Megan's Bay Excursion or Not

ldgiff

Looks like Celebrity charges $38 for transportation to and from Megan's Bay. Has anyone done this excursion? Does it cover $4 to get onto Megan's Bay and a chair? Do it think it is cheaper to take a taxi and pay on your own? I need some help here please. Been to St Thomas many times, but always find an excuse not to go to Megan's Bay. I'm doing it this time(March)!!

Suggest you do two things. First is to go to the Roll call for your cruise. You should find lots of opinions there. Second is to go a bit down the page from where you clicked on Celebrity Cruises and go to ports. There are literally thousands of posts already there on posts including St, Thomas.

FWIW - on our upcoming cruise with 5 ports there are some 9 private tours (all about 1/2 the cost of one from the crusie line) averaging 40 participants on each tour. On a prior cruise organized a group in Ketchikan going to Totem Bight park at a cost of $1USD each! instead of $46 for the ship's tour.

Looks like Celebrity charges $38 for transportation to and from Megan's Bay. Has anyone done this excursion? Does it cover $4 to get onto Megan's Bay and a chair? Do it think it is cheaper to take a taxi and pay on your own? I need some help here please. Been to St Thomas many times, but always find an excuse not to go to Megan's Bay. I'm doing it this time(March)!!

Each time I've been to St. Thomas, I just grab a cab. it's nowhere near $38, that's ridiculous. $10, maybe $12? which includes entrance. It does not include a chair, just bring a towel from the ship. There are plenty of cabs at the beach, no problem getting one back to the pier.

Each time I've been to St. Thomas, I just grab a cab. it's nowhere near $38, that's ridiculous. $10, maybe $12? which includes entrance. It does not include a chair, just bring a towel from the ship. There are plenty of cabs at the beach, no problem getting one back to the pier.

This. Very simple to get to Megans Bay. And if you want a chair, they aren't expensive, but we have never bothered. When you are ready to leave there will be plenty of 'taxis' waiting to take you back to Charlotte Amalie or the cruise ports. Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back as traffic gets crazy the hour before the ships start leaving.

Edited by K&RCurt

So yes, you can pay the cruise line excursion fee. Or you can simply walk off the ship (just like with a tour) and over to the taxi queue and join a group taxi to Magans Bay for around $8 per person. Both the tour and taxi take you to the same place in about the same amount of time (although you might wait longer for the tour transportation). The choice is yours.

Hank

Just back from St. Thomas on Summit and shared taxi to Magen's Bay was quick and easy to get and $8 per person each way. $4 per person entry fee. We rented float mats instead of chairs for $8 each which were great for the beach as well and plenty of shade was available for free under the trees along the shore. They do take a $10 deposit for each item rented. If you want to get away from the crowds right at the entrance the young men working there will carry your chairs or mats down the beach for tips. We enjoyed a very relaxing day and quickly got a taxi back to the port when we were ready to leave. Use the money you save by skipping the ships tour to have a tasty rum punch or BBC!

Price of Drink and Food at Megan Bay (last week). Enjoy!

24297348470_d5847d38ab_k.jpgMegan Bay Beach, St. Thomas, USVI by patrioteqc

24566728066_c0b2603402_k.jpgMegan Bay Beach, St. Thomas, USVI by patrioteqc

The grilled cheese is a favorite in our family!

food is general good and there's a nice tavern as well as a picnic area neart the parking lot

we took the excursion...easier for us and we got a head start on the later crowds

chair rental was 2 steps...pay inside the store, then give ticket to lounger staff...they carry them to your spot..somewhat slow and inefficient...

Beautiful beach ,water and views...esp if you get there early or on a slower port day!