Anthem storm experience

navybankerteacher

i hope you are correct. With the rank and glory come the responsibilities. They go hand in hand.he messed up bigtime!

Your comment is like saying "I hope you lose your job when you do it in a way that is fine with your employers but is not what the unknowing public wants."

The captain did an exceptional job, and absolutely nothing wrong.

Actually, no. Almost no Chief Engineers have Master's licenses, as the fields of knowledge and courses of study are vastly different, and require a vast amount of time both in school and at sea.

While the Chief Engineer, or any engineer for that matter, may take control of the propulsion engine, this is a safety concern, since the engineers can see if something is going wrong with the engines while the Master/Mate on the bridge cannot. We cannot "conn" the ship from the engine room, since in most cases there are no windows. :D If things fail, we can steer and run the engines from the engine room, based on orders via phone from the bridge.

Don't believe everything in the movie "Captain Phillips", it's Hollywood. I know a lot of the people involved.

Without doubt, you likely have forgotten more than I will ever know but I am quite sure of at least three Chief Engineers on HAL ships that hold Master's License.

I did hear about the lack of window but were there some visuals added in recent years?

I greatly appreciate all of your very excellent posts and hope you don't take this as criticism in any way but a search for clarity of what I have been told during many a very pleasant evening aboard.

Really??? If you think for one second that the Captain himself acted alone and decided the route to take with this storm, than you my friend are misinformed. I realize that you have worked on ships and that your boss when at sea is the Captain, but he will never ever make these decisions on his own. He will do as he is instructed from his boss or will be set off at the next port. This is not that hard to understand that the people paying the bills will make the major decisions. The crew on a ship will probably never know this, order and command needs to appear to remain with Captain as he is the one who will actually be getting the ship through any actual problems.

And, again, this is based on your maritime experience? Of course he is not going to violate corporate policy, as outlined in the ISM system, but that system also provides for him to use his professional judgement in situations like this. I've known many Captains who have stopped a ship, and have been on many myself. If the Captain were to stop a ship, based on his judgement, and in accordance with the company's ISM system, which must meet international standards, and got fired, the company would most likely lose its ISM certificate for a violation of the system, and loss of the ISM certificate means they cannot operate ships anymore, since their registry and insurance is based on the ISM certificate.

Without doubt, you likely have forgotten more than I will ever know but I am quite sure of at least three Chief Engineers on HAL ships that hold Master's License.

I did hear about the lack of window but were there some visuals added in recent years?

I greatly appreciate all of your very excellent posts and hope you don't take this as criticism in any way but a search for clarity of what I have been told during many a very pleasant evening aboard.

No problem. There are a few, a very few who hold dual licenses, and perhaps there are some at HAL, but they are the very rare birds.

Yeah, we have the ability to use the surveillance cameras (actually the same bow camera that goes on the website), but you wouldn't want to try steering the ship from them.

I predict this captain will never be placed in command of a ship again. Poor judgment and incompetence has no place on a ship at sea. The Cape Hatteras area is generally in heavy sea conditions because the cold North Atlantic water meets the warm Gulfstream head on. Any additional turbulence magnifies these conditions.

i hope you are correct. With the rank and glory come the responsibilities. They go hand in hand.he messed up bigtime!

It always amazes me that some people, just because they sit on the crapper four times a day, think that they are master plumbers.:rolleyes:

Really??? If you think for one second that the Captain himself acted alone and decided the route to take with this storm, than you my friend are misinformed. I realize that you have worked on ships and that your boss when at sea is the Captain, but he will never ever make these decisions on his own. He will do as he is instructed from his boss or will be set off at the next port. This is not that hard to understand that the people paying the bills will make the major decisions. The crew on a ship will probably never know this, order and command needs to appear to remain with Captain as he is the one who will actually be getting the ship through any actual problems.

Can you please inform us how you know this? You are stating your opinions like they are facts so just asking how it is you know these things. Chengkp75 has been on these boards for years and has given us tons of information based on his first hand experience and knowledge. So, again, before you call his information into question could you please tell us how you know he is wrong.

That goes for all of you that think he is misinformed. Can you please tell us how you have this first hand knowledge which you all are strongly stating.

Edited by notentirelynormal