Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Incredible spirit on board this morning. In 25 years of cruising I've never seen anything like it.

Having a late breakfast after being up till about 5, and all of us who were strangers yesterday seem to be best friends today. Perhaps because we were all in the same boat last night. (Guessing that's where the saying came from. ). Last night all of us were equals, and the 5000 of us not on the bridge were praying hard for the few dozen who were on that bridge.

Everyone is sharing their stories today, and staff and crew are being totally transparent about the fact that we all had a rough night. Captain said that last night was the worst night of his career and you could tell there was no pretense.

RCCL has made pretty much everything free and are doing all the right things you'd hope for in a situation like this. Free internet, free mini bar, free stateroom movies, and transparent announcements.

Having cruised many times on RCCL, I've seen them change itineraries for lesser situations than we had last night, so I'd have to reject the notion that they were grossly negligent. I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis and industry education that will come out of this.

We did choose to sail out of port liberty in February so we knew there was an increased risk. But watching as the storm developed and wrapped around us so quickly and how the crew maneuvered the ship to try to find pockets of relative calm, attempt to hold the ship facing into the wind, then look for the best opportunity to pivot and hightail it out, they have my respect and gratitude.

Walking around the ship this morning, it's amazing how well the ship fared. I'm sure many people worked all night to make this happen. Thanks all.

Beautiful day at sea off coast of Georgia but still windy. They reported another storm system developing off Jacksonville and we are barely creeping along so I assume they are deciding how to proceed.

Newsflash. Actually as I'm typing we are turning hard to the east and down to a crawl so looks like the plans are changing.

This is how memories are made....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So happy that you are all safe and sound and hats off to the crew. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

This is a test to if a whole page of posts have really disappeared as it seems.

If it has

No definite arrival time in Canaveral.

Use my pix as you like

Non-fb required link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.785573522938.1073741885.73700961&type=1&l=64cc004acc

It did disappear then came back.

Thank you so much Karina for keeping everyone updated.

I hope you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Onboard too here! Definitely a frightening night!

Has anyone heard anything about what they're doing with the ship/itinerary? Are they doing to cut the cruise short in PC tomorrow?

No itinerary update on Royal's website as yet.

It is my understanding that the ship has a group of families that have children on the Autistic spectrum. I absolutely pray for these families as this is the worst case scenario ever. I can't even imagine how they are dealing with "out of the routines" When we took our daughter the emergency drill caused a full on meltdown.

I am not on board, but part of the Autism On The Seas private community on Facebook. The staff from that group posted: No one in that party was hurt and they are in their private bumper car session this morning. The kids looked happy in the photos!

I am not on board, but part of the Autism On The Seas private community on Facebook. The staff from that group posted: No one in that party was hurt and they are in their private bumper car session this morning. The kids looked happy in the photos!

As a longtime autism parent & cruiser, that's great to hear! Thanks for posting!!

Thank you to everyone for the detailed updates - so happy to hear that everyone is safe and sound, if not a little bothered schedule-wise! Sounds like the Crew is doing a terrific job to make the best of a bad situation!

We have been actively watching these threads since we leave on Anthem this Saturday! So, we'll be anxiously awaiting any news regarding their next cruise.

Thanks again to everyone posting news and photos--and for everything throughout this ordeal!

Glad she came through....brings back scary memories...

years ago we were on Celebrity Mercury returning to Fl...very rough water and a bad storm came up the last night...ship badly listed, we were literally rolled out of bed, very scary..we put on our life vests and stayed in the cabin as instructed...safest place.

in the am ship the was a mess broken dishes etc. ...auto doors had opened on some decks , carpets and stairs were flooded & sloshy..staff did their best to get folks fed and disembarked...

the next cruise sailed but unfortunately there was mechanical damage.ship sailed at a slow speed and missed a few ports..

Hope everyone on Anthem recovers....glad it was not worse

Edited by hcat

We all have a dark passenger, you just control yours better than I. Back on topic. My neighbor in Cocoa Beach is retired Coast Guard and a big ham radio operator. Hopefully I'll get his take on last night. My other neighbor is a retired air force meteorologist. Maybe I can quiz him.

My husband's undergraduate degree is in meteorology, and he works for a company that does corporate aviation and marine (mostly off-shore drilling) forecasting. He's an avid storm watcher, and he was shocked when I told him about the wind and wave conditions the Anthem was hit with. It was well known that this storm was out there, but the NWS forecast was for MUCH less severe conditions.

Edited by Cindy

Onboard too here! Definitely a frightening night!

Has anyone heard anything about what they're doing with the ship/itinerary? Are they doing to cut the cruise short in PC tomorrow?

Nebcruiser1

So glad you are ok :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I think most of us on the ship right now have a similar view on this. It was scary and during the highest winds there were times you wondered what the outcome would be. But today you look back and realise that the captain did a fantastic job at getting us through what he described as his worst day at sea ever.

The ship has sustained some damage but most of it looks superficial and the crew are already clearing it up with temporary repairs where necessary. The gally crew and housekeeping guys have been great to get things back up and running as quickly as they have not forgetting they've had exactly the same experience we've had so full marks to them as well.

Whether the captain could have avoided this is irrelevant since it's now in the past and if he did anything wrong people with more knowledge and information than anyone on board the ship or on this board will do the analysis and reach the appropriate outcome. So rather than jump to conclusions I'm happy right now to applaud him and his team for getting us through the night as safely as they did.

As has been said there is some uncertainty as to what we will be doing for the rest of this week but whatever that is its unlikely to be as bad as last night so that is a positive in my book.

For those of you not on board the ship that have formulated negative opinions on the rights and wrongs of this situation remember you weren't here so clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Overall we're alive and well, life has pretty much returned to normal and we have a bit more that 5 days of our holiday left so we're going to make the most of that while we can.

I am currently on board anthem. Have an ocean view balcony and balcony door was shaking so bad I almost thought it was going to fly off. Been on 12 cruises and that by far was the worst sea conditions I have been though

Folks that are actually on this nightmare of a cruise are reporting what they are going through, the "cruise experts" on this board are contradicting them in every way shape and form... not listing as reported, not an emergency, etc... Its laughable!

Hoping for safety for all and I'm not looking forward to boarding this ship, especially if the same captain will be on board!

Then don't go.

We have been on over 60 cruises. People really think that ships are floating condos. They are not. They are ships in the Ocean, and mother nature is in charge. Mother nature is unpredictable. And ALWAYS in charge.

I have been on many cruises where the captain has announced that we will have rough weather and that they will try to skirt it. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.

I remember one storm in the med, which came up totally out of nowhere. We rolled out of bed, glasses flying everywhere. A lifeboat went through a window. 40 foot seas and winds like anthem. Would I not go again. Of course not. I love cruising.

You are on a ship, NOT a ride at Disney. Don't expect perfection. No one has control over the weather.

I doubt Royal is putting $$$ above safety. S#%T happens. Thank goodness it is over.

But you have already made up your mind, so it would be better for everyone if you just cancel.

IMHO

Helaine

Edited by hmorrow

Is there even another port a long the coast that could accommodate a ship as big as anthem if it needed to? Assuming charleston probably isn't. Is Norfolk since there is a Naval Base there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how far south I wonder if Mayport couldn't get them into a port to check out the ship.

I think most of us on the ship right now have a similar view on this. It was scary and during the highest winds there were times you wondered what the outcome would be. But today you look back and realise that the captain did a fantastic job at getting us through what he described as his worst day at sea ever.

The ship has sustained some damage but most of it looks superficial and the crew are already clearing it up with temporary repairs where necessary. The gally crew and housekeeping guys have been great to get things back up and running as quickly as they have not forgetting they've had exactly the same experience we've had so full marks to them as well.

Whether the captain could have avoided this is irrelevant since it's now in the past and if he did anything wrong people with more knowledge and information than anyone on board the ship or on this board will do the analysis and reach the appropriate outcome. So rather than jump to conclusions I'm happy right now to applaud him and his team for getting us through the night as safely as they did.

As has been said there is some uncertainty as to what we will be doing for the rest of this week but whatever that is its unlikely to be as bad as last night so that is a positive in my book.

For those of you not on board the ship that have formulated negative opinions on the rights and wrongs of this situation remember you weren't here so clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Overall we're alive and well, life has pretty much returned to normal and we have a bit more that 5 days of our holiday left so we're going to make the most of that while we can.

Great info!

Any idea on the first port you will stop at?

It was just reported on News 6 Orlando that Port Canaveral has stated that the Anthem of the Seas will not be arriving today. It will spend the day at sea and is scheduled to arrive at 7am tomorrow.

Edited by mbboy2002