Bringing wine aboard at embarkation?

Captain Vancouver

Guests should be made aware that any bottles that are taken through security are subject to being searched. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol, with the exception of the 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

Soooo according to your post size doesn't matter (750Ml - 1.5 Ml)?

Soooo according to your post size doesn't matter (750Ml - 1.5 Ml)?

Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

I don't think X has to provide the size in every post. :)

Ugh.

So how many of you bring your own corkscrew and enjoy in your cabin only?

Absolutely, also learned the hard way when we didn't, enjoy a glass on the balcony.

Saw response to my question on wine brought on from a port stop, didn't answer it, the policy stated is for embarkation only, can't find something on visiting a European port and getting back on Ship before leaving and bringing a bottle back of a local wine -- anyone?

Made a bottle size mistake one time on embarkation and you thought we had a weapon or bomb, security went nuts!!!! Maybe they get commission or bonus for finding policy breakers -- like to think they worry about more serious stuff being checked on embarkation too!

I bought a lot of rum and tequilla in Caribbean ports and mexico and would voluntarily hand it over for storage when we re-entered the ship. They give it back the last day. We plan on buying wine and limoncello in Italy to take back to the states too.

Shertwo, you can't find a policy dealing specifically with European ports because there isn't one.

The policy statement is that you are allowed two bottles of wine per stateroom on embarkation day, no other day, no other port, no other place.

As noted, it isn't always enforced in Europe. Yours might be taken from you or it might not and you won't know ahead of time which situation might be in place until you are there.

Guests should be made aware that any bottles that are taken through security are subject to being searched. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol, with the exception of the 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

You just know this was posted by a group of X interns half smashed at a bar laughing at the thread.

To be honest if you have the beverage packages and we just got off the constellation save your energy. We had zero issues getting drinks anywhere on the ship whether is be by pool,in MDR,martini bar,sunset bar. More high quality booze than you Would ever want...they have a lot of higher end liquors. Their call whiskey was Crown Royal and vodka was absolute vodka.it went up from there.

Premium coffees are included as well.

I guess if you drink some super duper high end wines and booze they may not have it. They had everything we ever wanted...

Actually, for us, it's not about the quality of the wine - the bottles we bring onboard are only about $12-15 retail each. We've just find that it can be difficult to get a glass of wine in MDR when they're very busy. Last year on the Constellation, we waited 20-30 min the first couple of nights for just 1 glass and found it almost impossible to get another for rest of meal. I'm not one to make a fuss over these types of issues - it's minor to me, especially when rest of cruise was so wonderful. We just poured ourselves a glass to take with us to dinner each night. But I was glad we brought the bottles onboard.

Thank you for cutting / pasting the official position from the X web site.

You do not sound very sincere, but cutting and pasting the official position seems like an appropriate way to answer the OP's question IMO. Which was "Can someone clarify for me the rules on bringing wine aboard at embarkation. Are my wife and I permitted 2 bottles of wine?"

I know everyone experiences different service on a cruise. Wow 20 minutes for a drink in the MDR? We ate all but one night in MDR on a 9 night cruise. Every single night there was never an issue to get a cocktail or wine in a few minutes. It seemed we just sat down and they were there for a drink order..

Not every cruise is the same . Really sorry you had to wait that long...

You do not sound very sincere, but cutting and pasting the official position seems like an appropriate way to answer the OP's question IMO. Which was "Can someone clarify for me the rules on bringing wine aboard at embarkation. Are my wife and I permitted 2 bottles of wine?"

On the other hand, the same cut and paste was provided in post 19, so there was no value added by repeating it. I suspect that ChucktownSteve, like many other posters, would like to see less in the way of information taken from the Celebrity website, which we can all read for ourselves, and a bit more substance contributed to the discussions.

Edited by Fouremco

On the other hand, the same cut and paste was provided in post 19, so there was no value added by repeating it. I suspect that ChucktownSteve, like many other posters, would like to see less in the way of information taken from the Celebrity website, which we can all read for ourselves, and a bit more substance contributed to the discussions.

I suspect the current rendition of Celebrity Cruises fears being fired if they go off script and show any semblance of free thinking. I wonder if that's what happened to the previous inhibitor of the handle.

Nobody shall speak unlike the official legalese wording on the web site under penalty.

I know everyone experiences different service on a cruise. Wow 20 minutes for a drink in the MDR? We ate all but one night in MDR on a 9 night cruise. Every single night there was never an issue to get a cocktail or wine in a few minutes. It seemed we just sat down and they were there for a drink order..Not every cruise is the same . Really sorry you had to wait that long...

Appreciate your note - but it truly wasn't that big a deal to us. We were just happy to have the 2 bottles as backup! We really loved our cruise overall. But I will say it was not easy getting drinks at any of the bars...seemed like too few bartenders working hard to serve a lot of people. (This was right around the time they started including drink packages as part of cruise fare a lot more often - I don't think they were staffed up at the time to handle it.)

It was rare that anyone approached us offering to take drink orders at the pool or while we were in the buffet- we'd always have to walk to the nearest bar and wait in line. My favorite spot was the Sunset bar - but any time we ordered a blended/frozen drink on that cruise, we received annoyed looks and grumbles from one unhappy bartender in particular, because I guess they weren't supplied with the same equipment the pool bars had to make the frozen concoctions. So the blended/frozen drinks took longer to make, which frustrated them. Or at least that's what they complained about to my husband. We even tipped a little extra and it didn't help their attitude. So DH walked to pool bar, got frozen ones and brought back to Sunset bar for me.

That was a shorter 5-day Western Caribbean Constellation - so maybe that was the reason. (But it was early Feb: no spring breakers, older crowd.)

We're on the Silo next week - perhaps it'll be a bit smoother this time. But I'm definitely packing our two reds! :D

On our last two Celebrity cruises I also noticed the bartenders were either indifferent or made it seem they were overworked. More of the former IMO because there was a lot of side work being done when customers were lined up for drinks.

Either way it was amplified at the Martini bar and pool bars.