Down with Men in Hats in MDR

solocanadian

But why isn't it proper for men to cover up to show respect, like Jewish men who wear yarmulkes? :confused:

'For indeed a man ought not to cover his head, being the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man'

St Paul to the Corinthians

Not a believer myself - but thought this might help with some background :)

There can be exceptions. Many years ago we went on a cruise after my late husband had a serious skin cancer removed from his head. When we were invited to the captains table I spoke to the person in charge, explaining that

wearing a cap was necessary both in preventing injury to the wound and

covering an unsightly area. He assured us that there would be

no problem. As it turned out this would be our last cruise. My husband died a few months after we returned home; not from the skin cancer, but

from multiple myloma.

So sad about your loss.

My husband is also one who wears a hat all the time or even a bandana. He has to have his head covered to prevent more sun damage or to hide the scars on his head that he finds embarrassing. Many times on the ship he was greeted with 'Oh we have a pirate onboard' or 'What's with the pirate thing'?

He doesn't wear them in the dining room but we always get a table for two - quite often in a corner.

Solo, I also don't like men wearing hats in restaurants. I don't recall seeing them in the MDR, but I see it all the time in regular restaurants.

Once on a Mexican Riviera cruise I stopped by the little church in Puerta Vallarta. There were a lot of men from cruise ships who came in with hats on.

The church had to actually have a man in there to tell them to take off their hats. A couple of guys were upset that someone had asked them to take off their hats. Completely clueless.

But why isn't it proper for men to cover up to show respect, like Jewish men who wear yarmulkes? :confused:

Dunno. :) I'll let you know if I come back in the next life as a man. :D

Edited by qsuzi

My mom fusses at my dad about this. He is bald and 83 and when he takes his hat off in some restaurants he gets cold. He will sit in my house with a jacket on and his hat on if he is cold. He tells her at a restaurant that you are sitting here with a sweater on and hair so I have on my sweater and hat! If other gentlemen have their hats on we do let him wear his at lunch in the MDR. He's 83 and still able to travel so if he offends you wearing his hat in the main dining room, I will apologize for letting him wear it. He only wears it in at lunch. Mom and I pick our battles!

Men being uncovered is by tradition, which is frequently broken by Bishops in mitres and priests in birettas.

This doesn't explain all the tradition of men removing caps but on ships, ward rooms and mess halls were used to treat the injured and dying during war. On a ship, it is a sign of respect to remove your cover in the galley and ward room and today, it is still enforced. Cruise ships may not be warships, but cruise ships did serve in wartime. You will never see me wear a cover in a ship's dining facility out of respect for those who died and were seriously injured in war.

But that's the military honor and respect in me. Not everyone shares my values.

Another pet peeve of mine is men and boys wearing hats in the Main Dining Room. It's bad enough to have to put up with these rude people in the Lido.:( If you come to my home in a hat I ask for them to be removed. How many of you approve men wearing hats in the MDR?

There are many cultures which require a man to have his head covered. There are many in which it is a sign of respect. It is not for us to judge why someone may wear a head covering.

When we lived in Texas we often saw men wearing hats in restaurants, because you don't ever remove your Stetson! ;)

'For indeed a man ought not to cover his head, being the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man'

St Paul to the Corinthians

Not a believer myself - but thought this might help with some background :)

St. Paul's letters to the Corinthians are in the New Testament and would have no bearing on a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke.

I know I'm going to regret weighing in......

I don't remember seeing anyone wearing any kind of hat in the MDR on either Gala night on our Veendam cruise last May. I did see casual sun dresses worn with the old fashioned inexpensive rubber flip flops by several young ladies in the MDR. I had not seen those old type of flimsy rubber flip flops in years. These several young ladies were together so they must have got their casual evening footwear at the same place.

Lorie

Flip flops made some kind of weird come back I cannot explain. They even design(ed) them for wedding dresses! DD is in her teens and wouldn't dream of wearing them to dinner. But then, she wore a gown on gala night...

Another pet peeve of mine is men and boys wearing hats in the Main Dining Room. It's bad enough to have to put up with these rude people in the Lido.:( If you come to my home in a hat I ask for them to be removed. How many of you approve men wearing hats in the MDR?

I agree with you on hats/caps on men/boys in any dining venue.

I do not care where a person is eating when in public, they should be decent enough to remove their hat/cap unless it is a religious reason.

I do not know if Hasidic Jewish men wear their hats all the time, but they and Jewish men/boys with a Kippah (Yarmulke) are basically the only men/boys I would not blink at for wearing a head covering while dining.

To me it is a sign of respect for your dining partner and others, and is something I think was ingrained in prior generations as such. Unfortunately, respect seems to no longer being taught or learned.......

I'm with you Gail. However, unless they were at my table, I do not think I'd say anything to them. I think, in this day and age, that I/we have to be a bit more cautious in who and how I/we approach someone about it. To many people get assaulted, or worse, over the slightest thing.

Joanie

I would not wear a hat in the MDR or the Lido.

But what business is it of mine to presume that because I feel this way that others should follow my opinion?

And even more so, why on earth would I even think of approaching someone wearing a hat for no other reason because they want to. Perhaps the person was raised in a different environment than I was. Is that really such a big deal?

Bottom line, it is not my business nor would I be so presumptuous as to impose my standards on someone else.

We are huge believers in MYOB. Not interested in who wears a hat in the MDR or Lido, just interested in enjoying our cruise. Besides, is too much work to bother with what other people wear or don't wear on our cruise.

Edited by iancal

After my husband had surgery for a cancerous brain tumor followed by radiation and then additional radiation years later for the reoccurring brain tumor he preferred to wear hats. Not only for warmth but to cover some nasty scars and hair loss.

How about being compassionate instead of getting yourself worked up about what others are doing?

I also think some of you just might be showing your age :rolleyes:

###

I agree with you on hats/caps on men/boys in any dining venue.

I do not care where a person is eating when in public, they should be decent enough to remove their hat/cap unless it is a religious reason.

I do not know if Hasidic Jewish men wear their hats all the time, but they and Jewish men/boys with a Kippah (Yarmulke) are basically the only men/boys I would not blink at for wearing a head covering while dining.

To me it is a sign of respect for your dining partner and others, and is something I think was ingrained in prior generations as such. Unfortunately, respect seems to no longer being taught or learned.......

I'm with you Gail. However, unless they were at my table, I do not think I'd say anything to them. I think, in this day and age, that I/we have to be a bit more cautious in who and how I/we approach someone about it. To many people get assaulted, or worse, over the slightest thing.

Joanie

I can't believe that after reading some of the medical reasons that people have mentioned for covering their scalp that you would be so unfriendly and even ignorant and post this.

I don't think it's age so much as it is about manners. But the manners go both ways. DD had to ask her boyfriend to take his ball cap off at a restaurant where the teens were all there on their own. He had no excuse except to cover messy hair. However, I would not condone her saying anything to a stranger because that would presume to know whether he had messy hair, undeveloped manners, illness, self conscious issues, or religious beliefs observed with modern headwear. Ball caps irritate me but i know it's irrational. So I grind my teeth and keep silent. Mostly.

What if it were for religious beliefs?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

A yarmulke, a turban or a colander I will accept (especially on International Talk Like a Pirate Day).

But until a bona fide or parody religious order mandates the sideways baseball cap as mandatory headgear, I think we can continue to expect them to be removed at the dinner table. :D