Zika Virus

qsuzi

Is Carnival issuing credits to anyone who wants to cancel or only to pregnant women?

Sorry, Carol.

I didn't really pay close attention but they surely must be discussing it on the Carnival CC forum.

I am headed to Indonesia in four weeks to board the Volendam. If I don't let something like Malaria get in the way of my plans, I'm certainly not going to pull a Chicken Little over Zika.

Sensible precautions, of course, I'm taking my antimalarials (MDR strains notwithstanding) and I will exercise mosquito precautions. Beyond that, there is nothing that need be done, nor should be worried about.

I am headed to Indonesia in four weeks to board the Volendam. If I don't let something like Malaria get in the way of my plans, I'm certainly not going to pull a Chicken Little over Zika.

Sensible precautions, of course, I'm taking my antimalarials (MDR strains notwithstanding) and I will exercise mosquito precautions. Beyond that, there is nothing that need be done, nor should be worried about.

So as a pregnant woman you have no fear of getting a disease that is proven to harm your child? Putting your trust in Deet?

I think it would be a good PR move for the lines to offer DEET to anyone via the dispensary. Could be in the form of tied down aerosol sprays, or the like.

It would be the same idea as offering sea sick medication.

That way, folks can apply DEET on exposed skin areas before going on excursions in the affected countries.

I will bring my own, but not all will.

Edited by jpelleti007

They can buy it along the way. :)

It isn't HAL's fault there are Zika mosquitos in the islands.

IMO, a little personal responsibility is called for. Let's think of taking care of ourselves in circumstances where entirely possible. It isn't always someone else's job to see to our welfare. JMO.....

Ordered my spray, Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin PUMP 8, to take on my Panama cruise in March. I don't want to leave home without it. :)

I find it handy to also take some repellent wipes with me, since they're individually packaged and easy to keep in my purse or daypack. Then if I forget (like that's going to happen :) ) I have some with me. But I'm a mosquito whisperer and can usually be found by the cloud around me.

It was only mentioned as a nice PR move from the cruise lines.

They do offer sea sick medicine, and folks know ahead of time about seasickness on ships.

Sounded like a good idea, at the time.

Have it your way :)

I think in the immediate future, it's a good idea as some just will not think about it. But as time goes by and it becomes common knowledge, then no. You make a good point about the sea-sickness medication, but mosquitos are not usually on the ship.;)

Seeing we have had conversations about Zika virus and the risk of sailing to countries/territories where there are mosquitos that carry that virus, I thought it pertinent to note the announcement I just heard on TV.

WHO has announced Zika to be a global emergency. This is rarely done and in the past has happened for such diseases as Tuberculosis and Polio.

We prebooked with HAL this morning and finished the booking this afternoon with our travel agent. To Eastern Carribean. HAL discussed with me at length and read the information to me and then sent me an attachment and link to accept that we understood. She discussed at length our daughter being 22 and of child bearing years. This afternoon the new alert came out and travel agent called and asked us to discuss and think about with our daughter before he finished the booking. We decided to move forward and book but they discussed it over and over with us. They are very aware of the situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We prebooked with HAL this morning and finished the booking this afternoon with our travel agent. To Eastern Carribean. HAL discussed with me at length and read the information to me and then sent me an attachment and link to accept that we understood. She discussed at length our daughter being 22 and of child bearing years. This afternoon the new alert came out and travel agent called and asked us to discuss and think about with our daughter before he finished the booking. We decided to move forward and book but they discussed it over and over with us. They are very aware of the situation

It' so interesting to hear about individual experiences with how HAL is dealing with this so thanks. We hope you love the Ms Westerdam as much as we did.

Edited by qsuzi

It' so interesting to hear about individual experiences with how HAL is dealing with this so thanks. We hope you love the Ms Westerdam as much as we did.

Thank you!! We are very excited! Counting down! We sail on March 5

Our daughter who is pregnant and in first trimester was supposed to leave on the NA March 6th with a stop in Cozumel. They cancelled today and HAL will only refund 50% as per current policy (unless you are 20 weeks or more).

OMG! 50% would you have your daughter contact Chris Elliott at elliott.org and let him shame HAL.

I think this needs a little press and she will get her deposit back. This is truly beyond belief!

Your daughter of course did the right thing by cancelling.

Here are the Executive Contacts for Hal from the Elliott website

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/holland-america/

OMG! 50% would you have your daughter contact Chris Elliott at elliott.org and let him shame HAL.

I think this needs a little press and she will get her deposit back. This is truly beyond belief!

That's what travel insurance is for.

That's what travel insurance is for.

Absolutely agree with you but I think Zika is a totally different risk! Other Cruiselines are allowing cancellations, as are (reportedly ) airlines. This thing will likely get much uglier and no vaccine in site.

This was not a known risk when this couple booked.

We were told today that HAL would adopt whatever policy Carnival did regarding this. I've seen on the boards today that pregnant women and those traveling with them can get money back or change cruises where there isn't a risk