Calling all foodies!

goldgirl2

In the MDR the banana and rum soup is amazing! But if you're a foodie check out Chops Grille. My husband was never one to try specialty restaurants but I convinced him during our honeymoon. Ever since then we go to Chops one night of the cruise. Everything there is excellent!

If you are truly a foodie don't get your hopes up....it is quantity over quality these days.....you won't be hungry but you will likely be underwhelmed . .....I would call it unpredictable .....cold soups are always a favorite.....the speciality restaurants are more like the old days...

Just my opinions, obviously, but here goes...

Under the Classics, the Manhattan strip steak is pretty bad. I resorted to it a few times, for example with Mojo comes up, because I don't find most of the main courses on that menu appetizing to me (the prime rib is okay, I guess). I might give the pork chop a try next time. Failing that, the linguini pomodoro (I think it's often the pasta at lunch in the MDR) isn't bad but there's no meat protein in that one :)

Whenever the bay scallop gratin comes up, I get at least 2 of those. My wife is very fond of the escargot. Who doesn't like lots of butter? :) The beef tenderloin on Saffron gets a passing grade from me. The shrimp ravioli is hit or miss for me.

I usually love when Shiitake comes up for the New England clam chowder (which is great, I could eat 10 bowls of that) and the shrimp gyoza. My personal best is 8 plates of gyoza (they only put 5 or 6 pieces on the plate). But on Grandeur, they changed the preparation...gyoza is supposed to be pan fried! They deep-fried them instead! Weird. My wife likes the rack of lamb from Shiitake.

Under Pimiento, I order 3 or 4 plates of the garlic tiger shrimp. I've found the lasagna and the chicken marsala to be enjoyable as well. I have had all of these together in one sitting :)

On the Basil menu I like the cream of mushroom soup. The mains are sort of meh for me. However, I have been known to avoid menu items just because I can't pronounce them or don't know what some of the ingredients are ;)

Jasmine is awesome because that's when I have 3 (or more) fisherman's plates. Though the quality of the lobster can be hit or miss. On Grandeur, it was a hit...direct hit for me, and I loved it. For starters, I like the creamed wild mushrooms, and the roasted poblano pepper and corn soup is great, too (I could also have about 10 bowls of this).

Pomodoro has me seeking out multiple fish, seafood, and mash plates (again, about 3). And I don't cheat by ignoring the sides...I eat everything on each plate. :D

Under the Classics, the Manhattan strip steak is pretty bad. I resorted to it a few times, for example with Mojo comes up, because I don't find most of the main courses on that menu appetizing to me (the prime rib is okay, I guess). I might give the pork chop a try next time. Failing that, the linguini pomodoro (I think it's often the pasta at lunch in the MDR) isn't bad but there's no meat protein in that one :)

Whenever the bay scallop gratin comes up, I get at least 2 of those. My wife is very fond of the escargot. Who doesn't like lots of butter? :) The beef tenderloin on Saffron gets a passing grade from me. The shrimp ravioli is hit or miss for me.

I usually love when Shiitake comes up for the New England clam chowder (which is great, I could eat 10 bowls of that) and the shrimp gyoza. My personal best is 8 plates of gyoza (they only put 5 or 6 pieces on the plate). But on Grandeur, they changed the preparation...gyoza is supposed to be pan fried! They deep-fried them instead! Weird. My wife likes the rack of lamb from Shiitake.

Under Pimiento, I order 3 or 4 plates of the garlic tiger shrimp. I've found the lasagna and the chicken marsala to be enjoyable as well. I have had all of these together in one sitting :)

On the Basil menu I like the cream of mushroom soup. The mains are sort of meh for me. However, I have been known to avoid menu items just because I can't pronounce them or don't know what some of the ingredients are ;)

Jasmine is awesome because that's when I have 3 (or more) fisherman's plates. Though the quality of the lobster can be hit or miss. On Grandeur, it was a hit...direct hit for me, and I loved it. For starters, I like the creamed wild mushrooms, and the roasted poblano pepper and corn soup is great, too (I could also have about 10 bowls of this).

Pomodoro has me seeking out multiple fish, seafood, and mash plates (again, about 3). And I don't cheat by ignoring the sides...I eat everything on each plate. :D

Excellent review! Thanks!

Excellent review! Thanks!

You're welcome :) Just remembered something else. This will likely appeal to only a very small percentage of passengers, though.

When I was on board Oasis, they had chicken congee at breakfast. That was awesomesauce. :D RCI was clearly catering to the Asian demographic present on their largest class of ship.

I don't know if it's available on other classes such as Freedom or Quantum (well I imagine with Quantum OTS serving the Asian market, they would offer it on that one if not Anthem as well). But I can't wait to experience the chicken congee again!

Since you didn't mention which ship specifically you want to hear from, I had wide ranges of like and dislike

Like from Anthem

Escargot, LOBSTER TAIL, hibachi steak, American Icon Candy Bar, Duck La Orange, crab cake, wonton ragoon, COOKIES, sushi, Jamie Oliver lasagna

Dislike from Anthem

scramble egg, grilled cheese and tomato soup, BUFFET food, Sorrento pizza(was about to try one till i saw the dough was pre packaged, the Louisiana dish for breakfast(forgot the name of it), cocoanut soup from Silk.

like from Explorer

Cold Soup(which it was not on Anthem grrrrr) LOBSTER TAIL, Tiger shrimp, Thanksgiving meal(turkey and ham dish) apple pie, caesar salad.

Dislike from Explorer

Lamb

Like From Allure

LOBSTER TAIL, cold soup, caesar salad. food from Giovanni, hot dog,

Dislike from Allure

can't remember any

If you noticed above caesar was not mention on the Anthem because it was a big miss for us.To the OP , please note that all class ship is different to one another in food wise.

Have u ever find a waiter that give you a funny face because of the large order?

I had a waiter on the adventure that told me that I only can have one fishermen plate and wait until everybody else at the restaurant order for me to ask for another one ( I was expecting that response from her [emoji15])

What are your favorite dishes and least favorite? I was looking at the menus and most appetizers have no description. Just wondering what is a must try or skip it for all menu items.

Favorite: Rosemary Lamb Shank, Tiger Shrimp.

On multiple cruises, I ordered the Prime Rib thinking I would like it better each time... And guess what - I never liked it on the ships! I regret ordering it every time. The texture is SO strange - like processed meat almost. Every time!

In contrast, I love the filet of beef! Always delicious! Also like the garlic shrimp (although last time I had it, they were so overcooked that the waiter couldn't get them out of the shells and brought me a new plate - same problem there!

Lobster is hit and miss but I always give it a try anyway.

And just to add - not sure if it's still on the menu but I loved the Moroccan Chicken Salad appetizer!

Also the chicken Marsala was a hit for me (although last time the chicken was different - looked like a frozen breaded chicken breast). I also love the eggplant mozzarella tower - not sure if that one is still on the menu.

Dont rely on all these people for granted. It all about your taste bud. Some food you heard here could be good for you and some bad for you. Like i said on anthem i didn't like the coconut soup in Silk, but you may like it. It go on and on. Just order whatever appealed your taste bud and try it. if it no good try something else. Also , when you reading the menu, try to memorized a few dishes , this way you can talk to waiter right there without going ugh what should i try now and have to wait for the menu to come to your table. Remember you paid for these food so there no limit on how much you can change your mind. The only time i think you can't keep changing the dish is in specialty restaurant. That area never disappoint me to say yuck. This is how i deal when it come to food. I alway try new dishes that i am willing to try that i wouldn't want to experiment on land.

The Mojo pork chop is one of my favorites when it's handled well and juicy. The seasoning is excellent. Sometimes, it ends up on the dry side and is only okay.

This is how i deal when it come to food. I alway try new dishes that i am willing to try that i wouldn't want to experiment on land.

A cruise is indeed the best place to try things. I never would have tasted escargot if it hadn't been on the menu on one of my first cruises.

On the other hand, if it turns out you don't care for something you

ordered, remember that if you try it again back home, taste and presentation may be very different.

To me, the rosemary lamb shank is the best meal of the week. Second would probably be the filet of beef or the duck. The garlic tiger shrimp is also great usually. I really like their cold soups, escargot, shrimp cocktail and in the bread basket, the savory bites.

The Prime rib was pretty good when I first started cruising on Royal several years ago and I would get that with lobster. Now its awful. I totally agree about the weird texture. Very very cheap grade of beef.

Have u ever find a waiter that give you a funny face because of the large order?

Yes, but the raised eyebrow usually happens only on the first night. Once I prove I can eat a lot of food and that my eyes truly are not bigger than my stomach, it's all good for the remainder of the cruise :D

The waiter quickly figures it out and sometimes even has an extra plate waiting for me. For example, if I ordered two plates of the garlic tiger shrimp, I've had a third brought to me very quickly without me asking (or even knowing about it being available) because it was waiting for me on the cart under a plate cover. It's quicker than me having to ask for a third and needing to wait until the waiter goes to the galley. Now that's good service! :D

A couple of years ago, I really got into tofu and saw that crispy tofu was on the menu. What I got was a block of unflavored deep fried tofu. If anyone is familiar with tofu, you would know that most of it's flavor comes from what it is seasoned or cooked with, and this had nothing but an oily taste. Also, isn't the point of tofu that is is healthy? The whole dish was baffling, but to be fair I never saw it on a menu again.

BREAKFAST:

My favourite breakfast in the MDR or WJ (for faster service) is lox, cream cheese, onions and capers. The bagel is not bad when it's toasted. Sometimes they "hide" the lox in the WJ but usually you just have to ask for it and lo and behold, it appears.

LUNCH:

I don't know what the big deal is with the tutti salad in the MDR. It's just a salad bar and you don't get to serve yourself. I prefer the WJ for lunch - especially the Indian curries when they have them.

DINNER:

The last few cruises, we've skipped the MDR entirely. No patience and I'm not a lover of shrimp or lobster. But when I do go, the lamb shank is definitely my favourite. I also like the Chicken Marsala and Braised Beef Duo. Creamed wild mushrooms for a starter is very good. Too bad they removed the onion quiche when the menus changed a while back.

AND . . . mustn't forget those tiny triangular savory bites in the MDR. When they're not like rocks, they're very good.

PROMENADE CAFE and LATTITUDE -- Cream cheese pops -- YUMMY!!

I'm a foodie. I live to eat, and I love to eat exceptional meals. When I travel, my biggest focus is on where I can get the most extraordinary tastes.

This is NOT why I cruise. There are some good dishes on board. None of them will come close to "foodie" standards.

Having said that, skip the MDR. The environment alone precludes really appreciating the food. When it comes out with a thousand other dishes at the same time, how good can it really be?

Chops has some nice items. As do the other specialty restaurants. None of them hold a candle to what you can get at most mid level eateries on land. But the setting and the service are elevated enough to make a difference.

Breakfast: corned beef hash in the Windjammer.

Lunch: ? Nothing really stands out. I usually got salads.

Room service: I didn't order.

Dinner: any chilled soups, creamed mushrooms, linguini pomondoro, chicken Marsala, pork chop.

Sweets: cheesecake pops, some kind of cookie w/cranberries in them, vanilla bean ice cream w/warm chocolate chip cookie (MDR), a banana caramel dessert (MDR), Strawberry kiwi pavlova

We travel often and love eating out and trying new things. I have only been on three cruises and I loved dinner in the MDR. Made some wonderful friends and had outstanding service. I remember that more then what I ate. These responses are great and they are making me hungry.