Airport to train station

funtimex2

I'm trying to get things in place for our cruise in May. We are arriving 4 days before our cruise and have plans for a rental car. At this time we are going to head down to Seward on Thursday to spend the night. I need suggestions on how to manage dropping off the rental and getting 5 people and luggage to the train station for our 6:45am departure. The rental needs to be dropped off at the airport and from what I understand their is not a shuttle to the train station.

I'm trying to get things in place for our cruise in May. We are arriving 4 days before our cruise and have plans for a rental car. At this time we are going to head down to Seward on Thursday to spend the night. I need suggestions on how to manage dropping off the rental and getting 5 people and luggage to the train station for our 6:45am departure. The rental needs to be dropped off at the airport and from what I understand their is not a shuttle to the train station.

You'll have to take a taxi to the train station from the Airport. Or you could also see if your rental company has an location downtown that you could drop at. Then you'd have a walk or a short taxi ride to the train station.

If it was me, I'd drop the luggage and extra people off at the train station early then return the rental car.

I assume you're overnighting in Anchorage prior to catching the train ??

Check with the vendor to see if there's a charge for dropping the car downtown instead. A cab from the airport will run about $35 so maybe the drop off fee would be close to a wash. You could drop your pax at the hotel, then drop the car downtown or airport, then take a cab back.

Most downtown offices close at 5pm and won't be open at 6am for the dropoff, so are you ok with leaving the car after-hours and not being present for the final inspection? I've done it without a problem but that's me.

Making an assumption that you are staying in Anchorage the night before the train. The best thing is to take the car back to the airport the night before and simply get a cab from your hotel to the train station. That is what wee do every time and it works out well. Doing anything prior to the train in the morning will be very problematic as far as time is concerned.

Edited by zqvol

We will be staying at the military base hotel, so there is lots of thinking to be done to put everything in place......... would it work if we dropped the luggage and everyone off at the train station and then returned the van and the driver could take a taxi back. Not sure what amount of time would be needed to safely do this.

We will be staying at the military base hotel, so there is lots of thinking to be done to put everything in place......... would it work if we dropped the luggage and everyone off at the train station and then returned the van and the driver could take a taxi back. Not sure what amount of time would be needed to safely do this.

You'll need to consider this plan needs a 2 hour window. I'd be dropping people off at 4:45a, with the depot probably not open, or baggage accepted. I'd also be looking for a rental vendor that would be open for the return. You are taking a lot of risk, if you just drop off a car, without checking it back in.

Edited by Budget Queen

if it was me, I'd drop off the pax at your hotel the night before, drop the car off also, then taxi back to the hotel. You have such an early morning as it is so why add anything more to the mix.... everyone can take a cab in the morning direct to the train depot without any other worries or possible delays.

Like Glaciers I find the details a little muddled. But instead of staying at the transit/guest housing at JBER that final night would the group be amenable to just returning the car the night before the departure for Seward, and then stay at a hotel off post (but near the train station) for that final night in Anchorage?

Problem solved.... I call to see what time Alaska Train depot opened and was told 5:15am. Then I called Avis at the Anchorage Airport and told her what I was trying to do and she amended the confirmation to meet my dates and times in addition to changing the drop off to be downtown and it didn't change my already great rate rental rate on the van. That's what I call customer service. :)

Edited by funtimex2

Problem solved.... I call to see what time Alaska Train depot opened and was told 5:15am. Then I called Avis at the Anchorage Airport and told her what I was trying to do and she amended the confirmation to meet my dates and times in addition to changing the drop off to be downtown and it didn't change my already great rate rental rate on the van. That's what I call customer service. :)

Although this is convenient, you are taking a risk and will be responsible for that car, until it is accepted back into stock.