3 adults in an inside cabin ?

woodyuk

Hi

I am after a little advice. We are a couple in our late 30's.

We were booked on Harmony of the seas in July for a week from Barcelona, but worked out after flights and hotel the same amount of money could be spent on independence of the seas / Navigator of the seas from Southampton for 14 days around the same time. So we are planning to change our booking. I know we might lose our deposit, but was only £50 each.

My partner's family are also going.

Her sister (35) is now single, and so looking to share room with her parents (in their late 60's) I see you can have 3 adults in a cabin, but how practical is this for 14 nights. I assume families do this with children. I did look for a single cabin for her, but they want £3k for 1 person for an inside cabin which works out more than 2 people sharing!.

So we are a party of 5. 2 adults (in 60's), sister (35) and myself and my partner (late 30's). I have done a lot of P&O cruises before, but they had never cruised until last year when we went on anthem of the seas for 4 nights and loved it!

So 2 questions and sorry if too much info ;-)

1. Would you go on Navigator of the seas or independence of the seas? The only thing leading me to navigator of the seas is that I think it has the Zoom high speed internet we got on Anthem of seas (which was amazing!) plus had a newer refit.

2. Advice on 3 adults in an inside or balcony cabin? Do you get another bed or do you sleep on the sofa?

Thanks

I have done inside cabins with 3-4 in the cabin more than once. You have to cooperate, but it's very doable. Cabins that sleep 3-4 either have a bed that pulls down from overhead, or the sofa bed. I would not book the sofabed. It's in the way, and not comfortable. As long as your SIL is ok with the upper bunk, they should do fine.

There are two "sofa" beds. One can supposedly accommodate two and I find it quite comfortable for 1. The other should be banned.

I do not particularly like Pullman style beds. I find the climb up the ladder "interesting" and the bed claustrophobic. Since the bed is usually above the other bed(s), differing bed times may disturb those sleeping.

Three in an inside while doable, would not be my choice. Especially for 14 days.

On the other hand, a D1 or D2 balcony cabin with large sofa bed is reasonably comfortable for 3.

It should work.. you really only sleep in the room..

Have the girls take showers first.. (we take longer to get ready..)

Luggage can fit under the bed or in the closet.

If anyone can share body wash, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste..and etc would save on space.

Have laundry done one time to save on clothing..

Have done 3 adults in a cabin on smaller ships. The upper bunk (pullman) is fine as long as the people on the lower beds don't mind not being able to push the beds together. (On some ships, the person in the top bunk can't get down if the beds are together).

The only other piece of advice is you may have to co-ordinate bathroom time. An alternative to that is using the showers in the spa/gym.

I have done an inside for 14 days with hubby and mother-in-law. It was interesting, but doable.

You get to know everyone very well! The single bathroom was sometimes a struggle, as was the issue of dressing with men and women both there.

If you have the bed that pulls down, make sure the person sleeping there doesn't mind barefoot climbing the ladder (MIL had tender feet and didn't do well with it at all). It was a Princess ship so this could be different on RCCL.

Hopefully nobody (or both of them as was my case) snores much.

Lastly, air freshener for the cabin and especially the bathroom was a necessity.

I have done an inside for 14 days with hubby and mother-in-law. It was interesting, but doable.

You get to know everyone very well! The single bathroom was sometimes a struggle, as was the issue of dressing with men and women both there.

If you have the bed that pulls down, make sure the person sleeping there doesn't mind barefoot climbing the ladder (MIL had tender feet and didn't do well with it at all). It was a Princess ship so this could be different on RCCL.

Hopefully nobody (or both of them as was my case) snores much.

Lastly, air freshener for the cabin and especially the bathroom was a necessity.

MOTHER IN LAW???? NEVER!

and yes you do see a new side of people. The good, the bad, the TMI, and the ugly.

Personally it would be too stressful for me with the space limitations. Hubby is all I can take.

Hi

We were booked on Harmony of the seas in July for a week from Barcelona, but worked out after flights and hotel the same amount of money could be spent on independence of the seas / Navigator of the seas from Southampton for 14 days around the same time. So we are planning to change our booking. I know we might lose our deposit, but was only £50 each.

Her sister (35) is now single, and so looking to share room with her parents (in their late 60's) I see you can have 3 adults in a cabin, but how practical is this for 14 nights. I assume families do this with children. I did look for a single cabin for her, but they want £3k for 1 person for an inside cabin which works out more than 2 people sharing!.

So we are a party of 5. 2 adults (in 60's), sister (35) and myself and my partner (late 30's). I have done a lot of P&O cruises before, but they had never cruised until last year when we went on anthem of the seas for 4 nights and loved it!

1. Would you go on Navigator of the seas or independence of the seas? The only thing leading me to navigator of the seas is that I think it has the Zoom high speed internet we got on Anthem of seas (which was amazing!) plus had a newer refit.

2. Advice on 3 adults in an inside or balcony cabin? Do you get another bed or do you sleep on the sofa?

Thanks

I just got off the Independence of the Seas today. I am around the same age as your sister in law and shared an inside cabin this week with my parents who are the same age as your in-laws.

My parents got the large bed and I slept on a bunk. The room was a little bit small, but we made it work. There is a sofa that seats 2 people, but it did not open up into a bed in our cabin. We also had a chair at the desk/ vanity.

We saved quite a bit of money going on an inside cabin. It was very do-able for 3 adults to share an inside cabin. My parents would get up earlier and go to breakfast first, so I would use that time to shower and get dressed. By the time they were back, they got use of the room and bathroom and I headed up for breakfast and a walk.

IOS is a lovely ship and the food was good. Although I was able to get wifi on my Amazon Kindle tablet, I was never able to connect to wifi using my iPhone while onboard.

Fourteen days is a long time for togetherness! What was the quote from Modern Family?

"You know what they say, houseguests start to stink after 3 days like dead bodies."-Gloria

Admittedly not the same situation, but.....14 days is a loooooong time! :) I agree that febreze and poopourri would be worth packing, and I've seen many times on these boards that when the cabin is full, the showers in the spa/sauna area can be a lifesaver. (In some cases, they are awesome!) I would hope you can at least get a balcony -- having a view and a place to get away might make things a little less claustrophobic. When we cruised with our two boys in a balcony I think the couch pulled out into a bed...but not a comfy one. The couch might be better for just one person. I think it depends on the room you get.

Good luck, and whichever option, 14 days is also a fabulous amount of time to cruise!

I would suggest against it for a 14 night cruise. I shared a room with my sisters 2 years ago. We were all young to mid-20's and it was OK.... definitely tough... but we were also on the same schedule since it was a family of 5 vacation. If you can alternate with showering, dressing etc, might not be too bad since you are barely in your room. Maybe a balcony room would be cheaper than her own room but would at least FEEL a bit bigger for everyone??

I only did 3 adults in one cabin one time...it was an inside as that was all that was available. It was not a very good experience. We took turned using the upper bunk....what a hassle getting in and out of. And two of us were hot and one was cold...so we would set the air on (Caribbean Cruise) and during the night the other girl would turn it off since she was cold. In hindsight we should have had better communications prior to cruise. Just make sure ahead of time you work out who is using the bunk....also shower times....and temp for cabin....sounds like little things but it does make a difference. Having said all this we still had a great cruise...but then I always do!

We have done a 14 and a 7 inside with daughter and boyfriend we got to know him well.

You can have some use showers in spa gym area bigger if pressed for time. All our cruises are mostly for 4 either inside or balcony. I snore badly so I always bring a supply of ear plugs for those offended. Even when doing an inside for 2 we have beds separated otherwise you have to crawl down the bed to get out.

Hi

Thanks

Inside will be very tight, get a balcony room with a sofa bed.

We are doing 13 days in a room with my mother (so yes, my husband has agreed to 13 days sleeping in the same room as his mother in law..) in August but there is just no way we would do it in an inside. We do spend some time in the cabin, and it is just too awkward to get dressed and ready and relax in such a small space. Plus there is no way she would sleep on a pull out upper bed and I personally wouldn't either, and most insides have those to sofa beds.

I would strongly recommend a balcony room with a sofa bed. There will be a curtain between the sofa bed and the double to give some privacy for getting dressed etc. and it will be much easier and far cheaper than booking an inside + a single.

That being said only the people travelling know what they're comfortable with. If they are literally only going to be going to the room at 11pm and leaving it at 8am in the next morning as they plan to be out and about all day, well sleeping in a small space isn't the end of the world. It's just the comfort level of the pullman that will be a factor.