Over the bed storage? on the Silhouette

cwbabe48

How big is the over the bed storage? Someone mentioned they brought collapsable cubes for better organization. What size would I look for.

Thanks

Also is there a hook on the bathroom door that a vera bradley or baggaliii organizer would hook on? Thanks

There are two storage bins over the bed. The collapsible boxes I bought are about 11" x 11," and I believe each bin will hold 4 of the boxes. I bought mine at Target. It is really handy to just be able to pull a box out to get what you need. There are 4 hooks on the inside of the bathroom door.

Carolyn

We travel light and usually have an extended land trip on one end of our cruise, so we keep the extras to a minimum. We have never found a need for storage cubes although many people do. We just stack, tees in one, shorts in one, workout clothes in one, etc. We always do 14+day cruise and have never had any difficulty with this method. Of course YMMV

How big is the over the bed storage? Someone mentioned they brought collapsable cubes for better organization. What size would I look for.

Thanks

Also is there a hook on the bathroom door that a vera bradley or baggaliii organizer would hook on? Thanks

Try this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2067046&page=11

Also this one

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...olstice+cabins

Another option if you use packing cubes/bags is to stack the full ones in the overhead storage. It keeps things organized and together. We pack one with shorts, one with swimsuit and pool t-shirts. hat & flip-flops , one with sock & underwear, one with folded polos.

I am too short to use the space, so I use the drawers. Depended on our travel itinerary, I do use a packing cube in the bottom of my side of the cabin for sweaters, fleece or cape.

Several companies make packing cubes. Mine are from bags but there are other options on Amazon. It is amazing how much you can pack into them.

http://www.ebags.com/search/sp/classic-packing-cubes

There is a short video how to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Aw-DNzbCo

The Ikea bag idea is interesting. We like to pack light and I find the storage cubes to be a cumbersome and weighty option.

That second link is not working for me.

Just off the Reflection 30Jan2016.

DW and I have sailed Celebrity numerous times (preferring Century class and Millenium class ships), Mercury and Summit our faves.

Whoever designed the miserable storage arrangements on the Solstice class ships must have been on a bender when they thought this up, IMHO!

Regards, Ned

We travel light and usually have an extended land trip on one end of our cruise, so we keep the extras to a minimum. We have never found a need for storage cubes although many people do. We just stack, tees in one, shorts in one, workout clothes in one, etc. We always do 14+day cruise and have never had any difficulty with this method. Of course YMMV

Agree. ;) The shelves and drawers are pretty minimal on the s class ships. So I use most of them and Dh who is tall, uses one bin for his tshirts,shorts, swimwear. The other is all his books, sweaters etc depending on the itinerary and what we needed to pack for. He finds no trouble keeping the bins organized.

The Ikea bag idea is interesting. We like to pack light and I find the storage cubes to be a cumbersome and weighty option.

That second link is not working for me.

On the page on the first link there is a link under the first line try that worth a look handy info on all storage on S class ship with sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by snowyboy

I really liked using hanging cubes in the closet on last week's Reflection cruise. My sister and stored all of our items that on our previous cruise were strewn all over the vanity top and counter underneath the TV. So in it we had one cube for all of our chargers. I felt silly bringing them, but I have had mishaps on past trips where charged items somehow lost their charge really quickly. We used one cube for our "pharmacy". After being quarantined on my first ever cruise and missing the Haga Sofia in Istanbul, I will never visit the medical bay again unless I think that if I was at home I'd go to the ER. We found use for all of the other cubes too.

This is what we used, but in white, and we bought it in store for $7.99.

http://www.target.com/p/household-essentials-closet-org-2/-/A-13719040#prodSlot=medium_1_7

We like to pack light and I find the storage cubes to be a cumbersome and weighty option.

.....The shelves and drawers are pretty minimal on the s class ships. So I use most of them and Dh who is tall, uses one bin for his tshirts,shorts, swimwear. The other is all his books, sweaters etc depending on the itinerary and what we needed to pack for. He finds no trouble keeping the bins organized.

Best advice. If you just bring along a tall person, there is no need to bother packing storage cubes. :D

I just came from Target, I was concerned this would be too tall in the closet. So I did not get anything. The packing cubes would drive me nuts. I have to see what I am picking out.

I am quite tall, 5'10 and my DH is 5'8 also we always have the beds separated so would this make it much easier to get to the over the bed storage?

Thanks

I just came from Target, I was concerned this would be too tall in the closet. So I did not get anything. The packing cubes would drive me nuts. I have to see what I am picking out.

I am quite tall, 5'10 and my DH is 5'8 also we always have the beds separated so would this make it much easier to get to the over the bed storage?

Thanks

You'll have no problem reaching the storage! I'm 5'5" and my sister is 5'2". She stood on the bed maybe one time. Here's a photo of my hanging cubes in our closet: https://goo.gl/photos/XJxVTT6F1anuTg146

Edited by irishgal1970

I do hope the new builds will have better storage.
It would be helpful if they would ask their actual passengers which features we want and don't want' date=' something they can easily do on their end of cruise surveys.

But they should have done that already, before starting to design the new ships.

Let's just hope they don't again consult the 5 women who designed the impractical cabin storage on the S-class ships. [/size']:eek:

It would be helpful if they would ask their actual passengers which features we want and don't want, something they can easily do on their end of cruise surveys.

But they should have done that already, before starting to design the new ships.

Let's just hope they don't again consult the 5 women who designed the impractical cabin storage on the S-class ships. :eek:

Given the huge differences of opinion expressed on most topics here on CC, it might not be quite as helpful as you think! :)

After seeing a suggestion of packing cubes being inordinately efficient, I bought DH and I each a few sets. Did a trial run with them on a land trip prior to our cruise. Personally, I found them to be more of a hindrance than a help.

DH and I LOVE the Silhouette, although if I had to name one thing that we did not like, it would be the limited and inconvenient clothing storage in the cabin. We had only 3 medium sized drawers, besides the over the bed storage. I did as a previous poster said and simply made a pile of each clothing item and slid each pile into the overhead bin. Stood on the bed to reach it as I am under 5' tall. We also found the "coffee table" to be in the way, so I tucked it in the very small area between the closet and the sofa, which decreased access to the closet.

I do agree that the storage options in the cabins could have been better thought out.

For us, the awkward above bed cupboards are a pain. You might be able to somewhat "organize" your neatly folded clothing items at the beginning of your cruise. But by the end of the sailing? It gets messy. Neat freaks be warned!

We shouldn't have to invest in storage cube systems. And we shouldn't have to be frustrated by limited and inefficient storage. But the Solstice Class ships are a done deal. If you're bothered by the storage issue, I would urge you to let Celebrity know. If opinions are expressed, perhaps they'll pay attention to adequate "passenger-friendly" closets and drawers on the new ship(s), currently in the design process.