WOW! Booze is expensive on RCI???

ve2dx

Trinity Brewhouse in Providence, Rhode Island. Not even a thimble of commercial grade beers in the house and my buddy whilst staring at their beer menu orders a Bud. Waiter says they have no Bud. Buddy ask for Bud Light. Oh the humanity!

Anyway, last I checked Budweiser is brewed with water, barley malt, rice, yeast, and hops. If that's not beer, I'm not sure what is. You can't even complain that they use corn syrup...hello Miller-Coors.

So i logged into my cruise planner to check the alcohol drink packages and they are not listed. The only options are the 3 non-alcohol packages. I looked previously and all of the packages were there. They still have a comparison link that shows what comes in every package but no way to pull up or add to cart a beverage package that includes alcohol.

Could they be changing the packages or prices currently?

Maybe there is a website problem, because this is the second report I've seen today describing an issue with ordering alcoholic drink packages on the website.

Just looked up the Ultimate Beverage package for our 5 day March cruise on Brilliance: PRICES STARTING FROM*

$69.62 USD Adult per day

Think I will pass.

Will use my $100 obc, 2 bottles of carry-on wine, 2 4 $15 specials of the day that someone just mentioned.

Will take my hikers water bottle and fill up at the buffet before going to port.

Anyone know what a bucket of local beer costs?

We only drink Pepsi products, and on other cruise lines you can take your on soda on board with you, I assume RCL is the same?

Edited by Sir_Randy

... We only drink Pepsi products, and on other cruise lines you can take your on soda on board with you, I assume RCL is the same?

Royal's rules prohibit taking on any beverages other than two 750ml bottles of wine. However, they typically don't enforce the rule in the case of water and soda.

Just looked up the Ultimate Beverage package for our 5 day March cruise on Brilliance: PRICES STARTING FROM*

$69.62 USD Adult per day

Think I will pass.

Will use my $100 obc, 2 bottles of carry-on wine, 2 4 $15 specials of the day that someone just mentioned.

Will take my hikers water bottle and fill up at the buffet before going to port.

Anyone know what a bucket of local beer costs?

We only drink Pepsi products, and on other cruise lines you can take your on soda on board with you, I assume RCL is the same?

Correction: $57.82 p/p p/d

" I have heard some issues with RC and getting only one glass in the MDR and no one came to see if they wanted another one or two or three."

This is exactly what happened on our last cruise. If I'm buying a package it's because I plan to have a few drinks over dinner. One glass of wine when I am first seated will not last the entire meal.

It's impossible to get more than one drink at dinner, they're just too busy. You either have to bring your own or run to the nearest bar, that's usually what I do.

Last time on the FOS my assistant waiter got mad at me for doing that which was bizarre, to say the least.

When I booked last year, they had a special, one drink package (premium) and the second for free so it's more reasonable.

Unfortunately with so many getting the packages it's not easy to get a drink anymore.

The most expensive drinks I ever saw were in Las Vegas at the Beatles show. I had a buy one get one free, ordered 2 glasses of (low end) wine, and the bartender said $22. I said, no I have a BOGO, and he said, yes I know, it's $22 EACH. Needless to say I went to bed quite sober.

I wonder how long until someone brings up rum runners?

Edited by DrD

So, getting down to the nitty gritty. I got the RR package because I'm a drinker, cabin mate (sister) isn't, and no way I can drink enough for two packages. So, I have 5 questions, wondering if anyone can help with them:

1. Do they serve Corona?

2. Do they serve Hairy Navels?

3. We have a buddy going with us that is a single (non drinker). Is there any way to have him purchase the drink package, and when we order our drinks, we switch?

4. One post mentioned he got a package so he wouldn't have to sign for everything (I got a RR last time and still had to sign for everything, has this changed?)

5. Anyone know where to locate a 5 night Cruise Compass for IOS?

Thanks in advance!

So, getting down to the nitty gritty. I got the RR package because I'm a drinker, cabin mate (sister) isn't, and no way I can drink enough for two packages. So, I have 5 questions, wondering if anyone can help with them:

1. Do they serve Corona?

3. We have a buddy going with us that is a single (non drinker). Is there any way to have him purchase the drink package, and when we order our drinks, we switch?

4. One post mentioned he got a package so he wouldn't have to sign for everything (I got a RR last time and still had to sign for everything, has this changed?)

Thanks in advance!

They serve Corona.

The requirement to sign varies greatly, I've not seen a pattern to it.

1. Do they serve Corona?

Thanks in advance!

Do they make you buy 2 packages per cabin? For awhile you could just buy one I'm pretty sure.

Also I heard if one passenger has a medical reason they can't drink you can get around the 2 per cabin rule, but that may be an urban legend.

Do they make you buy 2 packages per cabin? For awhile you could just buy one I'm pretty sure.

Also I heard if one passenger has a medical reason they can't drink you can get around the 2 per cabin rule, but that may be an urban legend.

Royal does not require all guests in a stateroom to purchase a package.

It's impossible to get more than one drink at dinner, they're just too busy. You either have to bring your own or run to the nearest bar, that's usually what I do.

Last time on the FOS my assistant waiter got mad at me for doing that which was bizarre, to say the least.

That is the kind of thing that would impact gratuities.

It sure would!

When I booked last year, they had a special, one drink package (premium) and the second for free so it's more reasonable.

Unfortunately with so many getting the packages it's not easy to get a drink anymore.

The most expensive drinks I ever saw were in Las Vegas at the Beatles show. I had a buy one get one free, ordered 2 glasses of (low end) wine, and the bartender said $22. I said, no I have a BOGO, and he said, yes I know, it's $22 EACH. Needless to say I went to bed quite sober.

I wonder how long until someone brings up rum runners?

Had no problem getting a 2nd drink every night on Jewel. In fact, our waiter always asked if we wanted a third as we were getting our deserts.:D

Agree with getting drinks at the MDR. I've taken to establishing myself at the very beginning. Introduce myself, tell the bartender we want serviced often and when doing this, I make sure that the Waiter hears the conversation. It's worked every cruise!

Also while some are discussing the costs of drinks elsewhere besides a Cruise Ship, I'd like to point out that our local Chilis serves up a Presidential Margarita for $10.50. I'm willing to think that your local Chilis is doing the same +/- .50

I drink more on a ship than I ever do at home and I'm on a ship only while vacationing. So I budget accordingly and enjoy the time & money spent.

Oh it did, but I'm a generous soul, so he just didn't get the extra $20-$40 I usually give on top of the auto. But I left the auto in place. I hate waiting on line.

I've had trouble getting drinks in the dining room. On Allure, we started buying drinks at the little bar just outside the dining room just before going in. The asst m'd would always suggest we buy drinks in the dr until by about the 5th night she finally gave up.

We have a taproom which has 40 craft beers on tap. On their beer menu they include Coors. The description? "Watery, no flavor, very light body". Do people still order it? Yep!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There's a new higher end pizza and beer place near me. They have TV monitors that show all of their craft beer options, with a brief description, and a picture of a keg with a level line in it showing how much beer is left in that keg. Across the bottom, they list what beer is next on tap. All that said, they always have PBR on tap for $2. :D

Last cruise on Freedom we had no problem getting seconds on drinks in the MDR (with package). YMMV

I'm always curious about why these drink price threads get people so cranked up. They way I see it, you fit into one of 3 groups:

1. You don't drink much alcohol (or even none at all) on a cruise so prices don't matter
  2. You drink lots on a cruise so the package is a reasonable (and maybe even a good) deal
  3. You drink a little bit but not enough to justify the package.

Group 3 is the only group that should really care about the prices and given the relatively few drinks that they would have throughout the cruise, they may pay an extra $50(??) in drinks for the week from higher prices. As someone else noted, factor this into the cost of the cruise, order drinks when you're thirsty, and enjoy your cruise!

Once you get on board, you can check with the wine bar. They are bringing back the wine packages but they are only sold in the wine bar. You have to ask.

I really hope you are correct! I just spoke with RCCL last night about the wine packages and they said none were available at all, nada.

Cruises are a good lifestyle for alcoholics and the Packages suit them well.

Personally I have a problem with the fact that the packages encourage you to drink every day and at quite a high level to justify the prices.

We decided to just take the two bottles of wine and buy drinks if we wanted them. We never actually wanted any at the inflated prices, so the account was empty. Did not miss it at all. If the prices were reasonable we may have had the occasional drink. Did meet quite a few people who could not survive without drinking. Lots of drunks in the lifts sharing their boozy breath with all around. The amount of alcohol abuse is what puts me off going on another cruise.

Cruises are a good lifestyle for alcoholics and the Packages suit them well.

Personally I have a problem with the fact that the packages encourage you to drink every day and at quite a high level to justify the prices.

We decided to just take the two bottles of wine and buy drinks if we wanted them. We never actually wanted any at the inflated prices, so the account was empty. Did not miss it at all. If the prices were reasonable we may have had the occasional drink. Did meet quite a few people who could not survive without drinking. Lots of drunks in the lifts sharing their boozy breath with all around. The amount of alcohol abuse is what puts me off going on another cruise.

I agree. You have to drink an awfully lot to make the package worthwhile.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Lots of drunks in the lifts sharing their boozy breath with all around. The amount of alcohol abuse is what puts me off going on another cruise.

We had a few interesting encounters on our two last cruises. On the first one 4 young idiots decided to start throwing deck chairs overboard late at night, and then got into a scuffle with a bartender. Needless to say, they won top prize in their category, which was priority disembarkation the following morning before everyone else could get off. :)

Then during the last one almost daily "encounters" at the Starlight as youngsters once again could not handle their drink and behave properly under the influence. Not sure how many were given VIP disembarkation, but I knew of a lot who had their drinks packages revoked (and according to the bartender those don't get refunded... ouch!).