Princess Moves to Galveston?!?

bjcourt

I do believe they will be back to Galveston/Bayport sometime in the future. Last time they were gone 6 years or so and it may be that long again. Princess is expanding to Asia at the present time and their ships are all committed to better markets or promising markets. They have a new ship coming to the fleet next year and rumor has it that they are contracting for two more.

Houston port is used now for automobile imports.

I don't see any line coming back back to Bayport unless the port comes up with a big bag of cash or guarantees to pay off losses from weather.

Port of Houston to lease Bayport Cruise Terminal, sell gangway system

www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/.../port-of-houston-officially-exits-the-cruise.htm...

Jul 27, 2016 - The Port of Houston Authority is preparing to repurpose the Bayport Cruise Terminalnow that its short-lived cruise business has pulled out

As posted above, the Bayport cruise terminal essentially no longer exists, so a return to Houston is definitely not in the future.

Galveston is currently well served by three Carnival ships and one Royal Caribbean ship. In the winter there will be an additional Royal Caribbean ship.

All five of those ships include Cozumel on their itineraries.

I am not certain there is a large demand for Princess to home a ship in Galveston to provide a sixth choice for visiting Cozumel.

As posted above, the Bayport cruise terminal essentially no longer exists, so a return to Houston is definitely not in the future.

Galveston is currently well served by three Carnival ships and one Royal Caribbean ship. In the winter there will be an additional Royal Caribbean ship.

All five of those ships include Cozumel on their itineraries.

I am not certain there is a large demand for Princess to home a ship in Galveston to provide a sixth choice for visiting Cozumel.

IMO........I don't see it either.

Since Princess seems to offer many longer itineraries than Carnival, why not 10 day itineraries including Eastern Caribbean or Southern Caribbean cruises from Galveston?

Celebrity tried that (Panama Canal) a few years ago and that did not work for them for some reason. We actually took one; saved enough on airfare to upgrade to a Sky Suite; nice, very nice.

Since Princess seems to offer many longer itineraries than Carnival, why not 10 day itineraries including Eastern Caribbean or Southern Caribbean cruises from Galveston?

I think Galveston is less accessible by air than other ports (e.g. Delta does not fly there--it's essentially the other air out of DTW, our home airport). Even Houston-Bayport fell in that category when we sailed on the Caribbean P out of there a year ago. It was an hour bus ride, maybe more, from the Houston airport. Maybe we're spoiled by having easy air access to FLL where the airport and port are so close to each other, not to mention all the lodgings available between the two.

Barb

I have to wonder just how many cruise ships can be accommodated by the various Caribbean ports. Already I have seem extreme port congestion with 3-5 cruise ships in port at the same time. If the island ports can't handle more visiting ships, there probably won't be any need for additional embarkation ports.

Still only on the coasts. Princess has their 2019 spring schedule in place. The only US ports of departure are southern FL or the west coast, nothing in the middle of the US. .

That seems pretty definitive.

Most of these threads really come down to "I wish that princess would cruise from my home town."

Yeah, me too.

Even with the schedules set, I supposed some bean counter could look up and realize

"we're making too much money. let's go back to bayport!"

Most of these threads really come down to "I wish that princess would cruise from my home town."

Yeah, me too.

Too funny! That is exactly what I see - "I live near xyz, I wish they would cruise from there". Or "they need to change itineraries more often as they keep doing the same ones from the port I live closest to".

I live an hour from you and am still hoping for the ship to arrive on the Platte River!

I think Galveston is less accessible by air than other ports (e.g. Delta does not fly there--it's essentially the other air out of DTW, our home airport). Even Houston-Bayport fell in that category when we sailed on the Caribbean P out of there a year ago. It was an hour bus ride, maybe more, from the Houston airport. Maybe we're spoiled by having easy air access to FLL where the airport and port are so close to each other, not to mention all the lodgings available between the two.

The cruise terminal in Galveston is approximately 40 miles from the HOU airport and approximately 70 miles from the IAH airport.

Many foreign ports are also a distance from the main airports. Examples: Le Havre (Paris), Southampton (London), Civitavecchia (Rome), Whittier (Anchorage), Valparaiso (Santiago).

The cruise terminal in Galveston is approximately 40 miles from the HOU airport and approximately 70 miles from the IAH airport.

Many foreign ports are also a distance from the main airports. Examples: Le Havre (Paris), Southampton (London), Civitavecchia (Rome), Whittier (Anchorage), Valparaiso (Santiago).

That is correct. If I had a choice of flying to Houston and traveling that distance to ports or to FLL and not traveling, FLL is going to win when talking about Caribbean cruises.

I am willing to travel more for the above cruises/ports you list above because they are better cruises/ports IMO.

I like Galveston (or New Orleans) because I can take Amtrak there! I live in AZ and I can get to Galveston the next day. Going to Florida from AZ is ridiculous right now until they re-establish service between New Orleans and Florida...so, it gives me another port other than the West Coast -- meaning the Caribbean :) :)