Tipping Advice?

cmpells87

We do not plan on removing our automatic gratuities but are looking for more information on what others do in regards to additional tips?

We are wondering what people do for tips for their room stewards, dining room waiters, bartenders..any others? We are doing a 7 night cruise on the Oasis.

TIA!

Where service by our cabin attendant and dining room servers goes above the usual expectations, we do tip extra. For a 7-night to 9-night cruise, we've often given the cabin attendant an extra $20, our table waiter an extra $20, and the assistant waiter $10-20 (the larger figure if we've had extra beverage requests and the assistant fulfilled these).

On our last cruise, we had breakfast and lunch several times in the main dining room and had the same servers for these meals, by chance, and they also received a little extra as well as a verbal comment to the headwaiter about the quality of their service.

As long as you pay the suggested amounts...you're done. That should cover your normal, great service! You will know if someone does something "out of the ordinary" for you..and you can then tip accordingly.

We've only had a few cabin attendants that didn't get a bit extra...but we've had a waiter that didn't really deserve the "standard" tip...although we didn't reduce them! We simply gave the "extra" we had budgeted to the ass't waiter, who was awesome and made dinner special, despite the slow, cranky waiter....

Where service by our cabin attendant and dining room servers goes above the usual expectations, we do tip extra. For a 7-night to 9-night cruise, we've often given the cabin attendant an extra $20, our table waiter an extra $20, and the assistant waiter $10-20 (the larger figure if we've had extra beverage requests and the assistant fulfilled these).

On our last cruise, we had breakfast and lunch several times in the main dining room and had the same servers for these meals, by chance, and they also received a little extra as well as a verbal comment to the headwaiter about the quality of their service.

We're along the same lines. We do tip the Concierge Lounge waiters since we are D+ and use them every night. But the usual staff, it really depends. You'll know if you want to tip extra or not. I've tipped $40 extra before to the Cabin Steward but it was well deserved. Usually $20-30 for Waiter and $15-25 for Assistant Waiter, sometimes more, depending on how I feel they have performed.

It's really up to you. Don't feel compelled to tip extra, but if you feel the have done a great job, don't feel limited by our comments on how much. Tip whatever you think they deserve.

We tip extra with cash. If we get a drink, we will add an extra dollar on the paper, but we also always give our favourite bartenders cash towards the end of the cruise. Same with waiters (if you tip extra on the paper at specialty restaurants it gets split up among the whole team, but cash goes directly to the person we wish to recongize - this is not the case with bartenders btw, they keep the tip on the paper or themselves). We also always leave our room steward an extra cash tip as well.

This is pretty similar to what we do.

I have been in countries where tipping is actually an insult or just not allowed. Wondering about islands in the Southern Caribbean and guidelines regarding tipping tour guides, etc. Is tipping encouraged on all the islands or taboo on any of the islands?:rolleyes:

I have been in countries where tipping is actually an insult or just not allowed. Wondering about islands in the Southern Caribbean and guidelines regarding tipping tour guides, etc. Is tipping encouraged on all the islands or taboo on any of the islands?:rolleyes:

I've not seen tipping to be taboo on any of the islands we have visited in the Southern Caribbean.

I usually toss our room attendant a $50 bill on day one for a 7 day, maybe a $20 for a 3 day. We don't eat in the MDR, so they get nothing from me.

Bartenders; I shop around on the first day and find one that makes a good drink and has a good attitude, then I toss him a $20 as well, along with a buck or two per drink for the rest of the week. I'm usually pretty loyal to that one bartender when they are working.

To each their own though. I just hate hearing about those cheapskates that refuse to tip anything, and then want the auto-gratuities removed too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aside from the auto tips, which we never mess with, we will often tip based on things done. For example, on our last cruise we wanted a top sheet on the bed (not sure why they don't just do this, but...) and a couple of extra pillows and some other minor stuff. So, when we came back and it was all done we left $5 with a note thanking the attendant for taking care of us.

At the end of the cruise we typically leave (pun intended) another $20 in an envelope if the service was really good (which it typically is).

We do My Time dining so unless we have the same waiter all the time, we don't tip extra there.

For bar staff I'll add on an extra couple of $$$ if they bring us snacks or something with the drinks or if they are particularly nice to us and enhance the experience. Sometimes we'll give an extra tip at the end of the cruise to bar staff that have been particularly great.

If we ever get a 2 for one deal in a bar or we use coupons we always tip as though we'd paid the full price. We also tip $1/drink in the Diamond Club. It's still way less than paying for the drinks.

I adopted, what some have suggested on CC over the years, the practice of carrying around a bunch of $1 bills so I have them available when needed. It's easy to keep them in my pocket.

We really feel like the auto tips are pretty generous so all of this is just extra and certainly up to each individuals discretion. The OP asked what "we" do so just trying to answer. I am certainly not preaching anything or judging anyone who does anything else.

Tom

We tip extra with cash. If we get a drink, we will add an extra dollar on the paper, but we also always give our favourite bartenders cash towards the end of the cruise. Same with waiters (if you tip extra on the paper at specialty restaurants it gets split up among the whole team, but cash goes directly to the person we wish to recongize - this is not the case with bartenders btw, they keep the tip on the paper or themselves). We also always leave our room steward an extra cash tip as well.

I never knew that the bartenders get to keep the tip on the paper. I just assumed they split tips with other bartenders. This is good to know.

I never knew that the bartenders get to keep the tip on the paper. I just assumed they split tips with other bartenders. This is good to know.

We thought so too! We got talking with one of the bartenders on Anthem last week and he explained it to us.

I was told if you write the tip on the bill it goes into the tip pool and is divided up. That is why i always tip in cash. We do anytime dinning and will leave a small tip every night in the MDR because we usually never have the same waiter. Tip 1 buck a drink. The room steward around $50 for a seven day cruise. I never tip before the last day for stewards and extra to the bartenders. you have to earn a tip not going to bribe to get good service. You should expect and get good service without pre tipping. We have always had excellent service doing it that way. If we ended up with poor service i would adjust tips accordingly, never had to do that yet.

We tip $5 to our fave bartenders mid week, and again at the end of the week if they continue to be awsome. Sometimes the room steward gets $20, but only if he's done something above and beyond. I never tip our waiters more, becuase I never carry cash or have a slip to sign. But some waiters have been great, I should have probably tipped them more!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How does it work with the for-fee dining like the steak house or Chef’s Table? I understand that a standard gratuity is included in the fee. Is that correct? If the reservation is made on-line and paid before the cruise, is there a charge slip provided with a place for additional tip (if desired) or would cash need to be used?

Thanks,

Tim

How does it work with the for-fee dining like the steak house or Chef’s Table? I understand that a standard gratuity is included in the fee. Is that correct? If the reservation is made on-line and paid before the cruise, is there a charge slip provided with a place for additional tip (if desired) or would cash need to be used?

Thanks,

Tim

They will bring you a slip that is for $0.00 with a line to leave a tip. In this case though it is better to give cash because the tips left on the paper are shared among all the servers.

I had a question about tipping while on a recent cruise. We were in a GS and had a gold card so we visited the concierge lounge during happy hour every evening and received excellent service from the bartender. The concierge made some excursion arrangements for us.

On the last night we gave a cash tip to the bartender and her assistant, but I had no idea whether or not to tip the concierge.

Is it customary to tip the concierge? Does it depend on whether or not you use his services? Any suggested tip amount?

I had a question about tipping while on a recent cruise. We were in a GS and had a gold card so we visited the concierge lounge during happy hour every evening and received excellent service from the bartender. The concierge made some excursion arrangements for us.

On the last night we gave a cash tip to the bartender and her assistant, but I had no idea whether or not to tip the concierge.

Is it customary to tip the concierge? Does it depend on whether or not you use his services? Any suggested tip amount?

I always tip them, but only if used their services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD