How does the Chef's Table on Princess compare to the Chef's Table on Carnival?

sun~

We were on the Carnival Conquest from Jan 9 -17th. We attended the Chef's Table dinner and it was absolutely top notch. Free flowing wine, beautifully prepared food, tremendous service. All was amazing.

How does it compare to the Princess Chef's Table? If I mention that I have severe food allergies, will I get turned down? On the Carnival menu, there was one item that I couldn't have, and they modified the dish. The head chef was very accommodating.

Is it in a special dining room on the Caribbean Princess?

Do you get one cookbook per person or per couple. I personally don't want one at all, I don't cook by recipe, so it is a waste for me.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

We were on the Carnival Conquest from Jan 9 -17th. We attended the Chef's Table dinner and it was absolutely top notch. Free flowing wine, beautifully prepared food, tremendous service. All was amazing.

How does it compare to the Princess Chef's Table? If I mention that I have severe food allergies, will I get turned down? On the Carnival menu, there was one item that I couldn't have, and they modified the dish. The head chef was very accommodating.

Is it in a special dining room on the Caribbean Princess?

Do you get one cookbook per person or per couple. I personally don't want one at all, I don't cook by recipe, so it is a waste for me.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

Its as good if not better.

Yes they will work with you on food issues.

No special DR except on the Royal/Regal where a special place designed when the ships were built.

1 cookbook per couple.

Its as good if not better.

Yes they will work with you on food issues.

No special DR except on the Royal/Regal where a special place designed when the ships were built.

1 cookbook per couple.

When you were at a Carnival's Chef's table, what was the difference between that experience and the Chef's Table on Princess?

Right off the bat, the one on the Conquest was in a lovely, private dining room. There was magician that came in to entertain us for a while, that was really fun.

I am sure I can give away the cookbook to someone :)

Thanks

When you were at a Carnival's Chef's table, what was the difference between that experience and the Chef's Table on Princess?

Right off the bat, the one on the Conquest was in a lovely, private dining room. There was magician that came in to entertain us for a while, that was really fun.

I am sure I can give away the cookbook to someone :)

Thanks

We did 2 (3 years ago) on Carnival and have done 7 on Princess.

The service/food/atmosphere were excellent and I think both are comparable and similar.

Remember food is very subjective. What we like the next won't.

There were no magicians and I don't need that kind of entertainment at a lavish dinner.

We have done Carnival 3 times and Princess about 8 times at least. Carnival's is good, nothing wrong with it. We like Princess better. The food seemed better. They are basically the same a kitchen tour and for appetizers. You sit in the Dinning room with Princess (Regal and Royal are different, haven't sailed on them) and you have a private dining area on Carnival. Both Cruise lines will accommodate food requests or allergies.We have been at tables with shell fish allergies, vegan and diabetes. All were served something a little different. Both serve way to much food.

We did 2 (3 years ago) on Carnival and have done 7 on Princess.

The service/food/atmosphere were excellent and I think both are comparable and similar.

Remember food is very subjective. What we like the next won't.

There were no magicians and I don't need that kind of entertainment at a lavish dinner.

The magician was absolutely fantastic! It made the evening moe special. The fellow did slight of hand, so just a perfect short break for a long meal. There was a great group, all foodies, several had done many chef's tables on several cruise lines. One fellow said that night was the best ever.

That is one of the reasons that I want to know how different it will be on the CB.

The magician was absolutely fantastic! It made the evening moe special. The fellow did slight of hand, so just a perfect short break for a long meal. There was a great group, all foodies, several had done many chef's tables on several cruise lines. One fellow said that night was the best ever.

That is one of the reasons that I want to know how different it will be on the CB.

For some reason, I think you may want to stick with Carnival. Princess is not a "fun" ship, rather a laid back, relaxing cruise line. You will definitely not find magicians or dancing waiters on Princess.

For some reason, I think you may want to stick with Carnival. Princess is not a "fun" ship, rather a laid back, relaxing cruise line. You will definitely not find magicians or dancing waiters on Princess.

That sounds a bit condescending.

Why do they charge $115 on the Regal and Royal where other Princess ships is $95. What are they offering differently?

I believe Carnival is still $75, which we've done in the past and found it quite nice in our own private room, away from dining room noises and others all around.

Once we observed a Chef's Table on Princess and was surprised it was set up right in the regular dining room. That just didn't seem quite as special, to me. A steak and lobster appeared to be the main course. That also didn't seem quite as special to me either. Yes, I admit there must have been other delicacies included in that menu but I would expect something more for the occasion than what I saw being served.

Edited by iceleven

Why do they charge $115 on the Regal and Royal where other Princess ships is $95. What are they offering differently?

I believe Carnival is still $75, which we've done in the past and found it quite nice in our own private room, away from dining room noises and others all around.

Once we observed a Chef's Table on Princess and was surprised it was set up right in the regular dining room. That just didn't seem quite as special, to me. A steak and lobster appeared to be the main course. That also didn't seem quite as special to me either. Yes, I admit there must have been other delicacies included in that menu but I would expect something more for the occasion than what I saw being served.

Because they can! Don't forget, it's an altogether different demographic....

I think Regal and Royal charge more because they made the area "special" for Chef's table. I would like to do it when we do Royal for the first time next year.

It's true that normal chef's table is in the MDR on Princess but it's a wonderful experience. My husband and I have done it twice and it has been a special part of our cruising experience. I highly recommend it. It's not for everyone though. Some people don't want to spend the money, but I think it's worth it. I do however find it's too much food. I love the galley tour, the appetizers in the galley have always been phenomenal, the one on one feel of the dinner with the Executive Chef is amazing. Everyone there is excited to be there, it's like the perfect table mates at a gathering. It's wonderful. By the time the first course comes I'm full and I struggle to eat the meat portion, which is still delicious. I love the experience it and I would do it whenever it was available to me.

As an FYI, I have been on Princess in the past. I am well aware of the vibe.

Also as an FYI, I have cruised on five different cruise lines and have far more cruises under my belt than you.

No need to give silly remarks to a genuine question.

I think Regal and Royal charge more because they made the area "special" for Chef's table. I would like to do it when we do Royal for the first time next year.

It's true that normal chef's table is in the MDR on Princess but it's a wonderful experience. My husband and I have done it twice and it has been a special part of our cruising experience. I highly recommend it. It's not for everyone though. Some people don't want to spend the money, but I think it's worth it. I do however find it's too much food. I love the galley tour, the appetizers in the galley have always been phenomenal, the one on one feel of the dinner with the Executive Chef is amazing. Everyone there is excited to be there, it's like the perfect table mates at a gathering. It's wonderful. By the time the first course comes I'm full and I struggle to eat the meat portion, which is still delicious. I love the experience it and I would do it whenever it was available to me.

Anything less than $300 per person for a chef's table tasting menu is cheap in my books. The restaurants in my area that do this special meal charge big $$. Mind you, there is usually a real sommelier who pairs the wines as well.

It sounds like the portions are large. If we do go, we will have to pace ourselves 😉

Thanks for the info!

We have done Carnival 3 times and Princess about 8 times at least. Carnival's is good, nothing wrong with it. We like Princess better. The food seemed better. They are basically the same a kitchen tour and for appetizers. You sit in the Dinning room with Princess (Regal and Royal are different, haven't sailed on them) and you have a private dining area on Carnival. Both Cruise lines will accommodate food requests or allergies.We have been at tables with shell fish allergies, vegan and diabetes. All were served something a little different. Both serve way to much food.

8 times? Now that is what I call luck. I've lost out (not selected) on two Princess cruises.....:(.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

8 times? Now that is what I call luck. I've lost out (not selected) on two Princess cruises.....:(.

Bob

We always stay in suites, (not sure if that helps) and we book as soon as we board. we have book the chefs table we have always been picked. Only once they didn't have enough people to do the chefs table. I think they want at least 8 to do it. We were on a B2B and they booked us for the next week.