As a senior age tourist, can I receive concession discounts?

Hello to all who live in Australia and New Zealand,

In my research for things to do and see in both Auckland, New Zealand (3 days pre-cruise) and Sydney, Australia (3 days post-cruise) I have seen pricing for what are called "Concessions" for various transportation and entry fees to attractions, museums etc. There is mention of a "Senior Card".

I have not been able to find out if showing my passport or ID will work for receiving the discounts. My guess is these discounts are only for residents of each country.

Thank you to all who have an answer. We are over the moon excited to visit your countries!

Lin

Each states have different rules on concessions, some will not recognise concessions from other states for example.

Suggest you google concessions for seniors in the states you will be visiting in Australia and you will find your answers there.

I agree with GUT2407. Always ask as it does vary from attraction to attraction. I know from experience overseas that it always pays to ask - you may well be pleasantly surprised. As said they can only so 'no' and it doesn't hurt to ask. Welcome.:)

Just produce your documents with proof of age, you will get some discounts, even a free coffee or soft drink at McDonalds if you buy something to eat.

As has been said, no charge for asking.

Like when I was in Norfolk, England a few months ago, the Queen even gave us a senior admission price into her holiday home - Sandringham. Thanks your Majesty.

Above all enjoy Australia and New Zealand !!

Edited by NSWP

I agree with GUT2407. Always ask as it does vary from attraction to attraction. I know from experience overseas that it always pays to ask - you may well be pleasantly surprised. As said they can only so 'no' and it doesn't hurt to ask. Welcome.:)

I agree. I got free entry to the Roman Forums which were closed to all tourists ( including tour groups) due to a strike by the employees of the Monuments and Ancient Sites (etc) Union. I produced my Teachers Federation card and was welcomed, given a recorded guide and set off around an almost deserted site.

We had a 77 year old relative visiting from Europe who we took around. We would ask politely if the senior concession applied to overseas tourists. Sometimes they were happy to give the reduced price and other times they (just as politely) said it was only for Australian seniors.

Just ask with a smile. :)