Rhine water levels 2016 and similar topics

notamermaid

Hello sunsetbeachgal,

the Rhine is marked with kilometre signs, counting is from its source downstream. Strasbourg is at 289, Maxau is at 362.2, the railway line bridge Germersheim is at 383.9, Speyer is at 400, Mannheim river cruise ship port is at 423.5, Mainz is at 497.5 and the UNESCO world heritage site Upper Middle Rhine valley is from 526 to 593, ... fast forward to Rotterdam which is at 1000.

Near Rüdesheim, by the way, is a "short kilometre", something "went wrong" in counting and the 500m mark is very close the kilometre sign 530. I think one can see it from a river boat, possibly needing binoculars.

Amsterdam, of course, is not on the Rhine, the city is connected to the Rhine, i.e. the Waal (one arm of the Rhine) via the "Amsterdam-Rhein-Kanal".

notamermaid

As of yesterday evening around 6pm local time, the Rhine river traffic has been halted between Iffezheim and Germersheim, as the level at Maxau reached 7.5m. No ships are allowed to sail. Speyer is downstream from there (see kilometre explanations above). The Middle Rhine valley is fine still, yet quite high.

The ban will last throughout Wednesday. Ships are predicted to be able to sail again sometime on Thursday according to the responsible authorities in Mannheim (info from local newspaper report).

More rain is forecast throughout the Upper and Middle Rhine valleys for the next three days.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Today they moved the boat from Speyer to Mannheim after we had all left for Strasbourg. Tonight at dinner they told us that everyone would disembark tomorrow morning at 8am for a long trip to the Black Forest and then be taken to hotels in Freiburg for tomorrow night. From there they will bus everyone to Basel on Friday. The staff have been amazing and tonight drinks were "on the house" after dinner. They also added a lunch in Strasbourg today. We decided to take the bus ride as we really wanted to see Strasbourg. It was one of the reasons we took this trip.

Sisnsetbeachgal, we did see a bit of Speyer before our tour to Heidelberg. As they moved the boat to Manmheim today, those that had planned to go there weren't able to.

I hope the rest of your cruise,goes well and that the cruises that follow ours are able to do their planned itineraries.

As of 10am this morning the authorities in their latest report predict that the water level at Maxau will not fall below 7.50m during the course of the morning, this means in effect that the river will stay closed in the affected section.

Next report to be published this afternoon.

There has been a lot of rain in the Frankfurt area with pictures online of water gushing into underground stations (the U-Bahn) and uprooted trees. Airport traffic in Frankfurt was even interrupted for a few hours. Areas around Lake Constance have had a lot of rain, with local flash floods. More water for the Upper Rhine valley today and tommorrow.

The Middle Rhine valley is still fine. In large sections river traffic has - for safety reasons - to go more slowly downstream.

Sondi14,

Thank you for your time reporting from your cruise.

I hope you have a great time in Strasbourg.

notamermaid

We are expected to board Avalon Tranquility II in Basel one week from Saturday - the 25 - I know conditions can change till then - but what are things looking like in Basel at this point in time. Do you think we will be able to board in Basel?? Thank you!!

notamermaid, we had a wonderful time Strasbourg. It was our favourite stop. What a lovely city - so charming. We had some excitement with a huge rain, thunder and hailstorm, but managed to see a lot of the city.

Viking told us this morning that they had to move from Mannheim, but had no idea where they were going to go. They were afraid that we'd get stuck on the boat and not be able to disembark us on Friday to get us to Basel. They had no idea at the time where the new passengers would board. There several boats stopped in Speyer and Mannheim.

Hello Treacher1,

We are expected to board Avalon Tranquility II in Basel one week from Saturday - the 25 - I know conditions can change till then - but what are things looking like in Basel at this point in time. Do you think we will be able to board in Basel?? Thank you!!

The latest report says no change to the situation as regards the closure of the river, more rain to come.

You have already hinted at the fact that river conditions can change till you embark on the 25th and every expert will agree. There are no predictions that far out, 48 hours is what authorities give as standard, four days I have read as maximum. Basel has bridges that could affect sailing before the river level is really too high for sailing. So no idea what will be in a week's time. You may experience problems in Basel. If you are flying in early it might be good to try and stay reachable for the cruise line. They may want to inform you at short notice. If in doubt phone Avalon or the ship.

I am too far away from the area to get local news reports, being in the Middle Rhine valley.

Hope all goes well.

notamermaid

P.S.: It is raining again. England has won against Wales. Only just. I hope the fans treat each other well.

Edited by notamermaid

Hello sondi14,

notamermaid, we had a wonderful time Strasbourg. It was our favourite stop. What a lovely city - so charming. We had some excitement with a huge rain, thunder and hailstorm, but managed to see a lot of the city.

Viking told us this morning that they had to move from Mannheim, but had no idea where they were going to go. They were afraid that we'd get stuck on the boat and not be able to disembark us on Friday to get us to Basel. They had no idea at the time where the new passengers would board. There several boats stopped in Speyer and Mannheim.

That is very awkward for Viking, I expect the local harbour needs to accommodate other ships meaning you have to move. There are not that many docks with the necessary amenities up river from Mannheim for large river cruise ships, I suppose seeing that you cannot go that much further upstream due to the closer. Perhaps they could raft next to a day excursion boat? I am half-joking, I have seen it done...

But I am sure they will find a solution with all the experience they have. Viking has published some amendments to their next cruises around Basel on their website.

Great to hear you enjoyed Strasbourg so much. I still have not been there, loved my land trip including Colmar some years ago but somehow did not go to Strasbourg then.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
clarification

Thanks, notamermaid. I saw that Viking has posted some of the changes in their website. We didn't get to Colmar as a result of the changes to our cruise. I am very sorry that we didn't get there as I had been looking forward to the visit. Hopefully another time.

According to a local newspaper around 100 ships (that is river cruise ships, barges,etc.) are currently stranded in the closed river section of the Rhine. The ban on sailing will remain in place at least until Monday (estimated). Due to the amount of rain that has fallen since yesterday and is likely to fall tonight and into tommorrow the water level will rise further. Prediction is for Speyer and Mannheim being affected to some extent from tommorrow, i.e. the closure might extend further downstream. At the moment it is unlikely to reach into the UNESCO world heritage site Upper Middle Rhine Valley (the castle stretch).

During the night there where flash floods around Koblenz.

The weather is forecast to improve on Monday throughout the region.

Here is an international report: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-rhine-shipping-idUSKCN0Z30XW (sorry about the ads, I get some weird ones in German, but perhaps the cookie recognition or whatever it is called gives you English ads instead).

Those travelling from the Moselle into the Main or vice versa are currently unaffected by the closure, by the way.

notamermaid

In the press release from late yesterday afternoon the authorities in Mannheim informed that due to the continued rainfall in Switzerland and the South of Germany the closure of the Rhine will be extended to Speyer, i.e. further downstream. They predict that the closure will last longer than Monday (into Tuesday or Wednesday).

notamermaid

For your info here is the Viking website with their detailed updates on current sailings: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-cruise/current-sailings.html

You will see that on the Rhine they have opted to embark/swap passengers in Worms, that is North of Speyer and Mannheim. By doing that they avoid the port of Mannheim which seems to be experiencing problems due to the water level.

Worms is an interesting town. If you do not swap, want to be adventurous and make your own way to the boat you can hop on a train in Basel BB, change at Mannheim and end your journey in Worms. A trip of under three hours.

Worms is not a regular stop on any international river cruise line. Make lemonade, here is your chance to see it: http://www.worms.de/de-wAssets/docs/tourismus/broschueren/englisch/flyer_2Jahrtausende_e.pdf

It is called a Nibelungenstadt as Worms is mentioned in the legend of the Nibelungen. You might know this from the operas of Richard Wagner.

To everyone affected: hope all goes well, have a safe journey and - under the circumstances - a great cruise.

notamermaid

No change to conditions in the Upper Rhine valley. In my area it is sunny today. Experts are predicting that the situation in the lower Middle Rhine valley and the Lower Rhine will not get critical as the Moselle and the other tributaries further North do not carry an excessive amount of water.

Temperatures are forecast to rise on Wednesday, to official "summer temperatures" of 25 degrees and more.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

We just checked in to the Mercure Hotel in Strasbourg on day 11 of our 12 day river cruise on the Tauck Inspire . . .following a two hour drive from our last docking in Gernsheim.

We had to leave the ship early since we cannot continue on to Basel. We end the "cruise" tomorrow in Lucerne after a three hour drive from here. All the good hotels in Basel are booked, so Tauck will put us up at The Palace, which should be a good finish to what has been a disappointing trip.

Tauck has done everything they can to make things as right as possible, but the weather and the river levels have played havoc with our journey. Reports we hear are that all the river ships are experiencing similar problems, many of them (like us) unable to enter the Moselle and others stuck in the upper Rhine.

Passengers seem to be quite accepting of the situation and are in good spirits. Tauck has been amazing in their ability to make alternative arrangement. Still, we are ready to head back home.

Within a week, hmm. I am hesitant but very hopeful.

This is a selection of the latest weather and shipping forecasts:

I can tell you that it will get hot and there will be less rain over the next four days. A good combination. However, local thunderstorms and scattered showers will follow the hot weather probably on Saturday or Sunday.

Be prepared for 30 degrees and above! Lovely on the water, but very difficult in a stuffy town, uphill, on cobblestones. :eek:

Latest report from the "professional water people" says that the closure on the Rhine will run into Tuesday, probably even Wednesday.

Here is an interesting website I have found: http://www.upperrhinevalley.com/en/travel-trade-planning-aid/climate-weather

It mentions 35 degrees. They might get to that on Friday down there!

We shall have 32 up here in the Middle Rhine valley.

Enjoy your travels.

notamermaid

For your info here is the Viking website with their detailed updates on current sailings: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-cruise/current-sailings.html

You will see that on the Rhine they have opted to embark/swap passengers in Worms, that is North of Speyer and Mannheim. By doing that they avoid the port of Mannheim which seems to be experiencing problems due to the water level.

Worms is an interesting town. If you do not swap, want to be adventurous and make your own way to the boat you can hop on a train in Basel BB, change at Mannheim and end your journey in Worms. A trip of under three hours.

Worms is not a regular stop on any international river cruise line. Make lemonade, here is your chance to see it: http://www.worms.de/de-wAssets/docs/tourismus/broschueren/englisch/flyer_2Jahrtausende_e.pdf

It is called a Nibelungenstadt as Worms is mentioned in the legend of the Nibelungen. You might know this from the operas of Richard Wagner.

To everyone affected: hope all goes well, have a safe journey and - under the circumstances - a great cruise.

notamermaid

Thank you for all the information you've provided. I especially appreciate the link to the Viking Update page.

Thank you for all the information you've provided. I especially appreciate the link to the Viking Update page.

Thank you. My pleasure.

I am afraid to say that the local news (TV station based in Mainz) reported last night that the Rhine will be closed even longer. Currently the ban is from Iffezheim to Mannheim-Rheinau (an area upstream of Mannheim city centre). The two stations at Maxau and Speyer (flood mark 2 right now) are the basis for the ban.

As Lake Constance is very high more water is to come, the ban (at least at Maxau) could run into early Thursday.

River traffic is still slowed down between Mannheim-Rheinau and Cologne. Flood mark 1 necessitates this speed restriction. I am not sure by how much this slows down your average journey time for that river stretch.

Spartantartan,

you asked about it being back to normal within a week... I am less hopeful now, but at least the ban could be lifted. It would still mean slower traffic in some parts and possibly some changes to an itinerary where a low bridge is involved.

Here is a photo taken from the news report I have quoted from: http://www.swr.de/landesschau-aktuell/rp/bildergalerie/-/id=13831106/did=13831192/gp1=17628472/gp2=17637044/nid=13831106/vv=gallery/1hdjzpf/index.html

You can see the "traffic jam" of ships being stuck in Iffezheim.

If in doubt, especially if you have your own pre-cruise itinerary, always contact your cruise line.

notamermaid

notamermaid, as usual, I am extremely appreciative of your reports, and the photos certainly do tell a story. Yesterday I spoke with a rep from Globus/Avalon who said that they were cautiously hopeful but that conditions can change within a hour.

A friend of my me just returned from a Viking cruise on the Rhine where she had to change ships midway through the cruise, spend lots of time on a bus and deal with daily rain. Such is the nature of river cruising, but I hope our trip will proceed as planned.

We are set to arrive in Zurich Thursday eve and are signed up for a trip to Liechtenstein on Friday. We will most likely go to Luzern on Saturday but will skip the tour that takes us on the aerial tram and cogwheel train up Mt. Riga as the weather forecast doesn't bode well for good views. We are scheduled to embark our ship on Sunday. Meanwhile I will think positive thoughts and look forward to more of your reports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you all,

and this morning I can report tentatively good news. Speyer has returned to flood mark one, which is admittedly unimportant for unimpeded cruising at the moment as Maxau is still at flood mark II and the river closed in that section. It means, though, that the river level has fallen important centimetres and it is looking promising for lifting the ban - Maxau falling to flood mark I that is - some time tommorrow.

The big BUT is: there is more water to come from the still high Lake Constance and there will be some amount of rain at the weekend. The river level will fall slowly and hopefully not rise again too much.

Currently all stations downstream from Mannheim to Cologne are still at flood mark I but that is likely to change, the river level is falling here as well. Koblenz "has lost" 22 centimetres in 24 hours. That is promising.

If the ban is lifted tommorrow it still means that there could be a problem with a low bridge somewhere but that is a localized event I would not be able to report about.

notamermaid