Solo Dining Question/Escape

bon91324

I am a solo traveler and wondered how hard it would be to eat in the speciality (pay) restaurants without a reservation?

Better to have a reservation. As a solo diner, you will take a two-top or four-top table (same as a couple), so there is no advantage to being a solo diner.

I am a solo traveler and wondered how hard it would be to eat in the speciality (pay) restaurants without a reservation?

Thanks!

Should be no different from a situation where parties without reservations

show up and wait to be seated together - moving tables around to match

the number of diners. Variable wait based on the time and number of

diners wanting to dine at that particular restaurant.

Early or late should have fewer problems than prime time (dinner show).

They will seat you at a table for two since there are no tables for one.

There has to be large number of tables for two available at most of the

restaurants.

For parties of 3 - use a table set up for 4

Obviously a party of 4 is no problem

For parties of 5 - use a (round) table for 6 or move a table of 2 to one of 4

Again for a party of 6 no problem

For the dreaded party of 7 either put 2 tables for 4 together or use a large

round table for 8 (1 seat empty)

For more than 8 - give the Matri 'd a nightmare on figuring how to accommodate

based on physical space

Some ships have rooms off in enclave from the MDR to accommodate larger groups

But for you as a solo if they can't find room at a table for 2 in a corner or the

middle of the floor speaks of trouble far beyond not having a reservation !

You did not mention the ship you would be on.

My experiences have been on the SUN STAR and DAWN with the dreaded

parties of -7- and things have always been worked out satisfactorily.

While dining I have noticed lots of empty tables in all the restaurants so for

a solo it would appear that your request for a table for -1- would be a non issue.

There is always room for one - maybe with a bit of a wait.

Always helps to call or talk with the staff before hand - reservation or not.

If you are in a suite or better stateroom use the Concierge to assist you.

I travel solo 99% of the time and always make reservations for the specialty restaurants. I've found that it's often easier to get a table if you book for early evening (5:00 - 6:00) versus peak times (7:00 - 8:00).

My suggestion would be to either pre-book online or go to guest services upon boarding where there is a designated dinner reservations area. Also Food Republic and Tapas Bar do not require reservations and the food is very good at both (some would argue that Food Republic has the best food on the ship and I would agree).

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy

Thank you all for your tips. I am traveling solo on the Escape in a few weeks and this is my first NCL experience, so your comments are helpful.

Just wanted to say hello! I am taking my first solo cruise on the Escape in March. I've sailed with family before...but this is a new experience. I have cruised with Royal and Disney, but this is my first NCL cruise. NCL does seem to be more solo-cruiser friendly.

I went ahead and made reservations for dinners--but have been told that for the most part, changes can be made on ship, as needed, ahead of time. I'm fine with dining alone or with others, but I was thinking that I'd rather have some plans ahead of time...just in case.

Looking at my plans, it looks like I somehow double-booked myself on a few nights. Is it just me--or is the pre-booking perhaps not as user-friendly? I'm thinking that modifications can be made over the phone or on the ship.

Anyway, have a wonderful time on your cruise! There is a great thread--from The Dougout, where he posted live from the escape this past week--lots of good information.

Just wanted to say hello! I am taking my first solo cruise on the Escape in March. I've sailed with family before...but this is a new experience. I have cruised with Royal and Disney, but this is my first NCL cruise. NCL does seem to be more solo-cruiser friendly.

I went ahead and made reservations for dinners--but have been told that for the most part, changes can be made on ship, as needed, ahead of time. I'm fine with dining alone or with others, but I was thinking that I'd rather have some plans ahead of time...just in case.

Looking at my plans, it looks like I somehow double-booked myself on a few nights. Is it just me--or is the pre-booking perhaps not as user-friendly? I'm thinking that modifications can be made over the phone or on the ship.

Anyway, have a wonderful time on your cruise! There is a great thread--from The Dougout, where he posted live from the escape this past week--lots of good information.

Yes, you can call and tweak your double-bookings :D

I always sail solo. Up to now I have rarely had a problem getting s table without a reservation. However when I was on the Escape in January that was very much NOT the case. Maybe it's because it's a new ship, but you really do need a reservation unless you don't care when you eat. I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a table, but you can't be picky about the time. Still, it's a beautiful ship and you should have a great time. [emoji3]