Mediterranean musts

chefestelle

It's months away yet but I'm restless and anxious to go. So I'm looking for tips from those who have done a Med cruise. For instance, I have good walking shoes for all the climbing and walking (Olympia, Ephesus, Athens, Santorini), a super lightweight infinity scarf for churches and mosques to cover the shoulders and head, what else?

Hullo,

It was VERY hot on the day we went to (Asia Minor) Ephesus. Our guide found a tree for us have some relief for a while, so a parasol is a good idea. It was also very crowded, so take care not to poke someone in the eye. Ha ha.

Apply sunscreen before you go and a long-sleeved fine cotton shirt is a good idea, I think.

We loved Ephesus. We were there on the 21st of May, so it may be even hotter for you.

Happy sailing!

fe

Take two pairs of walking shoes if you will be doing lots of walking -- for two reasons. One, it's better for your feet to alternate pairs, and second, if something happens to your first pair (they get soaked, something breaks) or they aren't as comfortable as you'd thought, you will have a spare.

A good sun hat - one that you will be comfortable packing and wearing.

I bring a bandana that I soak and wear around my neck. You may want to consider a neck cooler but I find a bandana more versatile.

Have maps, such as from Rick Steves' Med Ports book, if you will be walking around any port without a guide, especially Athens. We took HAL tours in each of the ports you mention but many prefer to do it on their own.

Footing is difficult in many places. I had a collapsible walking stick with me - about $12 from Aamazon.com and collapsed to less than 19". It was extremely useful when walking down the steep path to the tender pier in Santorini.

Have clothing with zippered pockets to protect your valuables.

The Med is filled with wonders. Happy planning. m--

Gold Bond! I forgot about that! I love Rick steves and I have that book but, like you, I'm taking the HAL tours. Too little time and too much to see to risk doing it on my own since I'm directionally challenged! I have a money belt I'm hoping to use. It's pretty flush and easy to conceal. It's the added heat...

One very important point that is not concerned with what you take but with what you should do----Watch your step!! Ancient buildings and sites were not built with safety in mind and there are little steps where you least expect them---sometimes from one room to the next there is a little six inch change in elevation.

There are also unguarded drop offs in buildings. In Seville I watched a guy step back to get a better photo and he fell into what used to be an indoor pool in ancient times. Fortunately the cut on his head didn't seem too serious.

We learned very quickly to walk looking down at our footing as much as we looked up at the sights and sites.

Enjoy your cruise and stay safe. :)

Edited by sapper1

One very important point that is not concerned with what you take but with what you should do----Watch your step!! Ancient buildings and sites were not built with safety in mind and there are little steps where you least expect them---sometimes from one room to the next there is a little six inch change in elevation.

There are also unguarded drop offs in buildings. In Seville I watched a guy step back to get a better photo and he fell into what used to be an indoor pool in ancient times. Fortunately the cut on his head didn't seem too serious.

We learned very quickly to walk looking down at our footing as much as we looked up at the sights and sites.

Enjoy your cruise and stay safe. :)

The marble steps up to the Acropolis in Athens are also perilous if even a little bit wet. Centuries of feet treading them has made them shiny and polished. Wonderful to contemplate all those who've been before you, but wear your grippiest shoes....!

Excellent advice here. I can think of only one other thing, and that is to pace yourself! If your cruise is as port-intensive as ours have been, you will need to rest when you can, so you're ready to get up and go again the next morning. :D

The Med is my favorite place to cruise, cannot wait to go again. Have a great cruise!

If you elect (as we did) to walk back down to catch the tender back to the ship, you must be very careful walking. You are faced with the donkeys trotting uphill at a good clip, so are forced to dodge them as well as their droppings while walking down a fairly steep walkway. We saw several people fall on the walk down and some of them were elderly.

As has been mentioned, comfy footwear is a MUST on any trip that involves walking. Personally, we live in our sandals (just like many Europeans) and love both Teva's and Clark's. We never wear socks with sandals and make sure ours are well broken-in before a long trip. We also see folks wearing sturdy hiking shoes (too hot in the summer for my taste). As to flip flops, they are so darn popular and comfy, but can be a real disaster on rough terrain. We also see more and more folks using the collapsible walking sticks which seems to make a lot of sense for those with any kind of balance issue.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I agree with all the shoe hints - and be aware that somehow stone cobbles and steps are even harder than concrete! With all the walking we did on one Med cruise, I had a stress fracture in one leg. Now I make sure I have lots of cushioning in any shoes I wear if there's a lot of walking involved. No shoe vanity allowed!:eek:

I wear 'fitflops' all summer ...they don't do what they claim to do i.e toning , but they are fantastically cushioned and comfy. You need to wear them in a bit first though if you go for the thong style ...I wore new ones in Rome and it was the first time I've ever wished for public transport.

Other med tip ..stay out of the midday sun if possible

A good sun hat - one that you will be comfortable packing and wearing.

I bring a bandana that I soak and wear around my neck. You may want to consider a neck cooler but I find a bandana more versatile.

Have maps, such as from Rick Steves' Med Ports book, if you will be walking around any port without a guide, especially Athens. We took HAL tours in each of the ports you mention but many prefer to do it on their own.

Footing is difficult in many places. I had a collapsible walking stick with me - about $12 from Aamazon.com and collapsed to less than 19". It was extremely useful when walking down the steep path to the tender pier in Santorini.

Have clothing with zippered pockets to protect your valuables.

The Med is filled with wonders. Happy planning. m--

I second the Rick Steves recommendation. I find his maps really easy to read, and spot on in marking the highlights. I have several of his pocket size books for most of our Med trips....and also helpful is the basic language translations he includes in the back. I will typically purchase his full size guide book to read up on our ports, and then, if available, purchase the small pocket size with maps to take with us.

He also has really good walking tour recordings on his site. I've downloaded them and followed along with our iPods for touring Rome (when we were on land vacation and had a full week there), and they worked really well. For other ports we've visited on a cruise, I've to listened to them in the car to help prepare me (and get excited) for our upcoming cruise.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I agree with all the shoe comments. We did the Med trip in 2014 and walked to the top of the Acropolis. As someone else mentioned the stones are very slippery. A friend was wearing Skechers and she had no problem walking up. I had on what I thought were sturdy shoes that would grip but they didn't work very well. It was like walking on ice. I now have a few pairs of Skechers for any trips that require a lot of walking.

Helen