Calling all foodies!

goldgirl2

The thousand yr old black eggs are yucky, imho. There are the salted duck eggs that are normal white, a bit of those are good to add flavor.

It's def an acquired taste. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he went to Hong Kong and couldn't swallow even one bite of the 100 year old egg. I laughed and said, Noob!

I actually don't like the salted white duck eggs bc those are way way way too salty. Even when put in congee or soup, it's just way too intense for me.

I actually don't like the salted white duck eggs bc those are way way way too salty. Even when put in congee or soup, it's just way too intense for me.

Hahaha...noob! ;)

I love both the black preserved duck eggs and the salted white duck eggs :D

I had preserved duck egg and pork congee today at lunch...mmmm... :D

Hahaha...noob! ;)

I love both the black preserved duck eggs and the salted white duck eggs :D

I had preserved duck egg and pork congee today at lunch...mmmm... :D

Googled it, I don't think it appeals to me. I still have most of my teeth. ;)

Maybe when I'm older.

Googled it, I don't think it appeals to me. I still have most of my teeth. ;)

Maybe when I'm older.

That's okay. Every culture has its weird and wonderful foods, some of which are indeed acquired tastes. And there are certainly people for which certain foods may well be too weird for them to ever acquire a taste for :D

Personal example: for as much as I love chocolate, I will never (knowingly) eat chocolate-covered insects. That is too weird for me. :eek:

That's okay. Every culture has its weird and wonderful foods, some of which are indeed acquired tastes. And there are certainly people for which certain foods may well be too weird for them to ever acquire a taste for :D

Personal example: for as much as I love chocolate, I will never (knowingly) eat chocolate-covered insects. That is too weird for me. :eek:

Blue cheese grits with London broil, tasty.

I think I would try chocolate covered insects if given the chance. It's the live ones that are still wriggling that I'd have to say a definite no to. Blech.

I did not care for the Honey stung chicken at all! Lots of people like it though. It was just a chicken patty to me.

That was one of life's disappointments the first time we sailed on RCCL. I have read though, that what is offered now is not what honey stung chicken used to be. We missed the boat!

It's def an acquired taste. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he went to Hong Kong and couldn't swallow even one bite of the 100 year old egg. I laughed and said, Noob!

I ate what looked like a hardboiled egg that was gray at a rijsttafel restaurant in Amsterdam. It tasted like mud........I tried to get somebody else to eat one, but I was the only one that tried it. I have no idea what it was.......definitely an egg, and definitely not something I would try again.

If you are truly a foodie don't get your hopes up....it is quantity over quality these days.....you won't be hungry but you will likely be underwhelmed . .....I would call it unpredictable .....cold soups are always a favorite.....the speciality restaurants are more like the old days...

In the MDR the banana and rum soup is amazing! !

We were on Anthem recently and were underwhelmed by the food. Since it was mentioned here, I figured I'd say that one thing that my wife found very disappointing was the lack of cold fruit soups, which aren't on any of the menus. She always loved the Bananarama soup.

Edited by MisterBill99

We were on Anthem recently and were underwhelmed by the food. Since it was mentioned here, I figured I'd say that one thing that my wife found very disappointing was the lack of cold fruit soups, which aren't on any of the menus. She always loved the Bananarama soup.

I hope that's not true of Oasis. I love the cold fruit soups. It's like having dessert at both ends of my meal.

I hope that's not true of Oasis. I love the cold fruit soups. It's like having dessert at both ends of my meal.

I haven't been on Allure for a few years, but the food in the MDR was very good. I tried a few cold soups. Only a few dishes we didn't care for. That was the only cruise where we ate in the MDR almost every night.

Edited by whataboutport

That was one of life's disappointments the first time we sailed on RCCL. I have read though, that what is offered now is not what honey stung chicken used to be. We missed the boat!

How long ago did they serve the real honey stung chicken? I was on Royal 2012 and 2013.

I ate what looked like a hardboiled egg that was gray at a rijsttafel restaurant in Amsterdam. It tasted like mud........I tried to get somebody else to eat one, but I was the only one that tried it. I have no idea what it was.......definitely an egg, and definitely not something I would try again.

I don't know much about Dutch food. Zero in fact. That sounds... interesting. I would have tried it. For years I wanted to try tacos de sesos (cow brains). But after the mad cow scare you cannot find it in CA anymore. At least not in LA or OC. After we moved to Vegas I found a place that sells it. I can now say I've tried it, but won't be having it again. Very mushy texture, not a lot of beefy flavor, a little irony and gritty/powdery too.

I asked my waiter about that and he said not all class ship have them. Quantum class won't get them. Just gazpacho

How long ago did they serve the real honey stung chicken? I was on Royal 2012 and 2013....

I think it's been at least a couple of years since I've seen Honey Stung Chicken in the Windjammer on embarkation day.