Is it my Computer or is it CC?

Lizzie68

Is anyone else having issues when first opening this forum? For the past few days it jumps up and down initially when I open it, I go to click on something and I'm halfway up or down the page, and click on the wrong thing.:( And then it settles down. At first I thought it was my computer, but the same thing is happened on my laptop today. Any techies out there?

Is anyone else having issues when first opening this forum? For the past few days it jumps up and down initially when I open it, I go to click on something and I'm halfway up or down the page, and click on the wrong thing.:( And then it settles down. At first I thought it was my computer, but the same thing is happened on my laptop today. Any techies out there?

Not a techie but FYI I have not had issues when first opening this forum.

Haven't noticed it here, but it can happen when parts of the page, usually the advertising modules, take longer to load. If you start scrolling down the page, you might pop back up to the top once the latent elements have finished loading.

....... Any techies out there?

Lizzie while I'm not a "current" techie my PC is pretty smart and I've been getting the "Long Running Script" Pop-UP Message for the past couple of days almost every time I've been logging into CC. At that point I'm given the option to stop the Script, which I do, and then I'm into CC without a problem. POA1 can probably explain all that much better than I. :o

Thanks for the responses. I don't get.the script message but that does make sense. Trouble.is, it doesn't take a long time to load - it just jumps up and down

Whenever I post, it definitely jumps up and down a few time before it settles down.:p

Another thing mine does - it occasionally goes absolutely huge - and I have to use two fingers to reduce the size of the print. I don't know what I am doing wrong... Maybe it's a Canadian thing?:D

Weirdly enough, this time when I posted this, it didn't jump around!

Edited by Vict0riann

Whenever I post, it definitely jumps up and down a few time before it settles down.:p

Another thing mine does - it occasionally goes absolutely huge - and I have to use two fingers to reduce the size of the print. I don't know what I am doing wrong... Maybe it's a Canadian thing?:D

Weirdly enough, this time when I posted this, it didn't jump around!

You just never know!:D Glad it's not just me - I almost thought something/someone had control of my mouse and was playing games with me. I go to click on something, and it jumps up or down.:eek: But once it settles down, it stays settled.

I've had the same problems over the lat 4-5 days. I subscribe to the 'Change a Letter' Word Game Threads and I begin a reply then realise that the last post is 3-4 items further down :rolleyes:

I thought my 'puter was just reacting to all the brick dust and general rubbish that a house renovation throws up - but it's only when I'm on CC that the problem occurs. A problem shared is a problem that two of us have - and still no answer :D

Lizzie while I'm not a "current" techie my PC is pretty smart and I've been getting the "Long Running Script" Pop-UP Message for the past couple of days almost every time I've been logging into CC. At that point I'm given the option to stop the Script, which I do, and then I'm into CC without a problem. POA1 can probably explain all that much better than I. :o

Basically, when your browser encounters a script that doesn't execute and exit quickly enough, it can throw this error. Some browsers will display the error. Others will simply hang for a long period of time. I don't get any of those types of errors, but we don't all get served the same ads, so it varies, and what one person sees, another might not.

I've had the same problems over the lat 4-5 days. I subscribe to the 'Change a Letter' Word Game Threads and I begin a reply then realise that the last post is 3-4 items further down :rolleyes:

I thought my 'puter was just reacting to all the brick dust and general rubbish that a house renovation throws up - but it's only when I'm on CC that the problem occurs. A problem shared is a problem that two of us have - and still no answer :D

But we feel better knowing we are not alone.:D

Basically, when your browser encounters a script that doesn't execute and exit quickly enough, it can throw this error. Some browsers will display the error. Others will simply hang for a long period of time. I don't get any of those types of errors, but we don't all get served the same ads, so it varies, and what one person sees, another might not.

I raise my glass to POA for his techie, wine, and other help. :)

If you have your number of posts-per-page set high, try lowering it. (The default is 20). This can make a big difference on how long it takes each page to load for for long threads.

User CP

Edit Options

Thread Display Options

Number of posts per page

Edited by jtl513

If you have your number of posts-per-page set high, try lowering it. (The default is 20). This can make a big difference on how long it takes each page to load for for long threads.

User CP

Edit Options

Thread Display Options

Number of posts per page

Thanks jtl!

Ads and some other content are served up from different places than the message forum server. Any latency in getting that content delays the full display of the page.

When the page first loads, however, it will "reserve" space for those third party things. Then, as they load, that space will expand or contract to fit them. That's what causes the "bouncing". The same effect can also be seen on other websites, especially those associated with news media or other heavily ad- or graphic-filled.

Any slowdown between you and your ISP, the primary site or the 3rd party sites can cause the delays.

Sometimes re-loading your browser (not just refreshing it) will help; sometimes re-booting will help; sometimes re-starting your router and/or wireless access point will help. And, other times, none of these will help (because the internet is sometimes like your main road during commute times).

Once in awhile, I get the "long-running script" notice. But, I am finding recently that I need to refresh the page once, sometimes twice in order for the page to properly load. CC also, at times, causes my computer to freeze and I have to start over.

Lots of information here, and I really appreciate all the responses. About the ads - I have Adbloc Plus - but I guess if it is the ads causing the problem that would still apply. Weird thing is it's only been the past few days that this is happening. I will try all of the above suggestion, including resetting my router, and see if it makes a difference.

My number of posts per page is set at the default.

I'm having the same problem. Did resetting the router work for you?

I wonder if it's got something to do with the ad servers in NW Canada? You're in Alberta and Lizzie68 is in BC, right? (Apologies if I got it wrong. It's hard to keep up.)