Watch purchase Oasis Eastern route. Ideas?

screamin400

My Citizens Eco died so I will be looking for a watch on this cruise. We go to the Bahamas, St. Marten and St. Thomas. I am looking for a fairly large face watch without much clutter and under $500. I know there are some knowledgeable watch folks on here so would love to hear some opinions. What and where?

Avoid Bahamas - watches are priced considerably above market value in many stores there. St. Thomas and/or St. Maarten (Diamonds International or Joe's) may be your best opportunities. Don't feel pressured to buy a watch in the store - no matter what kind of "deal" the salesman is pitching. Keep in mind that many stores will ship to the states for a fee, but if your purchase is large enough they'll consider shipping for free. Bring your phone/wifi device with you so you can check ebay, Amazon, etc. for best price. For the amount you're looking to spend and the description you indicated, it looks as though a T.W. Steel, Movado Bold, or Nixon may be the brands to look for.

Edited by mbjboyle

Before you go, do your homework. Know what you want and prices here. Check warranties carefully.

Great advice but time does not warrant it. I have no idea what I want. Mine died as I have not worn it in 10 years. Really do not need one but would like one again. I will probably look in Florida as I will have some time there.

You usually save 15% and taxes if you buy on the ship or in port. The main thing is, do your research before you leave and make sure you're going to buy from an authorized dealer of the brand so you're covered by warranty when you're back in the States. Have several watch models in mind in case they are out of your first choice. I also wouldn't shop in Nassau as it's a dive.

I've purchased a Michele watch from Little Switzerland in St. Maarten and last year, purchased a Tag Heuer on the Freedom of the Seas. I saved $500 and taxes off the retail price of the Tag and am extremely happy with my watch. No problems declaring the large purchase with Customs either. Good luck shopping and enjoy your cruise!

You usually save 15% and taxes if you buy on the ship or in port. The main thing is, do your research before you leave and make sure you're going to buy from an authorized dealer of the brand so you're covered by warranty when you're back in the States. Have several watch models in mind in case they are out of your first choice. I also wouldn't shop in Nassau as it's a dive.

I've purchased a Michele watch from Little Switzerland in St. Maarten and last year, purchased a Tag Heuer on the Freedom of the Seas. I saved $500 and taxes off the retail price of the Tag and am extremely happy with my watch. No problems declaring the large purchase with Customs either. Good luck shopping and enjoy your cruise!

The Tags on the Freedom are beautiful but out of my range. I hear rumors though that the Oasis has sold some watches that are not what they are sold as? That scares me as how would I know. All the watches on the ships look beautiful and would make a nice purchase as a keepsake until I find it was not what I thought.

I haven't seen anything about bogus watches on Oasis at all. I have doubts about the validity of the rumor.

But if you are hesitant, Macy's has 25% off during their friends and family sales in the spring and fall and Nordstrom has some watches discounted during their anniversary sale.

I was at Macys yesterday and stopped to look at the watches for about 5 minutes. They did tell me about that sale. I did see a watch there that I liked but have forgotten what it was. Guess it did not make that big of an impression. I really wanted to purchase while on vacation as that is when I really have the time to look but fear may overtake me.

Lol. That is exactly how I purchase almost everything now. The beauty of a camera in my pocket. I will be in Florida for a few days so have plenty of time to research there and then look in the other ports. Only problem with that is I am not coming back to Florida I am heading straight from the ship to the airport.

My husband collects watches collecting many unique and different designers. We cruise RC every summer and he buys a Citizen Eco Drive for himself and our son. He has done this each of the past five years. We have not had a single problem on a total of ten Citizen watches purchased onboard. We really look forward to our watch purchases and have never been disappointed with the selection....Side note, family is from that "snow country" Finger Lakes region. Keep warm

Edited by Tweety63

What are you looking for? Are you looking to replace the Eco-Drive with a similar watch? You're saying larger, simple watch face. What else?

Citizen Eco-Drive's are very nice watches. Go to the company's web page and do a basic search. I just did men's, over 40mm, under $300 and $300-599. One of the first to pop up is AW0050-82E, stainless steel, black face, time and date, 43mm (largish but not too big) face, priced at $225 direct from Citizen.

If you're looking for something different, Google Long Island Watch, and click on their Seiko collection. They are authorized dealers for Seiko, and you will find a tremendous number of options from battery operated to automatic to possibly the best of both worlds, their "Kinetic" models.

For a sub $500 watch, you'll do OK in the islands. On the ship, you are unlikely to have the most current models (the Citizen I mentioned above is a new release). St Maarten and St Thomas both have good selections, but I've always browsed the higher end. Prices are essentially the same as any decent non-department store dealer in the United States. About the only higher end (thousand versus hundreds) watches I'd even look at in the Caribbean are Rolex and Panerai, as they are typically discounted 15% in the Caribbean and rarely discounted at all in the US.

So, if you're willing to do some research ahead of time, you may do OK. If you just want to buy a watch that gets your attention, never look up its price and don't worry about it. Otherwise you'll just go crazy!

As most people have already said do your research first. get an idea of what you want, Movado, citizen or even bulova. Once you have that it will be easier. I have gotten watches onboard and off the ship. I did have an issue one time as the ship price was higher than back at the states. They would not price match, so I didn't get it.

Found a Seiko I like online. Seiko Men's SKX781 "Orange Monster"

The Orange Monster is a classic that even serious watch geeks love. I have a Black Monster that I love.

I'd probably look at the new version, SRP309, as it's generally considered a better movement, and you can hand wind it, which you can't do with the original (with the 781 you have to "shake" the watch to start it if it stops; with the 309 you can unscrew the crown and wind it).

It is an automatic, so you need to be prepared to either wear it most days, or wind it and set it when you're heading out, something you didn't have to worry about with the Eco-Drive.

I would be surprised if you found a new Orange Monster in the islands, and amazed if you could beat the price from the dealer I mentioned before...

Most folks have told me to buy on the ship as the prices are good later in the week and they are authorized dealers. Why do you think not the ship?

Nothing wrong with buying on the ship IF you find a model you like and the price is fair. But you will find a LOT more variety to choose from on St Martin and St Thomas. If you buy on the islands try to verify they are an authorized dealer. Otherwise you have no warranty.

Most folks have told me to buy on the ship as the prices are good later in the week ....

No, this is not true. While they may put some items out on a sale table (or in the cases), they will not be the same items you have been looking at all week. Can you imagine the uproar if they discounted watches and jewelry on the sixth day of a cruise? What about those passengers who bought things on the second day? See my point? :)

Just know your prices going in and buy a watch if you want to. My husband bought one on board some years ago and he loves it and it is very special to him.

Found a Seiko I like online. Seiko Men's SKX781 "Orange Monster"

If you like that also check out Victorinox DiveMaster 500. Solid well built watch available in both quartz and automatic.

For 500 consider Victorinox, Tissot, Seiko. Amazon is a great place to browse online.

Tissot PRC200 available in a lot of models, most pretty "basic" looking which you said you want. Still classy and good quality.

For starters, decide if you want quartz of automatic. Of course for under 500 the selection of automatics will be limited. But there are some nice ones to be had. I just bought a Victorinox auto for 400, very nice timepiece for the money.

If you want something for snorkeling etc, look for one with a screw down crown.

Edited by bouhunter

I am also a big fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive watches. I am quite familiar with the pricing on Amazon of many of the different options. I found that the price onboard was slightly higher on board the what Amazon usually advertise. But if you keep an eye on Amazon pricing on your favorite models and options, every now and then there is a good discount to be had. Just before Cristmas, I ordered an Eco Drive AT-8010 Chronograph, radio controlled, Perpetual Calendar, Saphire Crystal, 200m water resistant. The Amazon.ca price that day was $289 CAD until they ran out the next day.

dp

Edited by dpostman

My advice would be to find the watch or watches you are interested in and do a thorough price research of all sources. I was on the Oasis in 2014 and had done no research but found a watch that I really liked - the Citizen Eco-Drive AR3045-52E which is a black ceramic watch for everyday use. It was listed for $675 and they had it "on sale" for $440 which seemed like a good price and I almost bought it but since I had not done any price research I decided not to buy it. When I returned home I found it online from a reputable dealer for $270 which is where I purchased it from.

Would I have preferred to have purchased on the ship as reminder of the cruise - yes. But if I had purchased it I know I would have performed a price check when I returned home and been disappointed in what I paid.

I have found good prices on Movados in both St Thomas and St. Martin that at least matched the best I could find online in in some cases beat the online price. I question then is do you want to spend your vacation day in port haggling over a relatively few bucks if your are in the less than $1,000 dollar watch category?

Edited by Karter

My Timex died on a cruise once, and I can't live without my watch and was forced to purchase a new one. NO ONE had Timex.

I bought a Citizens Eco on St. Thomas, right at the Havensight Mall. Lots of options.

(for the record, it has already died, and my replacement Timex, purchased when I returned home, is still tickin')