P&O Ferry in Calais stormed by migrants!

More than 20 migrants have been arrested in France overnight after hundreds of angry protestors stormed the deck of a P&O Ferry on the Port of Calais.....The protestors managed to block the ferry’s entry for a number of hours, preventing police from forcibly removing them and stopping the ship and its passengers from departing.

This must have been scary for the passengers onboard.

It's like the whole Somalian pirate attacks but from the dock!

So glad we travelled to Europe before catching a ferry became scary, walking the streets of Cologne was relatively safe or wanting to enjoy public bath houses became a disgusting experience!

Full story here.

I thought the same - considering there are quite a lot of small cruise ships that do the European ports!

The cross channel ferries are around the 45,000 ton range, but many cruises ships especially the luxury lines are way smaller than that!

Europe is starting to unravel at edges a little or a lot - depending on how much you are aware of via non mainstream news. I'll stick to sailing the South Pacific & NZ for the foreseeable future! :)

It's certainly saddening to hear of the issues arising in Europe lately. Their generosity is being challenged in multiple ways, and it does raise doubts about whether things can go back in our lifetimes. Just like how air travel used to be a lot more straightforward than it is now, but doesn't show much likelihood of going back.

I don't see any way out of it for some European countries sadly. :(

Late last year the UN in it's Human Development Index reported that based on current trends their prediction is that Sweden will be considered no longer a 1st world country by 2030.

It's one of those historic moments played out during our lifetimes I think.

I see that UK politicians from all parties have come together to push for leaving the EU - things must be getting bad if all the political rivals have decided to work together! :eek:

At least the cruise ship security seems fairly robust - with their fervour for checking bags for illegal alcohol they may well stop something really serious from happening.

I actually found this article about cruise ship security measures quite comforting in light of the increased security issues of our time.