Solar eclipse

momoftwinteens

I just discovered that, during our Alaska cruise in 2017, there will a solar eclipse. We will be at sea on the day of the eclipse.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever sailed during an eclipse? Please share your experiences. Thank you.

Haven't had that expierence, but here's a little more info about it. According to http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm the path of the solar eclipse doesn't cross Alaskan waters. As well as this site: http://www.space.com/30343-great-american-total-solar-eclipse-2017.html

You may see something, but not the whole full eclipse.

There was a lunar eclipse during my world cruise two years ago. We were in the Caribbean Sea. The eclipse was late at night but was worth waking up for. It was clear out and a great view. Due to the movement of the ship, it was hard trying to photograph.

Was one if the highlights of the cruise.

Don

I just discovered that, during our Alaska cruise in 2017, there will a solar eclipse. We will be at sea on the day of the eclipse.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever sailed during an eclipse? Please share your experiences. Thank you.

It's not any different than when an eclipse occurs and you are on land. Depending on how much of an eclipse, the sky darkens slowly and then slowly gets light again. The only thing you need to remember is to not look at the sun.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to see a solar eclipse from the Dawn Princess in Australia on my birthday in 2012, and it was amazing. Funny thing was how many people on the ship simply slept in and didn't care about the eclipse. I am trying to find another ship for the 2017 eclipse, but have had no luck so far...