipyard in 2017 for Jade, still top secret.. :)

So, does this sound like they know what they're doing? If so, where will the Jade begin the TA, Freeport, Miami, Tampa.... guesses? I know, I'm crazy to think that NCL will tell me anything but... will try anyway... :p tomorrow is another day.

So, does this sound like they know what they're doing? If so, where will the Jade begin the TA, Freeport, Miami, Tampa.... guesses? I know, I'm crazy to think that NCL will tell me anything but... will try anyway... :p tomorrow is another day.

The TA is now advertised and NCL are taking bookings on the website, leaving Tampa on 30th April 2017 finishing in Hamburg. All the weeks leading up to this date are also filled with roundtrips out of Tampa. No gaps showing for the re-fit!! :confused::confused::eek:

The TA is now advertised and NCL are taking bookings on the website, leaving Tampa on 30th April 2017 finishing in Hamburg. All the weeks leading up to this date are also filled with roundtrips out of Tampa. No gaps showing for the re-fit!! :confused::confused::eek:

Yes, exactly which is why it's so confusing. NCL has promised that the JADE will be like a new ship when arriving in Southampton/Europe May 12th. However, having been around NCL for a while, we know that NCL is famous/infamous for cancelling already booked cruises. It seems this could be another instance where, while they've sold many cabins, they will cancel the last couple of Caribbean cruises in order to make their promised TA and European cruises on time.

I really have no problem with that, I'd just like to know so we can BOOK our cruise, TA or Caribbean and TA but I won't do it until I know for sure what's happening.

Option 1:

Anything beyond April 9th sailing will be canceled if she does the TA after the dry dock, incl. a few spare days?

Option 2:

A dry dock before April, giving her a few last runs in her fresh paint? Could be any given 2.5 weeks in spring/Q1 2017.

I think #1.. based on nothing actually. But that seems to fit NCL's logic perfectly these days.. :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Option 1:

Anything beyond April 9th sailing will be canceled if she does the TA after the dry dock, incl. a few spare days?

Option 2:

A dry dock before April, giving her a few last runs in her fresh paint? Could be any given 2.5 weeks in spring/Q1 2017.

I think #1.. based on nothing actually. But that seems to fit NCL's logic perfectly these days.. :)

I agree, Option 1 :) And for us, it would be okay, not exactly what we want but... we'll just do the TA, spend a few days in the UK and fly home afterwards.

There are many others though that it will not be OK for and I'd feel badly for those pax. I really think anyone who is interested in knowing what's happening with the Jade, should be contacting NCL to put pressure on them for info. JMO

We recently booked the April 9 sailing and are concerned it will be cancelled. If the ship is leaving from Tampa on April 30 to Hamburg, and the dry dock takes over two weeks, NCL would have to cancel the April 9 sailing. I hope we find out soon. That is the only week we can go in the spring as I have that week off from work (school spring break).

Well, thought I should update with a little information.

We are already booked on the Apr. 30th 2017 cruise out of Tampa. However, we've heard/read on NCL that the Jade was to go into dry dock Spring 2017 and we were concerned that our cruise might be one of those cancelled.

We've been on the fence and couldn't decide whether to book another cruise, stay with the Jade Caribbean cruise (hoping it's not cancelled) or add another cruise to it and make it a B2B cruise, if possible.

I've been conversing with our PCC for a while now and he finally sent me an email today which looks like the dry dock for Jade has been put off until the spring of 2018 instead of 2017. :D

So, if all goes well, we'll do the 7-day Caribbean cruise, Apr. 23- 30 and continue with the TA to Hamburg, Yay. :D Another check mark on that bucket list. :p

Good news for us, hopefully for others as well. Fingers crossed :p

Hm, that's the opposite of what the NCL press release said last month:

"Marking the first time that Norwegian will homeport a ship in Hamburg, Germany, Norwegian Jade -- one of the company’s four Jewel-Class vessels -- will feature brand new cruises from Hamburg in 2017. Following an extensive dry dock in spring 2017, she will arrive essentially a new ship featuring Norwegian’s new standard of excellence the Norwegian Edge™ on May 14, 2017"

Not sure what's worse: canceling 1 or 2 cruises or not delivering on the promise of an essentially new ship for a whole season/year even? :confused:

Oh NCL... ;)

My PCC was still telling me earlier this week that the re-furb was in October 2016!!!! He was quite surprised when I pointed this out on the NCL.co.uk website:

Upcoming Dry Docks

Norwegian Ships

Dry Dock Schedule

Pride of America Q1 2016

Norwegian Sun Q2 2016

Norwegian Dawn Q2 2016

Norwegian Spirit Q1 2017

Norwegian Sky Q1 2017

Norwegian Pearl Q1 2017

Norwegian Jade Q1 2017

But at the same time they are still advertising and selling cruises all through that period.

I have decided it is certainly not the time to make plans to cruise the Jade until something is confirmed.

I think the Jade is due for a dry dock and will need the mandatory one around that time frame even if they decided to scrap the major refurb that Gem received. Some sailing will be cancelled as a result. I'm just crossing fingers it's not mine again. Perhaps they are rescheduling after the ta.

I hope not. I'm on the second sailing after the TA. :eek:

Hm, that's the opposite of what the NCL press release said last month:

"Marking the first time that Norwegian will homeport a ship in Hamburg, Germany, Norwegian Jade -- one of the company’s four Jewel-Class vessels -- will feature brand new cruises from Hamburg in 2017. Following an extensive dry dock in spring 2017, she will arrive essentially a new ship featuring Norwegian’s new standard of excellence the Norwegian Edge™ on May 14, 2017"

Not sure what's worse: canceling 1 or 2 cruises or not delivering on the promise of an essentially new ship for a whole season/year even? :confused:

Oh NCL... ;)

I agree. I'm taking a chance on this but figure for us, it'll be fine either way. Changing the rules, so to speak regarding the like-new ship to Europe, is a bit misleading and disappointing. The main reason we decided to book the TA is due to the number of cabins already sold. If we wait, I know we won't get an aft cabin, but now that we have it, if they cancel.... we're back to square one.

My PCC was still telling me earlier this week that the re-furb was in October 2016!!!! He was quite surprised when I pointed this out on the NCL.co.uk website:

But at the same time they are still advertising and selling cruises all through that period.

I have decided it is certainly not the time to make plans to cruise the Jade until something is confirmed.

I understand how you feel and would likely do the same if we hadn't already booked our Caribbean cruise before this came up. Fingers crossed.

I hope not. I'm on the second sailing after the TA. :eek:

I doubt you have anything to worry about. It's very unlikely that NCL will schedule a dry dock for the Jade after she's done the TA. It's more likely they'll do one of 3 things:

Do the dry dock when scheduled - Oct 2016

Do the dry dock before leaving NA - Apr. 2017 most likely IMO

Do the dry dock after returning to NA Sept/Oct 2017

I doubt that dry dock will be put off until spring 2018 but who knows.

A friend of my PCC told him it has been rescheduled for spring 2018... too bad no one knows for sure, pretty poor customer service on the part of NCL IMO. I just wonder if it's b/c they can't book the dry dock. There are a lot of ships getting refurbed in that time frame.

Aaand the dry dock will take place in Grand Bahama's Shipyard, but their schedule isn't publicized anywhere.

I sure wish they would but, according to this recent news article it certainly seems like they're very busy: http://grandbahamashipyard.com/2016/02/grand-bahama-shipyard-limited-in-the-news/

No mention of the Jade though... :confused:

I just checked her entire published schedule from now until the end of the Europe season in 2017. The last published sailing is the 9 night Western Europe rotation from Hamburg 10/9/17 to 10/18/17. There are no gaps in sail dates of any kind. Her post European deployment for fall/winter 2017/2018 has not yet been publised.

It's looking more and more likely that her refurb has been pushed back to either fall 2017 or early 2018.

• 2 weeks later...