Drink Package Calculator

I see questions all the time on this board from people trying to figure out - "Should I buy a drink package or should I pay as I go?".

I have put together the attached Excel Spreadsheet to help you figure out the answer to that exact question for yourself! Just fill in the numbers in RED in columns C, D & E and away you go!

I selfishly geared it toward myself - trying to figure out Premium package vs. pay-as-you-go but I think I have it worked out to compare all packages.

At $10 per cocktail I believe it's worth it for me to buy the package. At $12 it's no question.

Let me know if you use it and find any flaws or needed refinements.

Bon Voyage!

Drink_Package_Calculator-2016.xls

If it helps to know where I'm coming from - I'm not a big drinker at home. BUT - I go on a cruise less than once a year AND I'm on vacation. The last time I cruised I had the Premium package and I swore I drank more in those 7 days then in the previous 9-12 months. Yet I only got "drunk" (vs. tipsy) once when a bartender had a heavy hand. :eek:

Another thing about me is I'm kind of cheap so I don't want to lose money, but if I can get within $30 - 3 drinks - it's worth it to me to have the package and not give it a thought when ordering. I'm also so cheap that if I didn't have the package there would definitely be times when I wouldn't order a drink when I wanted one just to save money. Which wouldn't be a bad thing for my waistline but not how I want to feel while on vacation. :D

I see questions all the time on this board from people trying to figure out - "Should I buy a drink package or should I pay as I go?".

I have put together the attached Excel Spreadsheet to help you figure out the answer to that exact question for yourself! Just fill in the numbers in RED in columns C, D & E and away you go!

I selfishly geared it toward myself - trying to figure out Premium package vs. pay-as-you-go but I think I have it worked out to compare all packages.

At $10 per cocktail I believe it's worth it for me to buy the package. At $12 it's no question.

Bon Voyage!

Column J Soft Drink row is displaying a cost even when the quantity is zero. Inconsistent error is displaying.

Column J Soft Drink row is displaying a cost even when the quantity is zero. Inconsistent error is displaying.

Column J is the Soda Package so the amount shown is the daily cost of the package. Whether you have 0 or 20+ sodas you would pay the same amount daily if you bought that package.

Care to share which way it worked out for you - package or no package?

Column J is the Soda Package so the amount shown is the daily cost of the package. Whether you have 0 or 20+ sodas you would pay the same amount daily if you bought that package.

Care to share which way it worked out for you - package or no package?

Looking ay royal replenish Where does the daily cost of that package calculate? Shouldn't it be in column I somewhere?

Looking ay royal replenish Where does the daily cost of that package calculate? Shouldn't it be in column I somewhere?

Yes, it is the $23.62 ($19 + 18%) shown on the Non-Alcoholic Cocktails/Frozen Drinks row for each day. I just picked one of the beverage choices to show the daily cost. As you can see the premium coffee, soft drink, bottled water and fresh squeezed juice all show as blank since they are included. Does that make sense?

Bon Voyage!

Thanks, a wonderful tool.:D

Yes, it is the $23.62 ($19 + 18%) shown on the Non-Alcoholic Cocktails/Frozen Drinks row for each day. I just picked one of the beverage choices to show the daily cost. As you can see the premium coffee, soft drink, bottled water and fresh squeezed juice all show as blank since they are included. Does that make sense?

OOPS - Error in formula for Replenish and Refresh. Daily total should be $22.62 and $9.44 respectively.

Fixed on the attached updated spreadsheet. Sorry about that. Caught the mistake for the Ultimate & Premium packages but must have gotten interrupted before completing my check.

I also created the spreadsheet in Excel 2010 but had to save it to Excel 97-2003 to be able to upload it so I'm waiting to see if something pops up that didn't convert correctly.

Drink_Package_Calculator-2016.xls

OOPS - Error in formula for Replenish and Refresh. Daily total should be $22.62 and $9.44 respectively.

Fixed on the attached updated spreadsheet. Sorry about that. Caught the mistake for the Ultimate & Premium packages but must have gotten interrupted before completing my check.

I also created the spreadsheet in Excel 2010 but had to save it to Excel 97-2003 to be able to upload it so I'm waiting to see if something pops up that didn't convert correctly.

Very interesting, thanks.

Hi, I'm booked on Harmony in August. Looking at the spreadsheet it shows Ultimate @ $59, Premium @ $49, etc. Does this include the gratuities? If not, the price (rounded) will be Ultimate $70, Premium $58.

However, when I look at my Cruise planner, it shows Ultimate @ $76, Premium @ $63 (and the other packages similarly are a few dollars higher than the spreadsheet if I add the gratuities into the daily price shown in column D).

Has the price of the packages just gone up again, or am I misunderstanding something? Also, does the price shown in the Cruise planner already include gratuities or do I need to add these in as well (in which case the price is even further apart)?

I've tried to attach a screen shot of the relevant cruise planner page - not sure if this will work!

520855469_Drinkpackageshot.jpg.11314b15de3077cb3882dc9f77524fd5.jpg

Edited by abo

Hi, I'm booked on Harmony in August. Looking at the spreadsheet it shows Ultimate @ $59, Premium @ $49, etc. Does this include the gratuities?...

No, those prices are before gratuities. Add 18% to those prices.

I can't explain the discrepancy. Are you cruising out of Barcelona? Booked in other than US funds?

No, those prices are before gratuities. Add 18% to those prices.

I can't explain the discrepancy. Are you cruising out of Barcelona? Booked in other than US funds?

We are cruising out of Barcelona, booked in USD with US TA. The difference, I have just worked out, is exactly 8% if the 18% gratuities is included in the on screen cruise planner price, 28% if gratuities not included!

Edited by abo

Spanish VAT is 21% so that doesn't calculate out correctly still. Does Spanish VAT still get added if bought online ahead of the cruise? I thought it applied to on-board purchases.

I've read that the VAT can be applied, even to pre-cruise purchases, if the cruise starts in Barcelona and stays entirely within the Schengen area.

I've read that the VAT can be applied, even to pre-cruise purchases, if the cruise starts in Barcelona and stays entirely within the Schengen area.

Yes, I think there's all sorts of complicated rules, beyond my knowledge I'm sure! But even allowing for 21% VAT, assuming that is the case, there's still another 7% difference between the prices in the spreadsheet at the on screen cruise planner price. However I look at it, there seems to be a price raise included here.

Yes, I think there's all sorts of complicated rules, beyond my knowledge I'm sure! But even allowing for 21% VAT, assuming that is the case, there's still another 7% difference between the prices in the spreadsheet at the on screen cruise planner price. However I look at it, there seems to be a price raise included here.

I'd say the mystery is the 8% difference you noted above. The prices in the Cruise Planner were pre-gratuity, so we have to start by including the 18% gratuity. Could be a price increase, could be a VAT other than 21%, not enough info yet.