Mediterranean musts

chefestelle

Rick Steves is good for advance research. I use an app in the cities called "city walks". It's a navigation app that works off-line, so no data roaming. It was BEYOND useful in Italy, as I tend to get directionally challenged when I'm walking. This way, I know I'm always headed in the right direction (useful on buses to know when to get off)

I took up Rick Steves' tip to cut his books up. I took the sections for our ports and taped the binding edge with packing tape. It was very easy to carry the little booklets.

I also second downloading his walking tours even if just to familiarize yourself with places before hand.

And I used my walking stick a lot more than I thought I would. Not that my balance is poor but because when looking at the antiquities, looking up, down and around, it gave me more confidence on the very slippery, sandy surfaces, plus it helped my short legs going up and down the very steep steps. I had a grand time in Olympia, Athens, Ephesus and Santorini! Enjoy, m--

I took up Rick Steves' tip to cut his books up. I took the sections for our ports and taped the binding edge with packing tape. It was very easy to carry the little booklets.

--

That is a great idea!

There is something about his maps that I find so easy to understand. I think it's the font he uses that makes it look handwritten, and the labels are very big and easy to understand. They always remind me of something a knowledgeable friend would draw out for me.

That is a great idea!

There is something about his maps that I find so easy to understand. I think it's the font he uses that makes it look handwritten, and the labels are very big and easy to understand. They always remind me of something a knowledgeable friend would draw out for me.

I took the idea from Rick Steves which is in most of his books. It was hard for me to do it though, growing up with a reverence for books.:eek: But in reality the books are outdated pretty quickly. By the time I go back to the Med I'll want to buy a new book anyway. Probably good for the book business :).

Excellent advice here. I can think of only one other thing, and that is to pace yourself! If your cruise is as port-intensive as ours have been, you will need to rest when you can, so you're ready to get up and go again the next morning. :D

The Med is my favorite place to cruise, cannot wait to go again. Have a great cruise!

That too. The Med is extremely exhausting. Fascinating, but if you don't pace yourself you can hit the wall. Good advice.

A good sun hat - one that you will be comfortable packing and wearing.

I bring a bandana that I soak and wear around my neck. You may want to consider a neck cooler but I find a bandana more versatile.

Have maps, such as from Rick Steves' Med Ports book, if you will be walking around any port without a guide, especially Athens. We took HAL tours in each of the ports you mention but many prefer to do it on their own.

Footing is difficult in many places. I had a collapsible walking stick with me - about $12 from Aamazon.com and collapsed to less than 19". It was extremely useful when walking down the steep path to the tender pier in Santorini.

Have clothing with zippered pockets to protect your valuables.

The Med is filled with wonders. Happy planning. m--

In some locations where there are large crowds, e.g., antiquities in Rome, zippered pants pockets don't do much to stop those pesky kids with the bandaged fingers, which hide the edges of razor blades used to slit pocket bottoms so that wallets et al. will fall out.

In some locations where there are large crowds, e.g., antiquities in Rome, zippered pants pockets don't do much to stop those pesky kids with the bandaged fingers, which hide the edges of razor blades used to slit pocket bottoms so that wallets et al. will fall out.

You are correct about the huge crowds at nearly all tourist locations in Europe!! It seems that there are a hundred ways to separate a tourist from their money but so far for us reasonable precautions have gone a loooong way to making our visits, even to crowded places, uneventful for tawdry incidents. On busses, railroad and metro stations, getting on and off crowded conveyances, in trinket shops, reading informational signs at ruins, situation awareness must be a constant.

On shore excursions I prefer to carry a small amount of cash in a zippered pocket. When I carry a wallet it is on an elastic cord and pinned into a zippered pocket, usually my overshirt pocket, not a pants pocket, and I separate my credit card from my cash. Larger amounts of cash should be in a waist or neck pouch.

I take what precautions I can to minimize being pickpocketed, and if it happens to limit my potential losses. And I go out and enjoy my day seeing the world's most amazing sights! m--

Best advise after three wonderful Med cruises is to take it all in with awareness and enjoyment--so many are so busy taking pictures, they forget to "drink in" the sights! Watched three young women at the Colosseum in October chatting and shooting selfies like mad--they never turned around to just LOOK at the magnificent place!

Read up on the history of each place, when possible. I also love to put myself into the right frame of mind by watching movies set in that location (you can Google that) and listening to appropriate music!

If you are going into St Peter's in Vatican City, it is requested that you wear garments that cover the knees, as well as your head covering. It could actually be a requirement by now.

Best check on the web-site.

Happy sailing!

fe

I was there in July. No head covering needed. The churches often sell shoulder coverings in the summer when many are sleeveless, but we found them often to be sold out so come prepared!

If you are going into St Peter's in Vatican City, it is requested that you wear garments that cover the knees, as well as your head covering. It could actually be a requirement by now.

Best check on the web-site.

Happy sailing!

fe

Here is the official sign outside St. Peters at the Vatican. Note knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.

http://www.materdeitours.com/files/8213/5602/8340/Rome_Nov._4-8_239_2_2.jpg

No need to cover your head in the church.

Best advise after three wonderful Med cruises is to take it all in with awareness and enjoyment--so many are so busy taking pictures, they forget to "drink in" the sights! Watched three young women at the Colosseum in October chatting and shooting selfies like mad--they never turned around to just LOOK at the magnificent place!

Read up on the history of each place, when possible. I also love to put myself into the right frame of mind by watching movies set in that location (you can Google that) and listening to appropriate music!

I love the movie idea!

Our guide in Greece said the secret to keeping cool was a wet scarf around the back of her neck - a looped linen gauze scarf works best and you just need to pour some water from your water bottle on the back of it.

Agree, taking a small folding umbrella for shade - reflective silver ones are even better - essential when walking and standing around in the hot son.

Modesty also requires keeping knees covered in some spots as well as arms and shoulders.

Lightweight linen is my favorite hot weather fabric. Sure it wrinkles (in a nice way) but it also dries so easily and can be rinsed out every night and smoothed with your hands on a hanger. In a few hours it is dry and ready to go again.

Edited by OlsSalt

Here is the official sign outside St. Peters at the Vatican. Note knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women.

http://www.materdeitours.com/files/8213/5602/8340/Rome_Nov._4-8_239_2_2.jpg

No need to cover your head in the church.

That's been my experience, too. We enjoy touring old churches in Europe, will often duck in to any one we see. I find that carrying a thin lightweight big scarf in my purse helps. If needed, I'll just whip it out and toss it around my shoulders.

My recommendation would be to change the date of your cruise if at all possible.

I would recommend the spring or fall (mid Sept/Oct) simply because of the very hot weather and the crowds.

Don't eat in any restaurant that is full of tourists or has a menu printed out in five languages. Walk a block or two off the main drag and eat where the locals eat. Order the house wine. Never get conned into ordering a bottle of wine without asking the price. Split meals in order to try different things. Understand the cost prior to ordering...most especially in touristy outdoor cafes. Watch your change.

Edited by iancal

Guys,

Forget the wite baskets with socks and buy a pair of comfortable walking sandals from Teva, Clarks or Geox.

Please don't wear socks with them though:eek:

Forget the fannybag. They are pickpocket magnets ( as are the white basket shoes, they shout American tourist). It is unbelievable that some guidebooks still recommend them.

Use a good camerabag over the shoulder instead with the opening zipped closed towards the body and away from the streetside.

A 2 parts pants are always a good idea. Zipped short or long for walking in theheat or visiting religious buildings...

Ladies, a light headscarf is not only protecting against the sun, but also required in most mosques and can cover naked shoulders...

Do not try and buy in US $ but bring Euro

Tips in the EU are a couple of Euro MAX!!! Please respect our limited tipping culture, we also respect yours.

Duct Tape is a must.

I wear hiking boots when touring because I have a tendency to twist my ankle on rough terrain. The hiking boots keep it straight. The stones in some of the old areas were so hot that the sole of my boots separated from the upper portion. (The group guide we had said that this is a chronic problem for them, too. She always has an extra pair of sandals with her.)

I taped the boots together and kept having to add additional tape because it kept melting.

Is it hot in the Med in these old areas? YES!

(I found that Eddie Bauer has nice cool long sleeved shirts. I think they are in the TRAVEX line on their web site. My hiking boots melted, but I didn't.)

Always love the generic advice 'be aware of your surroundings" which to me is meaningless. However, there are some situations we now observe that put us on high alert for pickpocketing:

Public transportation:

1. Groups of young people idling around a bus stop that goes to a tourist attraction, eyeing you and maybe coming up and sitting by you, scoping you from front to back to see where your pockets are.

2. Blocking the entrance to a bus, so there is a back-up of people and some distracting confusion so you don't notice someone reaching into your pockets.

3. Don't expect the bus driver to help, though often other passengers might alert you to watch out. The bus driver has to deal with the gangs after you are gone, so he is off looking the other direction out the window.

4. Anytime there is (1) crowding and a (2) distraction is prime pickpocket time.

5. Raising your arms to take a picture, leaves your sides and pockets unguarded.

Best shoes for cobblestone walking I have found are: SAS or Bernie Mev.

Edited by OlsSalt