Zica /bug repellent?

cwbabe48

This is from a recent Consumer Reports article on the Zika Virus

Consumer Reports' recent tests of insect repellents found that the most effective product, Sawyer Fishermen's Formula with 20 percent picaridin, was also one of the safest, helping to keep away Aedes mosquitoes—the same type that transmit Zika—for at least 8 hours. Off Deepwoods VIII with 25 percent deet also kept Aedes mosquitoes at bay for 8 hours. Our tests showed that repellents containing natural plant oils, such as citronella and lemongrass, did not work against mosquitoes.

Thank you..I use the deepwoods but will look for the Sawyer product,..I am a mosquito magnet and feel that using the repellant is important as a precaution.,

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/health/other-health/ouch-inside-an-insect-repellent-test-lab/16601921001/4

Not sure if non Consumer Reports members can see this video or not- the actual results are probably available only to subscribers. I have posted more details about the two products on the other thread about pregnancy and Zika.

As an earlier poster said here- the only two products CR tested found to be highly effective are Sawyer 20% Picaridin and Off Deep Woods dry- light green can 25% DEET.

Natural products were also tested and the results are plain to see: NOT effective.

If worried about DEET side effects, the consensus seems to be go with Picaridin.

LOL don't listen to the Roatan natives (or Cactus Juice manufacturers) ! That stuff doesn't work- we've tried it in Roatan where they have many insect related diseases including Malaria and Dengue.

But don't take my word for it- access the test results and see for yourself.

• 1 year later...

Dang, why worry be happy, we live in Florida and do not worry much about it. You did not say if you had tours off the ship or if, were they might take you. Shopping, you might be lucky if you see a mosquito but if in the jungle MAYBE.

Dang, why worry be happy, we live in Florida and do not worry much about it. You did not say if you had tours off the ship or if, were they might take you. Shopping, you might be lucky if you see a mosquito but if in the jungle MAYBE.

Guess you haven't been to Belize, Costa Rica, San Juan, etc...

I brought something with DEET and used it on a prior cruise when going into the interior of Jamaica but not on a recent cruise. I am a mosquito magnet and did not see one at any of the ports we visited. Frankly, I was surprised. I did see some people with special long sleeved clothing but they were a very small minority.

It is borne by mosquitoes! Just wondering why you are so concerned? 80% have no symptoms at all and the other 20% have symptoms of a very very mild flu.

Seems better to get it and be over dealing with Zika to me. just my 2 cents.

Does this make sense for the general public for a disease that causes symptoms similar to a mild flu in 20% of those infected? When Zika gets to the US next year are we going to slather on DEET to or there times a day?

Zika can also cause (in a small number of cases) Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Per the CDC:

Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is an uncommon sickness of the nervous system in which a person’s own immune system damages the nerve cells, causing muscle weakness, and sometimes, paralysis.

• Several countries that have experienced Zika outbreaks recently have reported increases in people who have Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).
  • Current CDC research suggests that GBS is strongly associated with Zika; however, only a small proportion of people with recent Zika virus infection get GBS.

So, do you want to risk being in that small number of Zika patients who end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life? Or do you believe that "it can't happen to me?"