Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

Sure, no argument there. However, I'd also rather be on a 3 azipod ship with one azipod out, than a 2 azipod ship with one azipod out.
And I agree 100% with you, but unfortunately 2 larger pods or airplane engines cost less than 3 comparably smaller ones, and money talks. Early 747s had 4 engines and carried fewer passengers less distance at higher fuel burn than current 2 engine 777s; I don't have hard numbers in front of me, but I'd be pretty sure that 777 reliability is also better than early 747s. Nothing is ever perfect, but I'd think that azimuth thruster reliability is continuously improving (but not a lot of good if you are the one person in 10,000 stuck with the failed one:rolleyes:).

Side-note: I think RCI has only used ABB pods, while the pods that RCCL's Celebrity M-class had so much trouble with (and resulted in a large cash settlement) were Rolls-Royce/Alstom Mermaid azimuth thrusters. Azipod is the registered brand name for ABB Group's range of electric podded azimuth thrusters.

Of course you looked at it during the 2 minutes, I was trying to find a better link...sigh. It's fixed now.

Hey yes, I did..at first I thought maybe divers but then I remembered my daughter's fiance(officer on another line) telling me that they can be worked on from inside the ship and I found that illustration.

Edited by KerriL

LOL @ "Weatherman critizing someone else's decision"

Poncho1973 Your 2016 hash tag has been found. It might not be the one of the year, but it could be in the running. 20plus cruises gets the credit.

#weatherman#critizing#someone#else's#decision

There was one thread where 20 pages disappeared in 5 minutes. A lot of drama was lost on those 20 pages, thankfully I might add.:)

It also appears that some of the over the tops posters are quiet today. Maybe a time out from the mods or perhaps they have something else better to today?

I have just been reading occasionally, haven't seen any reason to post, as nothing to add and said over the top posters are not spouting their drivel.

That said, I figured I better post, just so, I am not accidentally lumped in their class.:D

JC

The reason they didnt disembark the passengers in Port Canaveral is becase of some maritime laws that permit them, as a foreign ship, so only do certain things.

For example, they can do what they did, and come back to create a full loop, without hitting another port, and be fine.

If they did want to make a straight shot, they would have had to stop at a foreign port (non-US) first, which they did not.

The fine is somewhere along the lines of $300 per person, from what I've heard over the past few days.

Please don't take this as me saying it is right or wrong.....but just informing that this was probably one of the major factors at play.

Whatever bad decision that was made or not. Dumping thousands of people off in Florida when most live within a 100 miles of NY City would be an even worse decision. Nobody had flights after the cruise that were flying from Orlando.

The ship was in zero danger, so why would they go to Port Canaveral?:confused::confused:

JC

Great. Putting money in front of people's lives? Just great.

Jackson - what marksoe posted describes what people mistakenly refer to as the "Jones Act". There is a law in the books that foreign flagged vessels have to stop at a foreign port if not doing a closed loop sailing. The law is properly called "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

It was not a money decision made by RCI but compliance with the law

I don't know if anyone has posted this in this thread or the others; they are so voluminous.

Should give some reassurance to the upcoming cruisers.

:)

Thank you so much for sharing this. Most informative thing I've read yet! It makes a lot of sense, too.

Hoping Anthem is "all better" and able to sail tomorrow.

Whatever bad decision that was made or not. Dumping thousands of people off in Florida when most live within a 100 miles of NY City would be an even worse decision. Nobody had flights after the cruise that were flying from Orlando.

The ship was in zero danger, so why would they go to Port Canaveral?:confused::confused:

JC

Also the logistics to transport all those people to NYC

Chartering 200 planes

finding rooms for 4000pax till those flight were available

Im thinking a lot more people would be complaining If RCCL had decided to dump them in Canaveral

Edited by jonbgd

Nope. I am never disappointed when you show up.

Even though I enjoy trolls, it is refreshingly nice here today. Haven't felt much need to defend people today. Which is an amazing change.

JC

A fresh change, from the last 5 days or so.

The difference with the ships mentioned in other posts sailing down one pod is that those ships have three pods and thus they still had redundancy if another pod failed. Anthem only has two pods so if one is completely down they no longer have redundancy and thus would lose the ability to safely return to port if the one remaining pod fails. I do not believe the Coast Guard would allow them to sail with passengers until they at least have partial power to the failed pod.

Another big difference, if I'm reading the posts correctly, is that those ships were sailing on routes within the Caribbean from southern ports. A problem that causes a ship sailing from NY to the Caribbean and back in 8 days to slow significantly could, I would assume, be much more disruptive to the schedule.

I'm here....have been lurking...too timid to post...I had someone following me around yesterday to be mean:rolleyes:

You're right JC it is refreshing just to be able to talk a little without defense.

Did you see the time lapse video on the original thread? I didn't notice much of a heel on that did you?:o But that was some wave action!

Edited by BecciBoo

It doesnt matter what you say or what kind of facts are brought in. There are some here that are going to vilify the big bad evil cruise company no matter what. In fact, they appear much more rabid and hell bent on proving their point than the "cheerleaders" they are whining and moaning about.

Why don't you read the first post in the thread here and then re-think that position? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314404

They are accessible from inside the ship. It appears to be a clutch problem inside the port azipod. They are replacing all clutches in both azipods right now per an article I just read.

https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard-crews-working-to-repair-broken-azipod-on-storm-damaged-anthem-of-the-seas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29

I've got a car with a lot more miles on it than the Anthem has and I still have my original clutch. Tell the captain to quit riding the clutch.