Why is liberty cheaper?

We are looking at another cruise and see the liberty out of Galveston is much cheaper than Freedom or Indy, why? Is it Galveston? Liberty is going going thru a dry dock giving it water slides thinking they would charge a premium.

Is Galveston really that bad? I understand it's far from the airport but do is Port Canaveral. Thinking of booking it and want to know what I'm missing

We are looking at another cruise and see the liberty out of Galveston is much cheaper than Freedom or Indy, why? Is it Galveston? Liberty is going going thru a dry dock giving it water slides thinking they would charge a premium.

Is Galveston really that bad? I understand it's far from the airport but do is Port Canaveral. Thinking of booking it and want to know what I'm missing

It's not the ship. Cruises out of Galveston have been less expensive than similar cruises out of Florida for years. Maybe competition in Galveston?

I'm not sure when you're wishing to cruise, but Galveston is good to go. I'm going in 9 days and hope that the new terminal and a refurbished Liberty is the is good to go as well. What's strange is that living in Houston, for us, sailing out of Florida is actually cheaper but we'd need to factor in the hotel/airline costs. But the cruise fare itself in most cases will cost us less. This will be our first stops to Roatan & Belize. We'll see how we enjoy the ports but I have no doubt the ship will be great.

Galveston is easy to sail out of if you drive-lots of parking, fairly cheap, shuttle to ship is included. Barring fog, it is a short sail into open gulf and the town has several interesting historical areas-the Strand. It is a fair distance from an airport-fly into Hobby if you can. I think sometimes they do not fill the ships there without a sale sometimes. Just got off Princess which sailed from Houston and at one time it was really cheap. No Princess out of Houston after April. Maybe they will come back to the new terminal in Galveston.

It's not the ship. Cruises out of Galveston have been less expensive than similar cruises out of Florida for years. Maybe competition in Galveston?

what competition?! there is one other ship( Carnival). and Princess is leaving Houston altogether.

we enjoy sailing out of Galveston but we drive. its less convenient if you must fly.

what competition?! there is one other ship( Carnival)...

There are several Carnival ships (I threw up in my mouth a little bit as I said that) going out of Galveston:

Freedom, Magic, Triumph, Breeze and too confuse everyone they are bringing in Carnival Liberty in March. I have suggested that they rename that ship WalMart of the Seas in order to avoid confusion. :p

what competition?! there is one other ship( Carnival). and Princess is leaving Houston altogether.

we enjoy sailing out of Galveston but we drive. its less convenient if you must fly.

Maybe Royal's prices will go up when Princess is gone?

I'm not sure when you're wishing to cruise, but Galveston is good to go. I'm going in 9 days and hope that the new terminal and a refurbished Liberty is the is good to go as well. What's strange is that living in Houston, for us, sailing out of Florida is actually cheaper but we'd need to factor in the hotel/airline costs. But the cruise fare itself in most cases will cost us less. This will be our first stops to Roatan & Belize. We'll see how we enjoy the ports but I have no doubt the ship will be great.

I am hoping you will be kind enough to provide a detailed trip review on the newly refurbished Liberty. I am sailing end of April, same itinerary with my teen. I would be interested to learn more about the new Galveston terminal ,water slides,entertainment, and tendering process in Belize (which i heard can be chaotic). I believe you have to line up somewhere to first obtain tendering ticket? Also, if you could load the cruise compass, that would be much appreciated! I am planning to take the RCCL Airport shuttle post cruise to IAH airport, if you plan on doing the same, would love to hear how the disembarkation etc process went.

Looking forward to this cruise!

Thanking you in advance.

there are several carnival ships (i threw up in my mouth a little bit as i said that) going out of galveston:

Freedom, magic, triumph, breeze and too confuse everyone they are bringing in carnival liberty in march. I have suggested that they rename that ship walmart of the seas in order to avoid confusion. :p

lol,

Last time we went to Roatan, we went to "Little French Key." It's a private island with beaches, drinks, food and other amenities. It was really nice. Might want to check it out online.

We selected this spot as our stop while in Roatan. Looking forward to it in 10 days or so! Thanks for your feedback and confirmation. Tripadvisor gives them a great rating.

We book balcony rooms once a year on Royal usually in October. Our past criteria was Caribbean on an Oasis, Freedom or Voyager class. For Oct. 2014 Navigator out of Galveston was the cheapest cruise we could find. When looking for a cruise for Oct. 2016, Liberty out of Galveston came up as the cheapest. Adventure from Puerto Rico was a close second but the longer flight from the West Coast would have made it less desirable. We will do Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico some day. In two years, Galveston was the cheapest for us as well. Not sure if this will change when Princess leave Houston.

Maybe Royal's prices will go up when Princess is gone?

I don't know if the prices for next winter will go up with Princess and NCL gone from Houston, but I do know that the suites are selling fast. All the GS on our Jan 2017 sailing on the LOS have been sold out for months.

We are going on Liberty and out of Galveston for the first time in July. Can't wait to see the changes. We were disappointed to find hear that Liberty doesn't have the Freestyle drink stations. We chose this cruise because we've never been to Roatan or Belize and haven't been to the Galveston pier. We're driving and plan to tack on a couple of days in New Orleans on the way back. Can't wait to hear more about all the changes.

We've sailed out of Galveston once and loved it. Flew into Hobby had Super Shuttle take us to the Hilton ( 1 hour drive) and spent a few days prior to boarding. Nice area, good food and friendly people.

We'll be back this Sept. to check out Liberty.

Donna

Personally, I thought of all of the ports I've ever sailed out of.... That Galveston was kind of a crap hole. Just seemed very dirty and not interesting. Maybe my opinion will change when the new terminal is done. Trying it out in Oct. we shall see. IMO though, could be the reason for cheaper prices. Trying to get people to sail out of this ugly port lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are going on Liberty and out of Galveston for the first time in July. Can't wait to see the changes. We were disappointed to find hear that Liberty doesn't have the Freestyle drink stations. We chose this cruise because we've never been to Roatan or Belize and haven't been to the Galveston pier. We're driving and plan to tack on a couple of days in New Orleans on the way back. Can't wait to hear more about all the changes.

Who said no Freestyle machines - they had them on our Jan 2013 sailing out of Florida can not imagine they took them off.

Who said no Freestyle machines - they had them on our Jan 2013 sailing out of Florida can not imagine they took them off.

Are you sure? Could you possibly be thinking of your Allure cruise in 2014.

We were on Liberty in December 2013 and again in March 2014 and they did not have the Freestyle machines.

There are several Carnival ships (I threw up in my mouth a little bit as I said that) going out of Galveston:

Freedom, Magic, Triumph, Breeze and too confuse everyone they are bringing in Carnival Liberty in March. I have suggested that they rename that ship WalMart of the Seas in order to avoid confusion. :p

Say what you will but Carnival Liberty is a great ship and a lot of fun. As someone who has been on both the food is much better on Carnival Liberty hands down. They each offer a different experience. It just depends on what you want.

Edited by 9876