Bringing large purchases back on the ship

We will be leaving for our Grandeur of the Sea's cruise in a few days from Baltimore. We are driving to the port.

At one of our stops we are picking up a rather large piece of artwork from a local gallery (painting). Would we have a problem getting this back on ship and back to our stateroom? I'm not sure if it would fit through X-ray (or if I would even want to put it through X-ray).

Would they allow us to take our purchase back to the room or make us store it somewhere else on the ship?

I'm starting to think the smartest thing to do would be to have it shipped back home from the gallery but trying to save the shipping charges and it would be nice to have it on the spot.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

We will be leaving for our Grandeur of the Sea's cruise in a few days from Baltimore. We are driving to the port.

At one of our stops we are picking up a rather large piece of artwork from a local gallery (painting). Would we have a problem getting this back on ship and back to our stateroom? I'm not sure if it would fit through X-ray (or if I would even want to put it through X-ray).

Would they allow us to take our purchase back to the room or make us store it somewhere else on the ship?

I'm starting to think the smartest thing to do would be to have it shipped back home from the gallery but trying to save the shipping charges and it would be nice to have it on the spot.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Why not go with plan A (bring it back to the ship) while keeping plan B (shipping) open. Make sure you research plan B so it is ready to go. When you first board the ship speak to either the CD or guest services and ask them. If yes, great. If no, then you still have plan B to fall back on.

I agree. alway have a back up plan and when you board alway ask several crews members to make sure all the answer are the same.Also if the art painting is few stop later ask the crew members in the gangway area as well. I would also maybe ask the art area on board to see what would he recommend but likely won't because he looking for business.

If an item is too large to go through security's X-ray scanner they will do an visual inspection to see if it OK to be brought onboard.

I had that happen once a few years back when I bought an 32" flat screen LED TV on sale at Kmart on duty/tax free St. Thomas, USVI on our port stop there. We were on a ship that was out of Bayonne, NJ which we drove to. Not only was the sale price really good but I also saved the 13% sale tax and $39 environmental fee that would have been charged back home. We had no problem bringing it onboard and stored it under our bed for the balance of that cruise. The TV was still in the factory sealed and strapped carton and security didn't even open the box. They did tip it from side to side to make sure nothing was loose inside in case I had slipped something extra in. :D

Edited by robtulipe

Thank you for the suggestions and responses. The gallery is in Key West....the last port of our cruise, so we will have plenty of time to ask around the ship.

And Rob....thank you so much for the smile this evening. For some reason that story mad me laugh. I also love a good bargain. You're my new hero.

Thank you for the suggestions and responses. The gallery is in Key West....the last port of our cruise, so we will have plenty of time to ask around the ship.

And Rob....thank you so much for the smile this evening. For some reason that story mad me laugh. I also love a good bargain. You're my new hero.

If I were you, I would just have it shipped. Seems to be the path of least resistance.

Yes, I couldn't resist buying it at the price I got it for and we did need a new TV but did do considerable pondering before I did so. Also I did get some strange looks when walking off at disembarking with that TV but being an LED flat panel it wasn't that heavy nor large and I didn't want to chance it with the luggage gorillas. :D

You should be able to bring it back onboard if you wish to. :D We have seen lots of strange things brought back. I forget which cruise, but a couple had (3)6 foot carved wooden poles with carved parrots. :D

On another cruise, one of the staff was collecting mosaic inlaid sinks in Mexico, so that he could re-sell them later. He brought 2 back on our cruise. He was storing them in an empty crew cabin next door. :D

Friends of our brought several trunks with them on a TA, as they were moving back to the UK.

If you want to carry it, they will probably let you bring it back onboard. :D