Calling all foodies!

goldgirl2

Always love the lamb shank and the duck dish. Something I look forward to every Royal cruise. They are carry over dishes after the last menu overhaul. Have been enjoying them since my first cruise in 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I WAIT for duck and lamb shank. Guess I'd have to eat twice if they ever had them on the same night.

No one has mentioned the vidalia onion tart that they used to serve on every cruise. I never heard anyone say a bad word about it so I wish they'd bring it back.

As a side note, we love the MDR and other than dining in Chops occasionally, we always eat there.

Edited by sellwingri

...No one has mentioned the vidalia onion tart that they used to serve on every cruise. I never heard anyone say a bad word about it so I wish they'd bring it back....

I miss that, in addition to the scallop risotto. I wish they would bring back the scallop risotto as an entree.

I miss that, in addition to the scallop risotto. I wish they would bring back the scallop risotto as an entree.

Brilliance had a butternut risotto that was to die for on the Thanksgiving menu. So good, but only that night

Brilliance had a butternut risotto that was to die for on the Thanksgiving menu. So good, but only that night

Butternut squash risotto, right? I'll bet that was excellent. We've only done a Thanksgiving cruise once, on Liberty, and they did have turkey and stuffing, but that's already one of the menus anyhow.

Edited by clarea

Butternut squash risotto, right? I'll bet that was excellent. We've only done a Thanksgiving cruise once, on Liberty, and they did have turkey and stuffing, but that's already one of the menus anyhow.

I don't recall if they printed a special menu or he just told us about it. Portofino used to have a good risotto. We even did risotto class back when Freedom had their culinary classes. Got to cook in Chops kitchen on induction burners.

We were on Freedom a few years ago When we placed our dinner order our waiter said he was going to bring a few more dishes for us to try. DD DS DH & I really appreciated that we could try others that we might not have picked. There wasn't anything we would not eat again. for the rest of the cruise he continued to bring 2-3 extra plates of items we didn't pick so that we could give them a try. Between the four of us and a teenage son, none of it went to waste.

How long ago did they serve the real honey stung chicken? I was on Royal 2012 and 2013.

I don't know much about Dutch food. Zero in fact. That sounds... interesting. I would have tried it. For years I wanted to try tacos de sesos (cow brains). But after the mad cow scare you cannot find it in CA anymore. At least not in LA or OC. After we moved to Vegas I found a place that sells it. I can now say I've tried it, but won't be having it again. Very mushy texture, not a lot of beefy flavor, a little irony and gritty/powdery too.

The rijsttafel isn't Dutch, it's Indonesian. The Netherlands colonized that area and brought back a lot of the food. A rijsttafel is a r stay rant that serves Indonesian food, all very new to me and my friends. All I can remember is chicken satay which was delicious, and that gray egg, which wasn't.

I thought maybe it was related to the eggs discussed earlier in the thread.

No one has mentioned the vidalia onion tart that they used to serve on every cruise. I never heard anyone say a bad word about it so I wish they'd bring it back.

I was sorely disappointed to read they had dropped them from the menu.

Next will they take away our savory bites?

The rijsttafel isn't Dutch, it's Indonesian. The Netherlands colonized that area and brought back a lot of the food. A rijsttafel is a r stay rant that serves Indonesian food, all very new to me and my friends. All I can remember is chicken satay which was delicious, and that gray egg, which wasn't.

I thought maybe it was related to the eggs discussed earlier in the thread.

Oh I have no idea. The other gray eggs I was talking about are Chinese and Taiwanese. I guess it could be similar but I'm guessing it's Northern Chinese food. May not be the same as down in SE Asia. Don't actually know too much about Indonesian food either. In that area, only familiar with Viet, Thai, and Laotian.

... Next will they take away our savory bites?

Maybe. They used to have a special bread choice every night, like cornbread. No special choices anymore, and I have not seen cornbread in a long while.

I enjoy the sour dough rolls but the cheese rolls are very good as well.

My wife likes the cheese rolls and I like the sour dough rolls and savory bites. But man, cutting into those sour dough rolls results in crumbs ALL OVER the place! :eek:

The waiters often doesn't sweep for crumbs until after the main course (before dessert), if they do it at all. In my opinion, they should do it right after the bread and before the appetizer(s)...

I tear mine apart. Someone told me bread should be broken, not sliced

That's if you subscribe to formal dining etiquette. I suppose what I do would be considered boorish behaviour by some ;) Given how brittle the sour dough crust is, I think tearing it would still result in a lot of crumbs...?

I'm sure it can be debated ad nauseum as to what's "polite" or "proper" manners at the table, and which "rules" can be relaxed in the present context...really not going to open that can of worms :)

I like cutting my dinner roll in half, buttering the inside of both halves, folding them over so there's only the crust facing outward and visible, and eating them that way. Sort of like a butter sandwich :)

Edited by moopetguy

Laura cuts cupcakes in half and turns them into a sandwich

Yeessss...I love doing this to get an icing sandwich ;) But the way some cupcakes are made, the cake portion crumbles too easily and the whole thing falls apart. Bah. I've resorted to eating those with a fork instead, folding down the cupcake liner into a makeshift plate.

I think it's been at least a couple of years since I've seen Honey Stung Chicken in the Windjammer on embarkation day.

Bob, we actually had it on a cruise last year (don't remember which one). I considered taking a piece back to the room in case any nails had come loose.

I don't think anybody who is going on a cruise would (reasonably) expect a Michelin-star rated restaurant and food experience.

That said, it is apparent to regular cruisers that RCI's food quality has at best been inconsistent, and at worst is obviously declining over the years.

My palate, while somewhat discriminating, is not by any means refined. I don't consider myself a foodie or a gourmet. The quality of the MDR food is generally "good enough" to me, so I'll have seconds (and thirds...and fourths) please :) However, I can definitely tell (as an example) that the shrimp they use is of mediocre quality. I've had worse, but I've definitely had better as well.

Close to what? Tried it once. Never again. But then I don't like Chops these days either (sort of liked it a couple of menus ago).

Had it on Legend and it was probably best dinner I've ever had on a ship. Ate and drank everything, fought over seconds. I agree, Chops is blah lately