Global Entry System

KirkNC

I am curious if anyone has signed up for this and if yes what their experience has been like. Is it worth the time and money?

I have signed up for this. It is essentially pre-tsa with an international piece for an extra $15. I travel a lot for business and live in Orlando. The Orlando airport is hardly ever less than a 20 min security wait. With global entry I get through in 2 minutes keep my shoes on and laptop in the case. I have used it at other airports and it is a major time saver. Haven't traveled international with it yet, first trip in April, and it should help in customs.

How long does it take to get the global entry card after your interview? We just submitted our applications.

Usually it takes around a week after you get final approval which can happen at the interview or take up to a couple of weeks. Good thing is that for the most part you don't need the card. GE itself is actually connected to your passport and when returning to the US you use your passport at one of the designated GE kiosk not the GE card. TSA does not require you show the GE card to access PreCheck. It does appear that CBP agents do ask for the GE card when disembarking in Ft Lauderdale as they are lacking kiosk in the cruise terminals.

Edited by Randyk47

I had my interview at ORD. I started with an appointment 4 months out. However I was told to constantly check their site from openings from cancellations. 3 days later I was done. My wife's appointment wound up being for the following Monday. She came with and was interviewed at the same time. One week later we had our cards.

First use saved us over 2 hours at PHL returning from Rome. Paid for itself with that trip alone in my opinion.

Kirk, yes it is good.

It give you TSA pre at USA airports. Saves not only time or hassle.

It saves you time returning from outside the USA via airplane.

I just used it the other day at Port Everglades. Now what was funny was that the line for Global Entry was longer than the other lines. Since it was our first time using it at the port, we went on the longer line and it did take us longer but we were not in a rush. Since it didn't use a kiosk it is possible that some on the line were confused and didn't have GE.

Keith

I have signed up for this. It is essentially pre-tsa with an international piece for an extra $15. I travel a lot for business and live in Orlando. The Orlando airport is hardly ever less than a 20 min security wait. With global entry I get through in 2 minutes keep my shoes on and laptop in the case. I have used it at other airports and it is a major time saver. Haven't traveled international with it yet, first trip in April, and it should help in customs.

Don't tell the CBP that GE is TSA PreCheck with International reentry thrown in. :D. Actually CBP promotes GE as a foreign travel program with PreCheck as an added benefit. While PreCheck and Global Entry are both Department of Homeland Security Trusted Traveler programs they are administered totally separately and actually go through somewhat different background checks. Technically it's easier to get PreCheck than Global Entry as relatively minor even old offenses will be an issue with Global Entry but not PreCheck.

The biggest delay is between pre approval and interview. It's currently around 2-3 months in Fort Lauderdale.

They asked how long it took after the interview. :)

You are most often accepted within 30 minutes of the interview. I got the email literally a minute after walking out!

They asked how long it took after the interview. :)

You are most often accepted within 30 minutes of the interview. I got the email literally a minute after walking out!

Thanks. I misread the question.

I agree each airport has much different wait times. Here in Tampa the wait was about two months. But we looked at Orlando and could get one within a week. So we made an appointment and stopped by on our way to Universal Studios.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Was the Tampa Airport the only place in this area for the interview? And how long after your interview in Orlando did you receive approval?

Was the Tampa Airport the only place in this area for the interview? And how long after your interview in Orlando did you receive approval?

We only checked Tampa and Orlando. There is a Global Entry website that has other locations so there may be some other airports. We were approved the same day we had our interviews in Orlando. We received the information in the mail within a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Applied 1/5/16

Received e-mail that we were able to schedule interview 1/8/16

Scheduled interviews at Orlando Sanford Airport for 1/26/16. This was due to our schedules, not theirs, could have had interviews the next week (week of 1/11/16).

Interviews were scheduled for 11:15 and 11:30. They were running behind a little bit. Anyway, we received our e-mails notifying us we were approved and could start using the program immediately at 12:09 and 12:22.

The agent I interviewed with told me it would take about a week to receive my card.

Pretty darn fast service, we thought! :)

Wow, great positive feedback! One problem for us I see is the interview itself. Closest place is Charlotte which is 2.5 hours and they only have hours from 8:00 to 2:00 during the week. We could go to IAD, four hours but they do have Saturday hours.

Thanks for the responses!

I haven't read all the posts on this so sorry if I am repeating what you have already been told.

First, yes, very worthwhile the cost. The precheck is awesome and when we came back from Mexico in November, we zipped right thru as others waited in long lines.

As far at the interview goes...we were scheduled for interviews in Portland. Needed to change them. As we were headed to Ireland and had a long layover in Chicago last August, we were able to book interviews there. Very quick and painless. Only downside was that we had to go back thru security to catch our flight...but with precheck...no problem!!

I would recommend this for anyone who travels internationally often.

It's the best invention in travel since the airplane IMO.

Absolutely!! Domestically you are pre-checked... no taking off shoes, belt, light jackets, etc. Internationally we've skipped all the long customs lines and now this week at Port Everglades we went thru the Global Entry line with 1 family ahead of us and bypassed the group of several hundred with-in the winding and waiting ropes.

Best thing ever!!

Thank you!

Max - how long did it take you to get pre-approved? And does anyone know if the pre-approval is done at a national location or at a local, state location?

It took 2 days for my wife, and 4 for me. It could have been because of the weekend, or it's entirely possible that I'm a shady character.

BTW, you pay the $100 fee for the application, regardless of whether or not you are accepted. Global Entry is a little more strict, so you need a clean record.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/08/1-things-you-didnt-know-about-global-entry/

I want to say it is terrible!!!!!!!

(So the lines don't get longer-haha)

But I can't.

It's wonderful

Have used it flying and sailing and it saves so much time and aggravation.

Worth every penny and then some

Helaine