Rules concerning Liquor purchased on board

Jana60

I have been told by some people here at cruise critic that Carnival has a rule against drinking the liquor purchased from the bon voyage department anywhere except in your cabin. I guess Carnival changed their minds about that because the shops now show the liquor being sold for the same exorbitant prices but at least they now specifically state you can drink your liquor anywhere on board as you can see below in the excerpt from Carnival's liquor policy. It's still a little disturbing that the alcohol cost 5 times the price of the local liquor store but at least I don't need to worry about someone telling me I'm breaking the rules when I drink my $85 bottle of captain Morgans!

Port Side Liquor

The Fun Shops portion of the Carnival website allows you to purchase items in advance for delivery to your stateroom on the first day of your cruise. The Port Side Liquor section of the Fun Shops program provides an extensive menu of beer, wine and liquor as well as nonalcoholic beverages and mixers. Although prices are higher than those found at most local grocery stores, they are significantly lower than shipboard prices. You are allowed to consume your liquor anywhere during your cruise.

Edited by Jana60

Wow ~ interesting that you found that Jana60! I don't plan to carry our Malibu rum around but at least I don't have to feel sneaky about carrying my coctail around in my Yeti. Not that I care too much ~ was planning on breaking that one little rule anyway😈 ~ but now can carry on with a clear conscience... 😜! Thanks!

Wow ~ interesting that you found that Jana60! I don't plan to carry our Malibu rum around but at least I don't have to feel sneaky about carrying my coctail around in my Yeti. Not that I care too much ~ was planning on breaking that one little rule anyway😈 ~ but now can carry on with a clear conscience... 😜! Thanks!

LOL! Well I wasn't actually planning to carry the liter size bottle of booze around the boat with me. But now when I carry around a small amount of the alcohol in my Carnival cup to spike my juice with I won't be breaking any rules!

I wonder when that was posted...I recently purchased Bon Voyage liquor for my Nov 2016 cruise and had to check off a box stating that it wouldn't be consumed outside of our cabin. Thanks for posting!

I think this is a new thing since I don't remember ever seeing this paragraph before. I guess they finally figured out That it was financially advantageous for them to increase their sales Of those $85 bottles of booze. Plus most people will buy additional drinks Because they want for variety even if they have a bottle of booze.

interesting. Here is the policy on their website

The Fun Shops (pre-cruise orders)

All alcohol purchased through The Fun Shops (via telephone order or online) for on board consumption is designed for in-stateroom entertainment only. Guests cannot take liquor bottles with them to public areas. Only wine or champagne that was ordered through The Fun Shops can be served in the dining room or Steakhouse.

The Fun Shops (onboard)

All alcohol purchased in The Fun Shops onboard will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation.

Edited by hftmrock

Its weird! They have conflicting information. One section says liquor purchased can not be consumed at all on board. Another advertises that you can drink it anywhere on the ship and then another section says that the alcohol purchased and delivered to the room is for in-room consumption only. Seems like they can't make up their mind what their policy is! It's odd that the advertisement for the $85 a bottle booze has the statement that you can drink it anywhere that I posted above but the liquor policy says you can't???? Seems like they're speaking out of both sides of their mouth because they want to sell the high dollar bottles of booze but they want to retain the right to then say you can't drink it! If anyone gives me any flack about drinking my expensive bon voyage liquor out of my Carnival cup I will simply show them the Carnival website's statement I copied above. But I've actually never had any problems on board even when the bartenders offered to wash out my Carnival cup and refill it and I refused telling them honestly that the liquid in my cup was my bon voyage liquor and not melted ice! If you search the Carnival website for portside liquor it will take you to the statement I posted and also link you to the section of the Bon Voyage store selling it.

Edited by Jana60

The duty free purchases is what you can't drink onboard. The stuff sold cheap in the gift shop.

Bon voyage purchases made online or ordered through room service can be consumed onboard and are priced much higher. I think the consumption in your room stuff is meant so that people are not walking around with bottles on the ship. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any confusion. If you buy through bon voyage and make the drink in the room, then walk around with it - who would know? Bon Voyage is delivered to your cabin. Duty free is only purchased IN the gift shop and held until you pick it up in the morning. Only difference being the price.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Its weird! They have conflicting information. One section says liquor purchased can not be consumed at all on board. Another advertises that you can drink it anywhere on the ship and then another section says that the alcohol purchased and delivered to the room is for in-room consumption only. Seems like they can't make up their mind what their policy is! It's odd that the advertisement for the $85 a bottle booze has the statement that you can drink it anywhere that I posted above but the liquor policy says you can't???? Seems like they're speaking out of both sides of their mouth because they want to sell the high dollar bottles of booze but they want to retain the right to then say you can't drink it! If anyone gives me any flack about drinking my expensive bon voyage liquor out of my Carnival cup I will simply show them the Carnival website's statement I copied above. But I've actually never had any problems on board even when the bartenders offered to wash out my Carnival cup and refill it and I refused telling them honestly that the liquid in my cup was my bon voyage liquor and not melted ice! If you search the Carnival website for portside liquor it will take you to the statement I posted and also link you to the section of the Bon Voyage store selling it.

I would love to see the different versions you mention. Can you post them, or tell us where they can be found?

I have been told by some people here at cruise critic that Carnival has a rule against drinking the liquor purchased from the bon voyage department anywhere except in your cabin. I guess Carnival changed their minds about that because the shops now show the liquor being sold for the same exorbitant prices but at least they now specifically state you can drink your liquor anywhere on board as you can see below in the excerpt from Carnival's liquor policy. It's still a little disturbing that the alcohol cost 5 times the price of the local liquor store but at least I don't need to worry about someone telling me I'm breaking the rules when I drink my $85 bottle of captain Morgans!

Considering that you are violating CC terms and conditions by copying and pasting copyrighted material,, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551717

how about posting a link to the material to CYA

Edited by klfrodo

Another example of confusion on the policy, this time on one page!

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/kw/Portside%20liquor/related/1

Note under the "Note: Liquor" heading, it seems to clarify that "in-room consumption" means you can't take the bottle out of the room, while later in the policies in the "alcohol purchases" section it says you consume in public places.

While I would ASSUME no one is going to get on you for putting it in a go-cup and walking around, for every time you whip out your version of the rules that say you CAN do it, they can point to a section where it says you CAN'T.

Edited by kbanowsky

Another example of confusion on the policy, this time on one page!

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/kw/Portside%20liquor/related/1

, for every time you whip out your version of the rules that say you CAN do it, they can point to a section where it says you CAN'T.

One of the big take aways that I learned in the military was that Policies are nothing more than guidelines.

All corporations have policies in place that if you dig deep enough will contradict each other.

What's my take away on this policy/guideline?

If you pre purchased a bottle of Jack, occasionally take a jack and coke from your cabin and stroll the ship and maintain yourself,,,,, nobody will say a thing.

Take that bottle up to the pool deck, everyone sit around and take shots and start acting a fool,, the policy/guideline will be acted upon.

One of the big take aways that I learned in the military was that Policies are nothing more than guidelines.

All corporations have policies in place that if you dig deep enough will contradict each other.

What's my take away on this policy/guideline?

If you pre purchased a bottle of Jack, occasionally take a jack and coke from your cabin and stroll the ship and maintain yourself,,,,, nobody will say a thing.

Take that bottle up to the pool deck, everyone sit around and take shots and start acting a fool,, the policy/guideline will be acted upon.

"Start acting a fool." That's the key to finding out how many "rules" they have!

The duty free purchases is what you can't drink onboard. The stuff sold cheap in the gift shop.

Bon voyage purchases made online or ordered through room service can be consumed onboard and are priced much higher. I think the consumption in your room stuff is meant so that people are not walking around with bottles on the ship. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any confusion. If you buy through bon voyage and make the drink in the room, then walk around with it - who would know? Bon Voyage is delivered to your cabin. Duty free is only purchased IN the gift shop and held until you pick it up in the morning. Only difference being the price.

I agree with you. I do not see any conflict in the two statements. One states taking a bottle from you room, the other allows alcohol to be consumed anywhere. I believe what Carnival prohibits is taking a liquor bottle outside your room. Mixing a drink in a non breakable glass is not a problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with you. I do not see any conflict in the two statements. One states taking a bottle from you room, the other allows alcohol to be consumed anywhere. I believe what Carnival prohibits is taking a liquor bottle outside your room. Mixing a drink in a non breakable glass is not a problem.

While I agree that the INTENT is that you cannot buy a bottle of liquor and carry it outside the room, but no one is going to call you out on mixing a drink and taking a go-cup to the lido deck, There is a conflict with this statement. (From the link I posted above):

Alcohol Orders

Alcohol orders are not permitted to be taken to any location outside of the approved delivery locations specified for those products at checkout. This program is designed for in-cabin entertaining or in-dining consumption only. Consumption in public areas is strictly prohibited.

While I agree that the INTENT is that you cannot buy a bottle of liquor and carry it outside the room, but no one is going to call you out on mixing a drink and taking a go-cup to the lido deck, There is a conflict with this statement. (From the link I posted above):

Alcohol Orders

Alcohol orders are not permitted to be taken to any location outside of the approved delivery locations specified for those products at checkout. This program is designed for in-cabin entertaining or in-dining consumption only. Consumption in public areas is strictly prohibited.

You are splitting hairs. I know from experience if you choose to consume a drink , other than in your room ,from a Bottle purchased through Carnival no one will bother you . I have done it on every cruise and was never even questioned.

This is exactly how I would interpret the rules. They don't want you flashing the bottle everywhere but don't care what is in your mug or plastic cup that you carry around with you. No one ever checked to see if I had liquor in my lidded carnival cup I bought at the gift shop. I have carried it everyday on all my cruises.

You are splitting hairs. I know from experience if you choose to consume a drink , other than in your room ,from a Bottle purchased through Carnival no one will bother you . I have done it on every cruise and was never even questioned.

This is my experience as well. Only difference I experienced is they don't like glass bottles (or glass anything) on the Lido deck, so pour into a water bottle before going to the Lido deck.

Not saying people are reckless, but if someone accidentally hits your bottle in passing and it falls over and breaks, or it slips out of your hands, there are more problems than you just lost a $100 bottle of Grey Goose.

Edited by Capo Capitan

So, any chance you can provide a link to where you saw this "Port Side Liquor" thing, I can't seem to find it on Carnivals site.

I agree. For Bon voyage liquor just put it in a different container. We walked around with our sipper cup everywhere. It's your secret what's in it.

And for liquor purchased at duty free shops you now pick up morning of debarkation.

There's no conflict and makes perfect sense.

So, any chance you can provide a link to where you saw this "Port Side Liquor" thing, I can't seem to find it on Carnivals site.

The following is the wording one gets when they are in the process of completing a The Fun Shops purchase for any alcohol. It can also be found at the following link: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/~/the-fun-shops-gift-orders

A Google search of the Port Side Liquor wording brings up nothing related except for this thread. I agree - I would like to see a link as well (or OP is clearly in violation of the Terms & Conditions of this forum).

Edited by Capo Capitan

Thanks all for trying to sort this out!

Does anyone recall the price of a bucket of Miller Lite when at the Lido deck? We are trying to decide weather or not to purchase the Cheers program. But on a 7 day cruise for 2 adults its pricey!!! I think we will be better off purchasing 2 bottles for Bon Voyage Delivery and then just get buckets while hanging at the pool.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the # of bottles you can purchase per cabin for Bon Voyage?

Thank all in advance! :)

Have done the same on our last 5 cruises. Never have had any problem.

Does anyone recall the price of a bucket of Miller Lite when at the Lido deck? We are trying to decide weather or not to purchase the Cheers program. But on a 7 day cruise for 2 adults its pricey!!! I think we will be better off purchasing 2 bottles for Bon Voyage Delivery and then just get buckets while hanging at the pool.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the # of bottles you can purchase per cabin for Bon Voyage?

2 bottles per cabin limit.

On the Carnival website FAQ Sample Bar Menu it reads that most Domestic Beer is $5.95 each. From what I've read, the bucket gets you a $2 discount, so around $22 for the bucket plus tips of course ;).

We are opting for the exact same plan as you. Total lightweight here ~ 4 glasses of wine and I'm either really having fun or ready to nap. Between my 2 bottles of wine we can bring on, Bon Voyage order, beer buckets for my hubby and 3 excursions that are All-Inclusive, we're good.