What is a thermal suite?

lahlah57

It is an area in the spa that has a private hot tub and several recliner style chairs. The chairs are tile on the outside but are heated. You lay on them (usually on a towel) and the warmth is very relaxing. We booked the thermal suite for a whole cruise one time, seems like it was $149 pp or something like that. We enjoyed it but not sure I would pay that much to do it again. It makes a lot more sense to do it on a TA than a port intensive cruise.

Thermal Pool and loungers (in different areas) for the Vista Class and Signature Class and soon the Pinnacle Class ships:

2013NieuwAmsterdamShipPictures289_zpscb96cd7f.jpg

2013NieuwAmsterdamShipPictures290_zps4b11a442.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag331/KrazyKruizers/2013%20Nieuw%20Amsterdam%20Ship%20pictures/Nieuw%20Amsterdam%20Ship%20Pictures/2013NieuwAmsterdamShipPictures291_zps896ed9a0.jpg

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

That's different than the one we went to (I think we may have been on the Prinsendam). The hot tub was much smaller on ours, three people would have maxed it out. As you stated, that is for vista and signature class.

Thermal Spa:

This is a special area near the spa appointment desk on the Lido deck that requires a separate fee and offers slightly different amenities depending on the ship. On the larger Vista class and higher - Noordam, Oosterdam etc there is a large heated shallow (4ft?) "Jacuzzi" pool that you can actually paddle around in, along with underwater loungers where you can just lay out more passively in the bubbles.

Also included in the Thermal spa package is a heated room with very lovely ocean views with heated ceramic tile loungers for totally passive warming and relaxation, and aroma-scented large massaging shower chambers.

The smaller ships (Rotterdam, Maasdam etc) differ in the smaller size of the jacuzzi tub - more like a large capacity but indoor hot tub.

You sign up at the spa appointment desk and they give you a sticky tab on your cruise card. Prices differ depending upon the length of the cruise and perhaps also expected popularity - more popular perhaps when the itinerary is cool than when the itinerary is hot? But typically it is several hundred dollars extra, there are single and dual-use prices as well as occasional specials or one day offers. One day thermal spa use is now part of the 5 star mariner package.

When you want to use the thermal spa you exchange your cruise card for a locker key at the spa appointment desk. There are changing rooms for men or women with lockers, showers, etc. So you can either wear a coverup over your swim suit or change at the locker room to then go on to the different rooms with the spa tub, or the heated ceramic loungers. You choice, no preferred way to do this.

There are towels available to take with you to the spa pool room or lay out on the heated ceramic loungers. There are also regular padded loungers in the spa pool area. Typically if others are waiting for the heated ceramic loungers there is a 20 minute time limit, but you will find times of the day when there are very few people in either facility.

I think they are open until 8pm or 10pm. And there are spa attendants available to help you use the facilities and answer questions. Best to take a tour first before you sign up.

Edited by OlsSalt

Also included in the thermal suites are a dry sauna and steam room. Used both R class and Vista Class. Back in 2010, they also had a room with fruit-infused water for free, but I didn't see it on my recent cruise. Reason why I bought the passes was that I shared my room with at least 2 other persons, so used the spa as an escape / bathing alternative.

We did the Thermal Suite package on one of our cruises I think on the Eurodam (but it could have been the Westerdam.) The area with the tile loungers also has a steam room and sauna as well as several showers. The "whirlpool" or "Hot Tub" people are referencing on the Vista, Signature and new Pinnacle ships is actually a thalassotherapy pool. The water contains specific minerals that are supposed to be therapeutic in some way. I don't know how therapeutic they are, but it sure is relaxing! Also, the minerals will pretty much destroy the colors in a swim suit, so wear an old one you don't care too much about.

For us, it was not worth doing again on a warm weather itinerary. We would only book that package again on a TA, Alaska, New England or Norther Europe itinerary.

• Like 1

As stated by a previous response, it's a great escape. I've used it on several cruises and it's rarely crowded. the showers are nice and the whole thing is very relaxing and quiet. Even a suite room can feel crowded at times if you are used to having your space, and it's nice to have some extra space on the ship.

So it is like a private spa experience for alot of $$. Maybe the Koningsdam will have it:confused:

Does the spa have simple steam rooms and saunas for use by whoever?

I thought it was a lot of money when we booked it as well, but it kept DW happy!

Since then during the Winters we have been visiting a Turkish / Russian Spa near us and it costs $35.00 pp per visit, so if w went every day for a week it would cost $490.00! Granted, the facilities at this Spa are more extensive than the ship, but not THAT much more extensive! The Thermal Suite access on HAL is a relative bargain.

So it is like a private spa experience for alot of $$. Maybe the Koningsdam will have it:confused:

Does the spa have simple steam rooms and saunas for use by whoever?

I don't believe so. (but someone will correct if I'm wrong) You can buy daily or cruise-long passes to the "Retreat", or use it after any spa "treatment".

Here is the brochure, which has everything but prices!!!

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/GreenhouseSpa.pdf?WT.ac=Activities_GreenhouseSpa_AddlResources_PDF

(There are specials in the newsletter every day.) I believe I can check prices on specific things on the Volendam (R class ship) or the Westerdam (Vista ship) by logging on to my booking -- if there is something you are particularly wanting to know.

You can buy daily or cruise-long passes to the "Retreat", ....

Best not to go referring to it as the "Retreat", though. Depending on the ship, the "Retreat" is either an area of private cabanas, or an area of the aft Lido Deck. The word "Retreat" is never used to refer to the spa area on a HAL ship.

Best not to go referring to it as the "Retreat", though. Depending on the ship, the "Retreat" is either an area of private cabanas, or an area of the aft Lido Deck. The word "Retreat" is never used to refer to the spa area on a HAL ship.

As seen on HAL:• THE GREENHOUSE RETREAT† is a social relaxation center that

offers therapeutic mild sauna and steam grottos to gently cleanse and

purify the body. Feel free to move in and out of grottos and showers

as you wish, and then relax on heated ceramic lounges and allow the

pressures of life to rinse away. This is a his and hers social experience,

and you can come alone or with friends. We encourage the use of

The Greenhouse Retreat before and after all spa treatments. Daily and

cruise passes available

As seen on HAL:• THE GREENHOUSE RETREAT† is a social relaxation center that...

Three different reference to "Retreat"? :eek: Wonderful. Just wonderful.

No one will ever get confused with that. :rolleyes: Not the first time HAL has given the same name to different things, but usually it's only two different things---not three.

Does anyone know how much it is for the cruise long retreat and can you use ti as much as you want once purchased? Say a week long purchase.

Well, I was wrong above: none of the "passes" are available on line for pre-purchase even once logged in to my booking, only individual appointments AKA "treatments". So we'll have to wait for someone who has done it to answer!

Does anyone know how much it is for the cruise long retreat and can you use ti as much as you want once purchased? Say a week long purchase.

The thermal package was $249 for two for the week on our recent Westerdam cruise and you can use it anytime it is open for the entire cruise. It opened around 9:00 a.m. I believe and closed around 10:00 p.m. They closed it on the last night for deep cleaning, we saw it drained and they were cleaning it.

Edited by EbayCruiser

• 3 weeks later...

The thermal suites with hydrotherapy are my favorite thing about cruising now. I won't go on a ship without one!! I absolutely love how relaxed I get in these and having the peace and quiet (most of the time). Sometimes I do 1/2 day in port and spend the rest of the day in the spa. Most of the time spa-goers are very friendly and polite, I've only had one bad experience to date. :D

Lady Anna