Rcl stock?

spencerdrivecruiser

Bought shares in the mid $90s and was very excited to see it hit an all time high in the low $100s.

All of a sudden POOOF, the stock is in the low-mid $70s.

China must be a very important market for RCL. With oil futures at record lows and fuel being one of the largest expenses of a cruiseline one would think stocks would soar but guess what? Not happenning! If the stock drops into the $60s I am out.

We bought under $8 during the "economic downturn," and sold in the upper $70's during the Ebola scare. Our reason for selling wasn't Ebola - we were looking for an exit point, and the Ebola scare was just a stimulus to protect our gains.

Picking a bottom, or a top in stock price is very difficult to do. Had we held, we could have scored another $20 per share stock rise. But we locked in a solid gain of 10x our initial investment.

Do your own research. Listen to conference calls and earnings reports. RCL is hosting a conference call on Feb. 2 to discuss fourth quarter. Stock prices are always volatile prior to earnings reports.

The Zika virus is going to be another disease that will be talked about a lot in the coming weeks, but I personally would not let this affect your decision in selling the stock.

I love Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruise lines, but I do think there are going to be some challenges in the future. There is going to be a saturation of cruise ships, with new cruise lines coming to market (Virgin) and river cruises expanding to ocean (Viking). Every existing line has multiple ships scheduled for manufacture over the next few years (Do a Google Search). I don't believe that RC, or any cruise line for that matter, will be able to sustain the premium prices they are currently charging - even for the shiny new Mega Ships. People will have more choices - and pricing always plays a major role in choosing a vacation.

Yes the price of oil is low, really low... But, the market is always ahead of current events. I can confidently say that oil prices will rise. As the price rises - so will the cost to fuel the ships. No one has a crystal ball.

This is all just my opinion and not advice to buy or sell a security. Take it for what it is - a post on a message board.

I wish you the very best in your investment...

- Doc

I originally bought my RCL stock for two reasons to make a profit and the shareholders perk. I put it in my IRA rollover so I knew I would keep it for a while. The perk is useless now since you can only get it if they are not offering any other incentive.

I originally bought my RCL stock for two reasons to make a profit and the shareholders perk. I put it in my IRA rollover so I knew I would keep it for a while. The perk is useless now since you can only get it if they are not offering any other incentive.

That is why I didn't buy RCCL stock even though we use their ships mainly. I bought just 100 shares of Carnival stock because we use Princess. You get the OBC no matter what perks are offered. You can even add a military OBC also along with the shares OBC. No games played like RCCL.

That is why I didn't buy RCCL stock even though we use their ships mainly. I bought just 100 shares of Carnival stock because we use Princess. You get the OBC no matter what perks are offered. You can even add a military OBC also along with the shares OBC. No games played like RCCL.

Likewise, CCL is combinable and they just add it to your booking with no matter what else you already have.:D

bought it during the down turn. I just keep it for What ever reason, I guess finding stocks high right now no reason to change or too lazy to worry.

Besides all the already mentioned issues with RC and other cruise line, I understand that European bookings from American media watchers/junkies, are way down. I use media watchers because, if you watch them Fox/CNN/etc. every thing is a crisis and the sky is falling all over the world.

Edited by north29

I also own CCL stock. RCL has made me money. I think I bought it at $40. I also get the dividend four times a year. It's obvious that RCL could care less about their shareholders. They know we are not happy but they don't seem to listen. I have never seen someone from RCL come on CC and explain their thinking. With all the cutbacks they have made it has made me rethink who I give my vacation money to.

Buying High and Selling Low is always a hard way to make money. Stock pays a 1.5% Dividend. Don't know exactly when you bought, but it only hit $90 the first time ever in July. Sounds like either getting out now or holding on and not planning on selling for years might be the better strategy.

I bought a few years ago at 20$. It's in my ira so I don't plan on selling anytime soon. We mostly do TAs now, so I can get my shareholder benefit of 250$ for every cruise. So far, I have received almost all my purchase money back in OBC. If they stop giving me the OBC for TA cruises, I will probably sell mine then and make a nice profit.

Dave

I bought a few years ago at 20$. It's in my ira so I don't plan on selling anytime soon. We mostly do TAs now, so I can get my shareholder benefit of 250$ for every cruise. So far, I have received almost all my purchase money back in OBC. If they stop giving me the OBC for TA cruises, I will probably sell mine then and make a nice profit.

Dave

Sounds like you have it worked out., too pricey for me but if it drops to $20, I would buy then.:D

Sounds like you have it worked out., too pricey for me but if it drops to $20, I would buy then.:D

Haha.

The reason it would drop that low is when people have fears about its future. Last time it did that there were many saying things like it's a bad investment now at any price, going to go bankrupt and so on.

The same thing said about Qantas by some a few years back...!

Haha.

The reason it would drop that low is when people have fears about its future. Last time it did that there were many saying things like it's a bad investment now at any price, going to go bankrupt and so on.

I have seen Trading places, it is so easy, you just buy when everyone else sells and sell when they all buy.:p

Haha.

The same thing said about GM too. And that one did go to zero.

Dave

We also bought RCL stock years ago at $13. We have completely recouped our investment over the years in OBC. I know that it offers a tiny dividend, but have not been able to use the stockholder benefit for quite some time on regular cruises. Carl and I also have been booking a few TA and I didn't realize the shareholder benefit of $250 was available. Need to research that before we go on TA in October. Thanks for the heads up.

Cindy

I suspect that RCI is having trouble with bookings....thus the $25 deposit to get folks to book....so that they can claim bookings are firm at the stockholder's meeting. Their financials are good for the same reason airline financials are good....oil prices. I have no clue as to the on-board revenue and those types of numbers...but they aren't driving the stock....and I suspect they are desperate when they are making changes like taking away the daily water in aqua which is at best, a rounding error on the financial reports. Finally, two new, expensive ships coming on line in a world where folks are thinking about whether they want to spend their discretionary income on cruises...and whether they want to cruise to trouble spots like istanbul or even labadee (RCL)...and throw in Zitka virus. Let's not forget that Celebrity has timed their Marco sales campaign to the folks with the least time and the most choices on how to spend their money....rather than focusing on those who are flexible and have the cash to cruise. Did I mention ISIS and the potential threat to ships and cruising? One can easily paint a rosy or a grim picture of RCI's future.

If oil prices go up, it's not going to be the time to own airlines/cruislines....but for now...what the heck, no reason to sell. Of course not much reason to go up either if bookings are down, discounting is needed, etc.

No one should own for just the stockholder benefit unless 100 shares is a nit to your portfolio...

Edited by ghstudio

I also own CCL stock. RCL has made me money. I think I bought it at $40. I also get the dividend four times a year. It's obvious that RCL could care less about their shareholders. They know we are not happy but they don't seem to listen. I have never seen someone from RCL come on CC and explain their thinking. With all the cutbacks they have made it has made me rethink who I give my vacation money to.

It is important to understand that shareholders and customers two completely different entities. The goal of a business is to increase profits, which is what shareholders should care about. The more accurate statement is that shareholders are all Celebrity cares about, but that is not completely true, either. Absolute statements are seldom accurate.

Passengers care about the onboard experience. Cost-cutting improves the bottom line, increasing profits and making shareholders happy. When it goes too far and drives customers away, then a company will make changes to turn that around.