Alaska May 2017 on Celebrity Solstice

binbali

Hi there, I am so excited to be doing Alaska next year and have started planning our day trips and excursions and was hoping to get some info from anyone that has done the tours that I'm asking about. Worried about the timing on some of the excursions.

VANCOUVER- I think we will do the Landsea 4hr city tour for $75 pp and they sort out and handle your luggage, we are getting off Radiance after a 12 day from Hawaii so would like to do a quick sightsea. Anyone done this tour?

KETCHIKAN 7-4 we plan on doing the Misty Fjords and Glacier Combo, Sea Plane with Island Wings which is only 2.5 hours and cost $385 pp. No worries with timing here but would love to hear any feedback on this tour as it is quiet expensive. Especially for us Australians..

JUNEAU 9-8.30 This one I am a bit worried about the timing. We want to do Marv and Harv Whale watch for 3 hrs at $180pp but it starts at 9.30 am and we only arrive at 9. Has anyone done this with a time rush and is it unrealistic? I have read so many good things about this tour and would hate to miss it.

SKAGWAY 7-6 (on a sunday ) I am unsure about which option to take here so would love some advise.

1/ Yukon Rail and Bus (with an add on mush and dog visit) with Chilkoot Tours 7.5 hrs train up bus back,smaller group good for photo stops. $368pp.

Is this too long?

2/White Pass Rail and Klondike Highway 3.5hr ship tour at $210 each, we usually avoid ship tours where possible for the price and tour size.

3/White Pass Summit Train/Bus 3.5hrs $130pp Chilkoot Tours.

The Chilkoot tours start at 7.30 so once again I am cutting it fine time wise but Im sure many people do this,how did it work out?

SITKA 7-4 Plan on just walking around exploring, no tours,unless someone has a must see or do for Sitka. Couldn't find much info on Sitka.

VICTORIA BC 12-8pm Plan on walking around, no tours here.

SEATTLE - This is where we say good bye and fly out to Buffalo for our next adventure.

Would love to hear other options or good or bad reports on any of these,we have plenty of time to swap and change our tours with 16 months to go *sigh.

SITKA 7-4 Plan on just walking around exploring, no tours,unless someone has a must see or do for Sitka. Couldn't find much info on Sitka.

1. E-mail Chilcoot & Harv&Marv about your worries re: timing. I'm guessing that since this is how they make their living that they have the timing figured out & would not offer a time that the cruise ship passengers couldn't take advantage of...

2. in Sitka, since none of your tours appear to capture bears or Eagles - maybe Fortress of the Bears & the Alaska Raptor Center. Another option - Sitka Marine Science Center. Maybe even all 3.

We've booked with Chilkoot for their Bennett Scenic Journey, leaves 7:30a, 8 hours duration, in Aug when our cruise arrives 7a.

Their website FAQ has

Do we have time to make the 7:30AM departure time?

There is ample time to disembark your cruise ship and make your way to the end of the pier. Cruise ships arrive in port approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours before their scheduled arrival time. Our local longshoremen spend about 45 minutes tying the ships up to the dock and setting the gangway in place so cruise passengers can disembark promptly at 7:00AM. We pick our passengers up right at the end of the cruise ship dock so it only takes just a few minutes to meet with us.

What happens if our ship is late arriving in Skagway?

In most cases, if your ship is late arriving in Skagway chances are that we will know it before you will. We have a local port agent and our CVB that keeps local businesses apprised of any deviations in the cruise ship schedules. We will still be there to meet you when you arrive to discuss options and alternatives so by all means make contact with us at the dock to avoid forfeiting payment. If the ship arrives too late to accommodate you on your tour we will refund you in full.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

Thank you, I have now put the Forest of the Bears and Raptor centre on my list for Sitka.

Yes i will email Harv and Marv tours before I book asking about the timing.

I thought we would be ok with the train tour as I know most people take this tour. Thank you.

Hi there, I am so excited to be doing Alaska next year and have started planning our day trips and excursions and was hoping to get some info from anyone that has done the tours that I'm asking about. Worried about the timing on some of the excursions.

VANCOUVER- I think we will do the Landsea 4hr city tour for $75 pp and they sort out and handle your luggage, we are getting off Radiance after a 12 day from Hawaii so would like to do a quick sightsea. Anyone done this tour?

KETCHIKAN 7-4 we plan on doing the Misty Fjords and Glacier Combo, Sea Plane with Island Wings which is only 2.5 hours and cost $385 pp. No worries with timing here but would love to hear any feedback on this tour as it is quiet expensive. Especially for us Australians..

JUNEAU 9-8.30 This one I am a bit worried about the timing. We want to do Marv and Harv Whale watch for 3 hrs at $180pp but it starts at 9.30 am and we only arrive at 9. Has anyone done this with a time rush and is it unrealistic? I have read so many good things about this tour and would hate to miss it.

SKAGWAY 7-6 (on a sunday ) I am unsure about which option to take here so would love some advise.

1/ Yukon Rail and Bus (with an add on mush and dog visit) with Chilkoot Tours 7.5 hrs train up bus back,smaller group good for photo stops. $368pp.

Is this too long?

2/White Pass Rail and Klondike Highway 3.5hr ship tour at $210 each, we usually avoid ship tours where possible for the price and tour size.

The Chilkoot tours start at 7.30 so once again I am cutting it fine time wise but Im sure many people do this,how did it work out?

SEATTLE - This is where we say good bye and fly out to Buffalo for our next adventure.

Would love to hear other options or good or bad reports on any of these,we have plenty of time to swap and change our tours with 16 months to go *sigh.

You should consider a couple of things in Sitka. The Russian Bishop's house, the Russian Orthodox Church, the National Park with the totems and the Alaskan Raptor Center. Plenty of time to get all that in and it is all walkable, though the raptor center is up a hill.

I've been to Sitka several times, and it is one of my favorite SE Alaska communities. I actually have been there on Alaska Day (October 18), and the entire town knows how to throw a great community party.

The Russian Bishop's House was the home of Bishop Veniaminov (later Innocent). It is operated by the National Park Service and is well worth a visit.

The Sitka National Historical Park (SNHP) is another National Park Service property. The visitor's center is excellent, as are the totems. This park is often referred to as "Totem Pole Park" by locals.

Walking to the SNHP you will pass the Sheldon Jackson Museum. Great collection and also well worth a visit.

My birdwatching husband enjoys the Raptor Center. I am not as great a birder, but I also enjoy it.

It has been over a decade since I've seen the New Archangel Dancers, and hopefully they have improved. The troop changes through the years as member drop out, but it was too touristy for my taste.

Sitka itself is located in a beautiful setting. The community has an interesting history. For example, it was the location of the transfer ceremony of Russian America to the US. Visitors will sense a strong presence of the Tlingit community, and the town is rather "arty."

And if you are looking for a pub in Victoria, we've always enjoyed the Bard & Banker. It is located on Government Street.

• 1 month later...

Hi there---

We did Marv and Harv around 6 years ago- was great- email them and hopefully it will work out for you.

For Skagway-- my first choice for this trip is also the Yukon rail and Bus with the dog cart ride, leaving at 7:30 am. According to the web site, that time will work out for getting to the train. I just emailed them to make sure that coming back to Skagway, that there is enough time to comfortably get back on the ship. My concern is also having enough restroom stops. So I am waiting to hear back from Chikloot-----

My second choice is the 3 hour ride with bus back. Celebrity has the round trip train, which we may end up doing.

For Juneau, we are hoping that Allen Marine will offer the Tracy Arm excursion-

I spoke with them and they said they won't know until June or July-- as this sailing doesn't correspond with their usual day of the week for that. My second choice then is to just do the Celebrity, Town, Tram, and Tea--

I think on our first Alaska cruise, we did the canoe by the Glacier-- It was great then, but I've gotten lazier at this point of my life (I'll be almost 62 when doing the May 2017 cruise)

Allen Marine will have the "Oh My" tour listed on Celebrity website- It includes, sea otters, the rapture facility and Fortress of the Bears. Right now Celebrity doesn't have all the excursions listed this far out. I just spoke with the Allen Marine people.

Is this too long?

Just focusing in on 2 of your stops:

In Juneau, you may want to re-think the timing. Solstice sometimes docks, sometimes tenders. If it docks, you're fine; if it tenders, you'll be cutting it close or possibly missing it.

In Skagway, I personally would opt for White Pass. Whichever one you choose though, I recommend definitely booking through the ship. The types of excursions your looking into do run late a lot of the time.

Also, if possible, you may want to look into staying an extra couple of days in Seattle. Lots to see and do there, plus it's a foodie's "paradise". :)

Re Celebrity Solstice May 17, 2017 ----

Letter assured pick up from cruise ship as soon as it docks, for the 7:30 am Yukon Rail and Bus excursion and Dog cart ride. Since it will be bus coming back shouldn't be any delays and should return around 3:15. Ship leaves dock on this trip at 6:00 PM----

Also plenty of rest room stops, just not "at Emerald Lake. The lunch stop is just a few miles from the lake, as well as Carcross, Yukon Territory where the driver makes stops."

So as soon as 2017 tours are listed, we will be doing this one for Skagway.

Not sure if it of interest to you, but Sitka has a Raptor Center & Fortress of the Bears if you want to add some Alaskan Wildlife to your list of experiences.