Zica /bug repellent?

cwbabe48

Just like with the other "scary" mosquitos, the higher the DEET % in a product, the best preventative. Stronger ones can be found in camping/outdoor departments. Or look at "deep woods" sprays. Unless you are out and about at dusk or later, they shouldn't be a bother. Good to take proactive moves tho.

Edited by eandj

Unless you are out and about at dusk or later, they shouldn't be a bother.

Nope! Here's a quote from Wiki on the aedes aegypti mosquito...'Although Aedes aegypti mosquitoes most commonly bite at dusk and dawn, indoors, in shady areas, or when the weather is cloudy, "they can bite and spread infection all year long and at any time of day."'

It is borne by mosquitoes! Just wondering why you are so concerned? 80% have no symptoms at all and the other 20% have symptoms of a very very mild flu.

Are you going to use mosquito repellent at home starting by 2017 or 2018? If you live in the USA it is expected that Zika will be in every country in the Americas except Chile and Canada by then. Seems better to get it and be over dealing with Zika to me. just my 2 cents.

Yes, however if you get it you can transmit the Zika virus by way of a mosquito biting you then biting another person. The real people at risk are pregnant women who's children can be born with microencephaly (small head). The best protection is to use a bug repellant with deet to protect yourself and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is from a recent Consumer Reports article on the Zika Virus

Consumer Reports' recent tests of insect repellents found that the most effective product, Sawyer Fishermen's Formula with 20 percent picaridin, was also one of the safest, helping to keep away Aedes mosquitoes—the same type that transmit Zika—for at least 8 hours. Off Deepwoods VIII with 25 percent deet also kept Aedes mosquitoes at bay for 8 hours. Our tests showed that repellents containing natural plant oils, such as citronella and lemongrass, did not work against mosquitoes.

For those of us outside of child bearing years, Zika is less of a concern than Chikungunya but mosquito repellant is a great idea in general.

Unfortunately smell free repellants are not generally effective.

DEET repellants are recommended by the CDC with the side effects of DEET being the lesser of two evils.

For those of us outside of child bearing years, Zika is less of a concern than Chikungunya but mosquito repellant is a great idea in general.

Unfortunately smell free repellants are not generally effective.

DEET repellants are recommended by the CDC with the side effects of DEET being the lesser of two evils.

Before going to applying DEET repellents daily one should read the CDC report on the side effects with include skin rashes, insomnia, disorientation. It also must be applied every 3-4 hours. Last it will stain and actually "disloves may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics."

Does this make sense for the general public for a disease that causes symptoms similar to a mild flu in 20% of those infected? When Zika gets to the US next year are we going to slather on DEET to or there times a day?

Agree that DEET based insecticides are effective and they have a pungent odor.

I think whether one uses an insect spray or not on the cruise depends on what you will be doing off the ship. Going to the beach where the ocean breeze will keep the bugs away, or strolling around the shopping area? Probably overkill to spray every day. Going on a hike into a rainforest? Quite another situation and I think one would be careless not to spray.

I will second the suggestion on this thread to use Picaridin-based sprays but be sure to get the products with at least 20% active ingredient.

This is about as effective as high concentrations of DEET but is much safer according to EPA pesticide evaluation reports when this stuff was approved.

Before going to applying DEET repellents daily one should read the CDC report on the side effects with include skin rashes, insomnia, disorientation. It also must be applied every 3-4 hours. Last it will stain and actually "disloves may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics."

Does this make sense for the general public for a disease that causes symptoms similar to a mild flu in 20% of those infected? When Zika gets to the US next year are we going to slather on DEET to or there times a day?

Agree that DEET based insecticides are effective and they have a pungent odor.

I don't mean to sound critical, but you are are coming across as dismissive of people's real concerns. The greatest danger is to pregnant women, but also, secondarily, to those who have compromised immune and respiratory systems. For those two groups and possibly others, it makes sense to take precautions. Today the World Health Organization said it was an international emergency. Better to be safe than sorry while out and about in the infected areas.

Heres my take on the whole deal.

We are on a 10 ten day in the end of March.

My drink of preference is Quality Tequila.

We have the classic package.so ill stay imunized with Tequila thru out the cruise and the way i see it i'll start a new virus ZIKUILA. This will send the Squitos wobbling into the sea.

I don't mean to sound critical, but you are are coming across as dismissive of people's real concerns. The greatest danger is to pregnant women, but also, secondarily, to those who have compromised immune and respiratory systems. For those two groups and possibly others, it makes sense to take precautions. Today the World Health Organization said it was an international emergency. Better to be safe than sorry while out and about in the infected areas.

You raise good and valid points. However, DEET is a neurotoxic chemical as the poster suggested and side effects such as disorientation can result from excessive use and absorption into skin.

Using an effective insect repellent is important as you indicate; so why not use one that is both effective and produces less toxicity? Picaridin 20+% was my suggestion based on data submitted to the EPA Pesticide Program when it was approved for efficacy and low degree of toxicity.

I'm a fan of OFF Smooth & Dry, it's not quite as high a DEET amount as the Deep Woods OFF , but seems to work fine at the lakeside summer camp. It dries to the touch, and has a more pleasant smell than DWO (but is not a "No Smell" variety).

I also like to carry some individually packed DWO wipes - they're great to stash in a toiletry bag/purse/beach bag just to make sure you've got some extra bug repellant in a pinch.

I travel in Asia each year, Malarial areas and therefore future Zika areas (also Dengue areas sometimes). The best protection is a long sleeve light weight light coloured shirt. If it is loose you don't feel any hotter than without. I do use Deet product (Australian and super strong%) during the day when in mosquito areas if not wearing my shirt, and for face and feet and hands. This way I take no preventative medication and stay safe. About to cruise to Vietnam and Thailand and will do the same.

We just returned from a cruise on Celebrity and we saw mosquitos in the shops in Phillipsburg, St Maartin during the day.

Yes I think one of the real issues with these new viruses is that the strain of mosquitos that carry them don't act the way we expect mosquitos to act. They're active during the day and they love shady areas where people are so they're much more likely to be in buildings than the forests.

Also thanks OBX-Cruisers, I hadn't researched new options in quite some time and thanks to your post I've been doing some reading on Picaridin and I'll definitely be looking for an option that uses it. And from the sounds of the paragraph I've included below it meets the OP's requests fully!

Studies have shown picaridin to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes. Unlike DEET, however, picaridin is odorless, non-greasy, and does not dissolve plastics or other synthetics. The one possible concern with picaridin is its relative newness. Insufficient time has passed for long-term health risks (should they exist) to manifest themselves. A limited, but growing, number of repellents contain picaridin, including Cutter Advanced, Sawyer Premium, and Repel Smart Spray.

If you visit a Big Box sporting goods store like Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, sports Authority, most of them carry clothing that has bug protection built into the fabric.

I just posted in another thread, that there is a lot more info coming out on the virus. like getting it from Salvia and other bodily fluids.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it would not stop me from doing a cruise, but I would be more cautious on the activities/tours I would do.