Proof Of Vaccination For Pacific Island Cruise

Hi all,

Will be going on the Pacific Island Cruise with Carnival next month and have already seen my local GP who has since given me the vaccinations listed to be required; Hep A & Typhoid, Malaria tablets.

He couldn't give me the flu shot as we are getting a new one in April and most places have used up the old vaccine and cannot bring more in. He told me that wasn't worth losing sleep over though!

My question is; will I need to go back and ask for proof of the vaccines? I've heard many people visit he island without he vaccines and am wondering whether they ask for the proof whilst over there?

Has anyone ever dealt with refusal to get on an island without having proof?

Thanks!

No proof required. I think the vaccinations are a suggestion rather than mandatory. Never had any for a Pacific cruise.

Agree with woodyren. There are no "requirements" for any vaccinations when travelling to Pacific Island. Normal hygiene recommendations...the same as you do at home in order to avoid any gastro type bugs. Certainly you don't need anti malaria type medications unless you are going into the remote jungles and/or islands. Take a bottle of DEET type spray. Enjoy the islands and their peoples.

Hi all,

Will be going on the Pacific Island Cruise with Carnival next month and have already seen my local GP who has since given me the vaccinations listed to be required; Hep A & Typhoid, Malaria tablets.

He couldn't give me the flu shot as we are getting a new one in April and most places have used up the old vaccine and cannot bring more in. He told me that wasn't worth losing sleep over though!

My question is; will I need to go back and ask for proof of the vaccines? I've heard many people visit he island without he vaccines and am wondering whether they ask for the proof whilst over there?

Thanks!

Have been to Pacific Islands many times and have never needed proof of vaccinations. It is more for your benefit. Seeing you have gone to the effort of getting the vaccinations, I would be getting proof - just for record purposes. A few years ago we needed to get a Yellow Fever vaccination and the surgery gave us a "International Certificate of Vaccination" booklet. We now get all vaccinations including flu injections recorded into this booklet for our own benefit. If you can't get a booklet, just get a letter from the Doctor and keep that.

Agree with woodyren. There are no "requirements" for any vaccinations when travelling to Pacific Island. Normal hygiene recommendations...the same as you do at home in order to avoid any gastro type bugs. Certainly you don't need anti malaria type medications unless you are going into the remote jungles and/or islands. Take a bottle of DEET type spray. Enjoy the islands and their peoples.

I agree with having the"standard " inoculations up to date, but do be wary of malaria tablets. I was told they can give you wild dreams. Bushman repellent spray with DEET is very good .

Hi all,

Thanks!

Maybe the doctor looked at the list suggested for the islands and decided you needed the lot.

Typhoid and Hep A - I have never heard of these being given for the Pacific Islands. We have been to the islands 35 or more times and have never considered these or malaria medication. We take Bushmans DEET spray with us but have never used it because we have never seen a mosquito in our travels.

I think out of all the vaccinations the doctor suggested, the only important one is the flu shot, but you probably had that early last year as a routine health precaution.

Maybe if you were living in the islands you might need something more, but for a one-day visit - no. No-one on the ship, when you go ashore, or when you return to Australia will ask you what vaccinations you have had.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Like the others have said, make sure you are up to date with the usuals - esp tetanus. The rest? Being on a ship means you just aren't exposed to anything much. And even on a land trip I wouldn't even think of checking with a Doctor for the Pacific.

Edited by Pushka

I agree with having the"standard " inoculations up to date, but do be wary of malaria tablets. I was told they can give you wild dreams. Bushman repellent spray with DEET is very good .

Oh no. My son was conceived and born in Malaysia, AND i was on Malaria tablets. :):D:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies (internet hasn't been kind to me lately)

I've heard a lot about people who don't take the malaria tablets, but I'm one of those unlucky people who always manages to get sick somehow and don't want to risk it! I did have to change the medication I was originally given though as my first dr gave me the wrong type which someone with my history is told specifically NOT to take- fair to say I've changed dr now but can't refund the $$ she made me waste 😡

I've heard a lot about people who don't take the malaria tablets, but I'm one of those unlucky people who always manages to get sick somehow and don't want to risk it! I did have to change the medication I was originally given though as my first dr gave me the wrong type which someone with my history is told specifically NOT to take- fair to say I've changed dr now but can't refund the $$ she made me waste

Malaria is a mosquito-borne disease. Most mosquitoes come out at dusk. In 99.9% of cases, the cruise ship has left dock before dusk so there is a very small chance of you being bitten by a mosquito. Unless you are going to go walking through thick bush/swampy areas

I've heard a lot about people who don't take the malaria tablets, but I'm one of those unlucky people who always manages to get sick somehow and don't want to risk it! I did have to change the medication I was originally given though as my first dr gave me the wrong type which someone with my history is told specifically NOT to take- fair to say I've changed dr now but can't refund the $$ she made me waste 😡

There is little chance of you getting malaria, but the anti-malaria tablets do not stop the mosquito biting you. I suggest you use 'anti-bug' spray. The most effective ones have a high concentration of DEET. We take ours with us, but because we haven't ever seen a mosquito on out 50-plus cruises, we haven't ever used it. :)

I agree with your comment that the doctor has caused you a lot of unnecessary expense.:(

My doctor didn't think there was any benefit to vaccinations for a South Pacific cruise. It's a risk vs benefits assessment, personally I wouldn't take anything for Malaria given the risk of contracting Malaria on these cruises is virtually nil, yet these preventative treatments can have side effects.. I wouldn't do it, but of course it's personal choice.

But none are required.

I think taking anti malaria medication for South Pacific is a bit OTT.

We cruise/toured Mexico and Central America last year. Didn't take any, didn't need any, and didn't even need repellent (which we did take). We did get Hep A and typhoid shots though.