Do you get travel insurance from RCCL? or others

George C

You need to read further down, where pre existing condition is defined. So if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or any pre existing condition controlled through medication, you are covered. I know it's a little confusing to read insurance contract language.

I believe the problem here is the word "Waived" and interpretation. You can still have a pre-existing condition and be covered as long as you fall under what is "Defined Below" which you forgot to include.:D Patti has it in her post above yours.

The way I understand it, relating to my husband who is diabetic and has been since 1994 is that he has a pre-existing condition. As long as he is healthy 60 days prior to when the policy goes into effect, ,which would be final payment date, and his treatment has not changed, we are covered for the duration of our cruise.

I see what you are saying and this seems to be with most insurances. You can have the worst problems imaginable and not be considered pre existing as long as you are not treated in last 60 days (or whatever) or had prescriptions changed. But what if you do? Other insurances waive this as long as you buy the insurance within a specific time of deposit. Usually about 10 days. Royal does not waive pre existing no matter when you buy the insurance

Edited by SeaUs

Travel guard has a rider you can add that will cover a pre-existing condition. My mom had back trouble when we booked, but she was able to travel. However, as time went on she needed surgery and ended up not being able to go. Because her condition(surgery) was caused by her pre-existing condition (back trouble) any insurance that doesn't allow pre-existing conditions would not have covered this. Very important to clarify with the insurance company which possible scenarios would be covered. KEEP POUNDING!! PANTHERS BEAT CARDINALS!!!!!

Edited by cindivan

Thanks for posting the link to the policy! It's always a pain in the neck to weed through all the details of travel insurance. You have to remember that their 60 day look back period where they evaluate whether your health has been stable prior to "policy purchase" begins on your final payment date. So if your health had worsened during the 60 day period before final payment, your choices would be 1) cancel the cruise for a refund or 2) keep the cruise knowing the maximum you could get for a cancellation would be 75% FCC and the majority of medical treatment costs would NOT be covered or 3) keep the cruise and drop RCI's policy and find a third party insurance company which will include a waiver for the pre-existing conditions clause (waiving the look back period) as long as you buy within 24 hours of final payment. I've usually been able to locate at least one company which will do that. (Filing a claim with them still requires huge paperwork and persistence to get what they've committed to).

Edited by MindyJohn

Thanks for posting the link to the policy! It's always a pain in the neck to weed through all the details of travel insurance. You have to remember that their 60 day look back period where they evaluate whether your health has been stable prior to "policy purchase" begins on your final payment date. So if your health had worsened during the 60 day period before final payment, your choices would be 1) cancel the cruise for a refund or 2) keep the cruise knowing the maximum you could get for a cancellation would be 75% FCC and the majority of medical treatment costs would NOT be covered or 3) keep the cruise and drop RCI's policy and find a third party insurance company which will include a waiver for the pre-existing conditions clause (waiving the look back period) as long as you buy within 24 hours of final payment. I've usually been able to locate at least one company which will do that. (Filing a claim with them still requires huge paperwork and persistence to get what they've committed to).
I disagree (unless things have changed)you can call RCI and purchase your Travel protection at any time after you book. I have done that. Edited by FLACRUISER99

I disagree (unless things have changed)you can call RCI and purchase your Travel protection at any time after you book. I have done that.

You make a good point. What I was thinking was if you didn't make any special request about date of purchase it would happen the day of final payment.

You make a good point. What I was thinking was if you didn't make any special request about date of purchase it would happen the day of final payment.
In the old days before they dropped coverage for independently booked air, I would always buy the RCI policy as soon as I booked the air.

Given this weeks storms. I booked on Allure on December 19, 2015. We sail on 2/28/16. Are there any companies out there that would insure us? Looks to me like most of them require purchasing within a certain time frame.

You could try insuremytrip.com, but I think you are way past the cutoff date.

Edited by cruisenfever

I get our travel insurance from the provider that USAA contracts with (Travel Insured International).

I don't use Royal Caribbean's insurance option because that doesn't cover separately purchased air travel. Plus, I prefer to choose a policy that provides primary medical coverage so I don't have to worry about managing any potential medical expenses between the travel insurance and my work-provided health insurance.

I get our travel insurance from the provider that USAA contracts with (Travel Insured International).

I don't use Royal Caribbean's insurance option because that doesn't cover separately purchased air travel. Plus, I prefer to choose a policy that provides primary medical coverage so I don't have to worry about managing any potential medical expenses between the travel insurance and my work-provided health insurance.

Ditto on that primary care coverage. We book through the airline and buy their insurance.

I landed in the hospital in Livorno. The insurance concierge handled everything, called daily to check on me, and would have booked our flight home, had we needed it. They made a terrible experience much easier, especially for my husband. They covered every penny.

However, I had to submit the $2000 ship's bill to my insurance company. After six weeks of jumping through hoops, the cruise line informed me that being foreign flagged, they don't do medical codes or mess with private companies. Almost three months later, I'm waiting for a letter of denial so I can finally turn it all in.

The insurer was Allianz, and apparently, while abroad, a different company handles things for them.

Hoping to get all our money back before our next trip.

I use third party insurance because I'm not comfortable with Royal's limits on emergency evacuation coverage. However one advantage of Royal's insurance is that the rates are not age-based, which may be an advantage to older cruisers.

Here are some websites to check rates:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Yes, the rates for older people are outrageous.

Given this weeks storms. I booked on Allure on December 19, 2015. We sail on 2/28/16. Are there any companies out there that would insure us? Looks to me like most of them require purchasing within a certain time frame.

That would only be for pre existing condition waiver. You can definitely buy insurance

You could try insuremytrip.com, but I think you are way past the cutoff date.
There is no cut off