First time cruising with children

dd0yl3

We are planning on taking the 4-day Independence of the Seas cruise on March 31. This will be my wife and I second cruise with Royal Caribbean. This time we are bring our two boys (11, 6). We figured a shorter cruise should be fine for their first time. What are some things to do and look out for when cruising with a family? We've been on the Liberty and loved it so we are some what familiar with the layout of the ship. Any info would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are planning on taking the 4-day Independence of the Seas cruise on March 31. This will be my wife and I second cruise with Royal Caribbean. This time we are bring our two boys (11, 6). We figured a shorter cruise should be fine for their first time. What are some things to do and look out for when cruising with a family? We've been on the Liberty and loved it so we are some what familiar with the layout of the ship. Any info would be helpful.

Hmm, lots of things come to mind, here are some first thoughts from me.

• Definitely go to the Adventure Ocean open house on boarding day and get the boys familiar with the youth areas
  • The boys will (should) get bracelets as soon as possible indicating their muster station (make sure it matches yours!); there might be a table with these at the cruise terminal before boarding, or immediately after boarding in the centrum, or definitely at Adventure Ocean
  • The boys will very likely be in different programs due to the age difference (Explorers vs. Voyagers); they are usually pretty strict about enforcing this but if there are very few kids, they might combine some age groups
  • The boys going on the first afternoon/evening of Adventure Ocean programming also lets them meet other kids and make friends on board
  • If the older boy will have unsupervised time at the arcade, do what you can to make sure he can't get unlimited credits via the SeaPass :) (others on CC know more about this, I previously read something about not being able to put a direct cap on the arcade spending but there are workarounds, just be aware of this possibility)
  • Not sure if you know about or will be using Family Time Dining (or if it's even available on Indy), but if it is, Adventure Ocean staff can pick up kids outside the main dining room entrance for the evening program (kids get their dinner faster and then adults can finish their dinner kid-free)
  • Do your kids get car sick/motion sick? Are you prepared to deal with this in rough seas e.g. with pediatric doses of medication such as Gravol/Dramamine (dimenhydrinate)?
  • Kids might get free bingo cards (not sure if this is fleet-wide, or just some ships), so if you play bingo, bring them along :)
  • Depending on how much sugar you want them to have, get or don't get a Royal Refreshment package for them :)

I'm sure others will chip in with their thoughts. I haven't been to Cozumel so I'm afraid I have zero advice or suggestions on family stuff there.

* If you want to do family time dinning, you will sign them up through Adventure Ocean. (I believe you may have to have early seating to do the family time dinning, and family time dinning isn't available on the first night)

* pack any type of medications (script and over the counter) you may need for yourself and the kiddos for various issues....cough, cold, headache, upset stomach, diarrhea, etc. as well as a travel first aid kit.

* set limits with your kiddos on the arcade, they can run up a hefty bill if you don't set these :)

As far as the arcade spending goes, just get the older child a Seapass that is ONLY a room key and does not not allow him to charge. The arcade is very tempting! Hope your family cruise is wonderful! :)

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

We are first time cruisers travelling with two teenagers on voyager. My sister and her three children are also travelling with us so all up we will have 8yrs, 13yrs, 14yrs, 15yrs and 16yr olds.

My question is around lunch time dining in particular, are the children allowed to go and eat without an adult at lunch? If so, whereabouts?

If the kids are wanting a mid afternoon snack is that inclusive in fare or do you pay extra?

TIA :)

P.S They are respectful, trustworthy, well behaved kids ;)

Hi All,

We are first time cruisers travelling with two teenagers on voyager. My sister and her three children are also travelling with us so all up we will have 8yrs, 13yrs, 14yrs, 15yrs and 16yr olds.

My question is around lunch time dining in particular, are the children allowed to go and eat without an adult at lunch? If so, whereabouts?

If the kids are wanting a mid afternoon snack is that inclusive in fare or do you pay extra?

The kids can eat lunch in the Windjammer (buffet) or the Main Dining Room (usually sea days only). Cafe Promenade is open almost 24 hours for snacks, no extra charge.

Kids will have a fantastic time.

Most important thing is going along to the Kids Club on the first day. Some ships have a free hour in the arcade at that time so they can get to know each other. The older ones can come and go from the Teens Club as they choose

In the MDR they can choose from either the main menu or kids menu or even have something from each menu. Don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want. They definitely won't go hungry!

Hi All,

They usually close the kids club during lunch hours. The club is only open in two to three hour blocks. All the food is free unless you eat in the specialty restaurant or get specialty items like cupcakes. You can get pizza and sandwiches anytime. You can also get room service for free 24 hours, although there is a fee late at night.

Not all kids like the clubs so be prepared to find other things to do.

One of the only times we've done an excursion through the cruise line was in Cozumel. The Save a Sea Turtle Experience was excellent. My then 6 year old daughter loved it! (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=CZT1&DestinationCode=CARIB&sourcePage=shorexByTypePortDest&ActivityTypeId=42)

Another suggestion for Cozumel is Paradise Beach. Grab a cab and go. Really nice beach and pool and good food too.